Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 05:44 PM

22 posts, read 17,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalana View Post
Cupertino schools and neighborhoods are not diverse and are predominantly Asian. Also, based on my experience, I would not recommend putting a child with ADHD into that school district because quite likely they will always be behind their overachieving peers.

Having grown up near DC I can say you will LOVE the summers (and winters) here. Low humidity and no bugs! Welcome!
Thanks for that. So what areas would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 10:28 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,048,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky1110 View Post
Thanks for that. So what areas would you recommend?

You're going to find the most diversity in San Jose but the neighborhoods with the best schools tend to be the least diverse in my observations. They'll be predominantly Asian and white. I honestly don't see it being much, if any, of an issue for you guys though. I grew up in the San Jose area and the black kids in my class and my neighborhood were always accepted and race wasn't an issue for us. I know there are racist and nasty people anywhere, but the Bay Area as a whole is very diverse with a live and let live mentality.

I think you should focus your search on some of San Jose's better areas, along with the cities of Campbell and Santa Clara. I think those will give you a combination of decent to good schools, closer proximity to work and more diversity. San Jose is big, so I'd probably start with areas like Almaden Valley and Cambrian Park (zip codes 95118, 95120, 95124). There are plenty of other nice parts of SJ, but those specific areas have good schools and more diversity than some other nice parts of the city.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:42 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,594,487 times
The parent-driven academic atmosphere at Cupertino High is intense, Homestead High School would work better for many. Look at areas that feed into Homestead. Keep in mind the fact that school enrollment areas are often not what you would expect, verify any information you are given by a realtor.

Classic comment from a relative who taught at 'Tino, 'Football Games are for the band, not athletics.' He saw one mother berate her daughter for not being accepted at Harvard although she was accepted at Berkley which offers one of the best programs in her area of interest. 'Nuf said.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,379,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The parent-driven academic atmosphere at Cupertino High is intense, Homestead High School would work better for many. Look at areas that feed into Homestead. Keep in mind the fact that school enrollment areas are often not what you would expect, verify any information you are given by a realtor.

Classic comment from a relative who taught at 'Tino, 'Football Games are for the band, not athletics.' He saw one mother berate her daughter for not being accepted at Harvard although she was accepted at Berkley which offers one of the best programs in her area of interest. 'Nuf said.
That said, 'Tino actually has a bit more balanced culture than Lynbrook and Monta Vista, believe it or not.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
You're going to find the most diversity in San Jose but the neighborhoods with the best schools tend to be the least diverse in my observations. They'll be predominantly Asian and white. I honestly don't see it being much, if any, of an issue for you guys though. I grew up in the San Jose area and the black kids in my class and my neighborhood were always accepted and race wasn't an issue for us. I know there are racist and nasty people anywhere, but the Bay Area as a whole is very diverse with a live and let live mentality.

I think you should focus your search on some of San Jose's better areas, along with the cities of Campbell and Santa Clara. I think those will give you a combination of decent to good schools, closer proximity to work and more diversity. San Jose is big, so I'd probably start with areas like Almaden Valley and Cambrian Park (zip codes 95118, 95120, 95124). There are plenty of other nice parts of SJ, but those specific areas have good schools and more diversity than some other nice parts of the city.
Nice. I’ll check those out. Is there anywhere in the East Bay that meets my criteria that you can recommend with a somewhat reasonable commute? Hayward Hills? San Leandro?

Old 10-11-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post

That’s what I heard so I’d rather avoid that school district all together.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:57 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky1110 View Post
Nice. I’ll check those out. Is there anywhere in the East Bay that meets my criteria that you can recommend with a somewhat reasonable commute? Hayward Hills? San Leandro?
Nothing in the East Bay is going to be a reasonable commute to Sunnyvale, unfortunately. Possibly Fremont may be less bad of a commute than cities further north, but it doesn't meet your criteria any better than Santa Clara/Sunnyvale/Campbell/West SJ/etc.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:03 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
My impression of Sunnyvale and Santa Clara is random sprawl. Maybe that's an unfair generalization, but that's my impression.
Oh, it's true...but that also describes nearly the entire South Bay outside of the cute little one-street downtowns. Downtown San Jose is the only place that has more than one street in a row of something that isn't random sprawl, but once you get out of downtown, SJ too starts sprawling out pretty quickly.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:37 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,670,042 times
Did you check out Palo Alto or East Palo Alto?

I think that might be a good fit with your desires and commute, etc.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:57 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,636,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Did you check out Palo Alto or East Palo Alto?

I think that might be a good fit with your desires and commute, etc.
Palo Alto is outside of the budget, and East Palo Alto has quite a bit of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose