Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:45 PM

9 posts, read 79,643 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

How different is the indian community, restaurants, events in Palo Alto as compared to Sunnyvale?

My wife has a job there but I am wondering if we should stay in Sunnyvale and she continue to commute there daily [ not much of a commute by car by she doesn't know how to drive yet ]

We like it in Sunnyvale - we have a good social circle, safe place to live, reasonable rents, good Indian restaurants. I have been here for a year and most of the friends I made are either in Sunnyvale or Santa Clara - I can't think of any in Palo Alto. So, does the Indian crowd avoid Palo Alto?

From these forums, I got a sense that Palo Alto has higher rent in general.

No kids yet - so schools/ day care etc is not a consideration for now.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,563 times
My sense is Indians from India (as opposed to US-born Indian Americans) who are grad students at Stanford Engineering tend to live in on-campus housing, rather than PA itself

Early in their post-grad careers, guys often rent a place closer to office (when they're working non-stop anyway) in some newer apt complex deep in SiliconValley where rents are cheaper than PA

And those who have made a few dollars seem to prefer building new houses in Atherton or Los Altos Hills, as generally many Indians dislike the older housing stock of PA and the greater hassles of tearing down an existing house to build a new house in PA

Don't believe that this migration pattern for Indians has changed much in decades....considering both Indians I know who arrived at Stanford back in '60s....to Indians who are more recent alums of Stanford

Old 12-18-2008, 06:35 PM

9 posts, read 79,643 times
Thanks hsw for your opinion.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 10,949 times
HiI am Puneeth Kumar A, will be joining stanford university as postdoctoral fellow by mid jan 2010. I am searching for housing facility near stanford univerisity. If anyone have information with house / apts for share please let me know.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:17 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,967 times
Stanford offers housing placement services to its students. Why don't you stop by the office?

Old 03-10-2012, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 30,237 times
I am going to join at Stanford University school of medicine, Palo Alto, CA. I am looking for 1BHK house in a reasonal price. I am coming from Boston now. I am with family, my wife is a software engineer working at Boston now and my daughter is 4 years old. SO i am expecting a apartment which should have

-good public school for my daughter,
-able to get the software job for my wife near palo alto.
-having good Indian community, especially Tamil speaking families.
Expecting your reply with the place and apartment name in that area. I am ready to travel 30-40 minutes either by Public transport or by car. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:40 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Have you contacted the school housing office? They often have access to housing available only to students.

I don't think your wife will have any problem finding a job in the area but she will need to have access to a car.
Hard to know if your daughter will be old enough to start kindergarten but even if she will be you will need child care. Again, ask your university what resources will be available to your family

Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
From my perspective, the Indian community in Palo Alto tends to be more 1st-2nd generation US citizens. They likely have come from a privileged background, ended up going to a prestigious university and hold good jobs in the valley (not necessarily in the tech sector).

On the other hand, Sunnyvale Indians tend to be more recent immigrants and are heavily concentrated in the tech sector, doing development-type work. They seem to live in Sunnyvale/Santa Clara due to the large Indian population, lower cost of living (relative to Palo Alto), the proximity to tech jobs and the high number of rental apartments in the area.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 AM

Thanks Nell and warrior for your information.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 PM

anybody could provide the better indian populated apartment names in Sunnyvale, CA area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose