Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 15,779 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I work in Palo Alto and my wife works in Pleasanton.
We have friends living on Capitol Ave near Alum Rock.

We plan to take an apt/condo for rent near that location (around 101 - 280/680 intersection).

My office is close to 280 in Palo Alto. I will take freeway 280 all the way from AlumRock to my office. In normal traffic google maps says drive time is around 30min.
My question to experienced folks here is - How bad is the commute during peak office hrs?

Thanks,
Googlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:41 PM

563 posts, read 808,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlietdr View Post
Hi,

I work in Palo Alto and my wife works in Pleasanton.
We have friends living on Capitol Ave near Alum Rock.

We plan to take an apt/condo for rent near that location (around 101 - 280/680 intersection).

My office is close to 280 in Palo Alto. I will take freeway 280 all the way from AlumRock to my office. In normal traffic google maps says drive time is around 30min.
My question to experienced folks here is - How bad is the commute during peak office hrs?

Thanks,
Googlie
I'm guessing 50-70 minutes. But I'm curious why you'd pick a location like Capitol Avenue?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:54 PM

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know .. 50-70min one-way is a lot of travel time .. hmmm ..

Our close friends live on Capitol Ave near Berryessa intersection .. so we want to stay close to them ..
Why did you say "A location like capitol Ave"? Did I miss something?

Regards.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 PM

767 posts, read 1,745,875 times
appx 60min in stop and go traffic seems realistic

so how often do u want/need to see your friends on capitol ave?

do u need to see them every day?

if not, i suggest you move/live as close to your worksite as possible to minimize your commute the misery of which will be maximized or minimized by its length

then you can easily drive to see your friends on the weekends as well as weeknights after rush hour as most such traffis is minimal and easily circimvented by checking traffic conditions in your smartphone

to give you perspective, the silicon valley is not that big and a traffic-free/light auto trip from palo alto to alum rock takes maybe 20min

thus i strongly suggest you live as close to work in palo alto as possible

Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for letting me know .. 50-70min one-way is a lot of travel time .. hmmm ..

Our close friends live on Capitol Ave near Berryessa intersection .. so we want to stay close to them ..
Why did you say "A location like capitol Ave"? Did I miss something?

Regards.
Never mind that, I was thinking of Capitol & McKee. A few years ago, I remembered reading on here that some user's apartment had been repeatedly buglarized and they warned people against moving there. Berryessa is a decent area, pretty safe, and distinguishes itself from East San Jose. Average schools, average sprawl housing, average everything. Do you wish to avoid living by the light rail line due to the noise? I still think you should try to live closer to Palo Alto, as long commutes are never good on your stress levels. Maybe Milpitas (only about 5-8minutes from where your friend lives if you stick by 680.)
Using VTA express buses might ease the stress a bit if your firm on staying close to your friend. There is express route 104 from Pentiencia Creek Transit Center to Palo Alto. Only two trips in each direction though.
This thread might be helpful to you:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-j...berryessa.html

Old 07-15-2013, 08:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,570,852 times
Can you stay with your friends some weeknight and try out the commute? I just really think you'll be miserable in that traffic every day.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:10 PM

Thanks very much for your inputs. Yeah, we have good old friends living there and we would pretty much like to hang-out everyday.
Based on your feedback, commute seems to be a killer. Will look at other options. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks very much for your inputs. Yeah, we have good old friends living there and we would pretty much like to hang-out everyday.
Based on your feedback, commute seems to be a killer. Will look at other options. Thanks.
You still have the express bus option if you choose to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose