Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 941 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving to the Bay area (exact location TBD) in the Spring/Summer of 2013. We will be bringing our two year and a brand new baby with us. I'm nervous about leaving my support network of family and friends and wondering about the best ways to establish a new one in the Bay area.

I've heard of Las Madres but are there other ways that new moms connect and help each other out?

We are thinking of renting in a townhouse complex with a pool and play area in the hopes that we will find other young families there. Is this a good idea? Or are these rental places just too transient? Would we be better off renting/buying on a quiet street somewhere?

Many thanks for all your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 PM

765 posts, read 2,441,009 times
Quote:
We are thinking of renting in a townhouse complex with a pool and play area in the hopes that we will find other young families there
This is a great idea - when our kids were younger we moved into a townhome community when we lived on the East Coast - and it was an instant peer group for our kids - and me too!

Check out the bigger churches for MOPS groups.

MOPS International - Mothers of Preschoolers

Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
There are some great Mothers Clubs in the area. Palo Alto is the biggest, but most cities have one.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM

291 posts, read 958,129 times
The Berkeley parents network is a great resource. Here is their list on parent networks around the bay area:
Berkeley Parents Network: Parent Groups in the San Francisco Bay Area

I am sure there are other local parent networks not listed here but it is hard to help without knowing exactly the location.

Also, check with local parks department of your city. They often have a lot of family friendly activities. I recommend enrolling in a few classes like baby/mom yoga or toddler time with your children. Libraries also offer story telling for young kids and can be a good way to meet other parents in your neighborhood.

There are preschool programs for kids as young as 2 so make sure to check out what preschool programs are available in your area. Pick a program that allows for a lot of volunteering time such as coop. This way you will be more involved with the school and have the opportunity to meet other parents as well.
Berkeley Parents Network: Parent Co-operative and Parent Participation Preschools

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:07 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
You can network with colleagues from your office, neighborhood and church, if you attend. Career related social functions are also great places to network, socialize and develop a support network.

Good luck! With effort, the support network will develop over time.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:20 PM

24 posts, read 38,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcanadian View Post
We are going to be moving to the Bay area (exact location TBD) in the Spring/Summer of 2013. We will be bringing our two year and a brand new baby with us. I'm nervous about leaving my support network of family and friends and wondering about the best ways to establish a new one in the Bay area.

I've heard of Las Madres but are there other ways that new moms connect and help each other out?

We are thinking of renting in a townhouse complex with a pool and play area in the hopes that we will find other young families there. Is this a good idea? Or are these rental places just too transient? Would we be better off renting/buying on a quiet street somewhere?

Many thanks for all your advice!
I woud suggest living close to a good park. Many moms hang out there with the kids and it is easy way to make new friends for you and your children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose