Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:50 AM

21 posts, read 45,569 times

Advertisements

We are a family with 2 young children and currently living in Florida .I will move to San Jose in June due to a job. We are going to rent a place in Downtown or Japantown.
I don't know much about the schools and the district itself. I'm trying to do some research since I don't live there.

I was just wondering if anyone here knows much about the elementary schools in that school District? Which ones are the good ones? Which ones should I stay away from?

Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 AM

3,250 posts, read 6,317,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothschild_Josh View Post
We are a family with 2 young children and currently living in Florida .I will move to San Jose in June due to a job. We are going to rent a place in Downtown or Japantown.
I don't know much about the schools and the district itself. I'm trying to do some research since I don't live there.

I was just wondering if anyone here knows much about the elementary schools in that school District? Which ones are the good ones? Which ones should I stay away from?

Thank you very much
Definitely stay away from the schools in downtown or Japantown areas. They are the lowest rated in San Jose. Look in the Evergreen area or the westside near Cupertino for the good schools.

This is in the downtown area,API of 2:

Peter Burnett Middle in San Jose , CA - School Ranking, Test Scores

Compare to the Evergreen area,API 10:

James Franklin Smith Elementary in San Jose , CA - School Ranking, Test Scores

or the west San Jose area:

Manuel De Vargas Elementary in San Jose , CA - School Ranking, Test Scores

California School Ratings - Santa Clara County

Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 AM

Capoeira Thanks a lot .... but if I leave in downtown can I send the kids to Evergreen or Cupertino? How is the low in California?
are you from Brazil Capoeira?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:28 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,443,587 times
Check out the map here:

California School Performance Maps

While not inclusive, it is a great starting point.

I am in the same boat and am looking in the Alamaden/Morgan Hill Area. Southwest San Jose is generally the nicer part for young families.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 AM

thanks! great map! I love downtown area but seems that schools are really bad

Old 03-21-2008, 09:45 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,443,587 times
With a few exceptions, that's pretty much always the case right ? That's why burbs exist. If you want a downtown urban feel and decent schools, try Willow Glen.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:05 AM

I love San Jose's downtown.... but I think Cupertino will be better for my kids

Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM

58 posts, read 192,651 times
Ur problem is the same as ours. Maybe u should read my thread with replies. What parents in downtown San Jose do? Maybe itll give u more info. I personally changed my mind and still go for SJ downtown! I love it.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 PM

264 posts, read 832,242 times
I used to work for SJUSD and Almaden schools were always the most sought after by parents. If you live in the more expensive areas of the south bay you shouldn't be far reach from really great schools.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:06 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,183,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingRoomOnly View Post
I used to work for SJUSD and Almaden schools were always the most sought after by parents. If you live in the more expensive areas of the south bay you shouldn't be far reach from really great schools.
Yes, for this reason real estate in 95120 is very expensive, but it's still somewhere within earth orbit, unlike Cupertino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose