Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,647 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I will be moving to a new job in Sunnyvale soon. I have two young kids (5 and 3) so I'm trying to figure out where to look to live. I am not looking to spend a fortune but want to make sure I find a nice place for the kids without too much commute to work. I am expecting to rent for at least the first couple years and am hoping to stay in the $3-$4K range (less is fine too of course). Where I should look? What should I expect? Anything I should stay away from? Anything else you think I should know? Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 03:16 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,202,536 times
Honestly, Sunnyvale itself may not be a bad choice. Others here can talk about schools - that piece I'm not sure about. But I know you can find a 3 bedroom apartment in your price range, and if you really look, *maybe* a townhome or something. And a short commute is a huge positive.

Mountain View is nice as well, but a bit more expensive - but still in your price range in some parts (assuming apartment).

Old 02-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Thanks!! I was hoping that was going to be the case, I'd like to avoid a long commute if possible. Any advise on how to find an apartment? Are Zillow, Trulia, and Craigslist the primary places to search? are there any local apartment finder sites that I wouldn't know about?

also, it seems like there are large apartment complexes that have pools, playgrounds, and other stuff like that. Thoughts on them?

Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,537,867 times
I just moved from Santa Clara. Lived there for 10 years. I really like Santa Clara. Very safe, all neighborhoods, really. Decent schools.

Sunnyvale has a lot more immigrant techies. If you're not comfortable with the Indian or Korean, etc., cultures, then Santa Clara might suit you better. There is a huge Indian community in Sunnyvale, and because of the demand for them to be near others of the same culture, the cost of rentals is higher in general than Santa Clara, too.

There is also a large Korean community in Sunnyvale. As soon as you drive into Sunnyvale from Santa Clara, down El Camino Real, you start to see a large number of signs in Korean, and Indian businesses.

That said, if your family is Indian or Korean, you will have a built-in community in Sunnyvale.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:31 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,779,773 times
My wife and I rented an apartment in Sunnyvale because of its proximity to my work. We enjoyed living in Sunnyvale and my commute to work was less than 10 minutes.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:36 PM

23,567 posts, read 24,089,586 times
Agreed that Sunnyvale is a great, safe choice. Lots of amenities in Sunnyvale and pleasant weather also (most of the year).

Old 02-02-2014, 03:50 PM

Thanks all for the advice! Any thoughts on the large apartment villages vs a smaller house/condo?

Old 02-02-2014, 06:25 PM

23,567 posts, read 24,089,586 times
A condo or house (if available) will be preferable (likely more stable and less transitory).

Old 02-02-2014, 11:26 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,370,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I just moved from Santa Clara. Lived there for 10 years. I really like Santa Clara. Very safe, all neighborhoods, really. Decent schools.

Sunnyvale has a lot more immigrant techies. If you're not comfortable with the Indian or Korean, etc., cultures, then Santa Clara might suit you better. There is a huge Indian community in Sunnyvale, and because of the demand for them to be near others of the same culture, the cost of rentals is higher in general than Santa Clara, too.

There is also a large Korean community in Sunnyvale. As soon as you drive into Sunnyvale from Santa Clara, down El Camino Real, you start to see a large number of signs in Korean, and Indian businesses.

That said, if your family is Indian or Korean, you will have a built-in community in Sunnyvale.
Uh, actually, there are plenty of Indians and Koreans in Santa Clara as well as Sunnyvale, and why not - they're bordering communities. I think most of the Korean businesses are on the Santa Clara side of El Camino Real, once you pass Lawrence Expressway. Probably more Indian businesses in Sunnyvale.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:19 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times
When it comes time for school for your kids, consider going private. Not surprisingly, the best public schools are in very expensive school districts & neighborhoods. You may well be better off living in a (relatively more affordable) Sunnyvale or Santa Clara & sending your kids to private school to get the education quality you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose