Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,609 times

Advertisements

How about Almaden Valley in San Jose? Unpretentious, but big houses with great neighborhoods. 30 min from the beach, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 PM

226 posts, read 1,126,612 times
Consider Fremont and Castro Valley as well. Both have good schools, with the exception of Kennedy High School in Fremont, and homes are less expensive than on the peninsula. If you are willing to drive a little further, the Tri-Valley has a lot of "obnoxious" homes and good schools with a good balance between academics and athletics. 1.6 million dollars can buy a large home in the East Bay, possibly with a pool, although you may need to install it after you buy the home as the pool may not be pre-installed.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:24 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferInILL View Post
I will be relocating because of a job transfer to Palo Alto. I know that Palo is a nice area but it honestly isn't really my style. A little to pretentious in a hippie, politically liberal, eductaionally snobby kind of way (no offense, those are all great qualities just not for me.) Where should I start looking here are my guidelines:

Willing to drive 40 mins each way
Housing costs up to $1,600,000
2 children age 16 and 7.
want GOOD schools but I don't care if they are status school districts
I would like to live near the ocean
my 16 year old wants a big obnoxious house with a pool and a school where football (cheerleading!) is big.
My 7 year old wants to be able to ride a bike to her friends house and walk to school.

I was thinking maybe Santa Cruz, but was told the commute was pretty brutal. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
A lot of the things you want can't be found all in one spot. Santa Cruz is also hippie-ish...although less pretentious than Palo Alto. Besides a brutal commute, I don't think the schools in Santa Cruz are all that great.

Most places within 5 miles of the ocean have cool weather year round...so not exactly conducive to swimming pools. Santa Cruz is the exception....because of local geography, Santa Cruz, by the standards of coastal Northern CA, has warm summers (mid to upper 70s by day, low to mid 50s at night).

However, I would defer to what the other posters have said. There are plenty of places that are within 1/2 hour of the ocean that would meet all or most of your criteria.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQsanjose View Post
How about Almaden Valley in San Jose? Unpretentious, but big houses with great neighborhoods. 30 min from the beach, too.
Almaden Valley might be a good choice. They do have good public schools there but not quite as status-y as what you have in Palo Alto. You get more for your housing dollar there than in P.A. Almaden Valley is more suburban in character, so no cute little downtown like Palo Alto has. I'm guessing it's also one of the more conservative parts of the South Bay. If it's liberal, it's definitely not of the hippie variety.

The downside to A.V. is that it is that the commute would be a bit of a drag, but still well within 40 miles of P.A. Personally, I would not want to commute from A.V. to P.A. every day....but I live a block away from my job, so I'm definitely spoiled in that regard. Lots of people do much worse commutes (than from AV to PA) in this area, but I personally think they're all nuts.

Also, realistically, I think A.V. is probably more like 45 minutes (from the time you get in your car until the time you find a parking space and are actually enjoying the beach) from the beach in Santa Cruz, not 30 minutes.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:47 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,074,941 times
A lot of the things you're looking for can be found in Mountain View, right next door to Palo Alto. It's a much less pretentious community that has excellent schools, good property values, and a very walkable downtown area with great restaurants and stores. We have independent shops and chains within a small area. The city has a public swimming pool near downtown, and we have many developments right in town that have their own swimming pools. Los Altos is nearby and many of the houses have individual pools there.

The city government is very well run, with a strong city council and city manager. The mayor position rotates among council members. The current mayor is an Asian American woman. The town is pretty diverse, with many different economic and social groups represented. You can see herons, geese and many other animals who live in the San Francisco Bay at our beautiful Shoreline Park, and 30-45 minutes to the ocean, either north in Pacifica/Half Moon Bay or south in Santa Cruz.

The city website will give you a lot of information about services and the community. If this post sounds like an advertisement, it's because I moved here from Chicago 14 years ago and absolutely love it here. My house near downtown has a backyard garden, and more types of fruit trees than you can possibly imagine. I can walk downtown in 5 minutes or be in San Francisco in 45 minutes to an hour.

Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose