Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 PM

140 posts, read 435,846 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am about to accept a job offer in the San Jose area. The company has offices in Santa Clara, Mountain View, and Milpitas. I'm not sure how these areas are different. Please help!

What's unique about each area? What are the demographics of residents?

Which area do you prefer?

I'll need to rent an apartment. Which area has the least expensive apartment rates?

I realize that I am asking several questions. I'll appreciate any feedback because I'm not from Northern Cali and I'm lost making the decision on my own.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Well, Mountain View is a bit more upscale than either Milpitas or Santa Clara and has a nice downtown, whereas the other cities don't. It is also significantly more expensive than the other two cities. I choose to live in Mtn View since I think it is a much nicer community. However, as only about 10 miles separates all 3 cities, you could work in any of the offices and commute.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:16 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Mountain View is typically considered to be the most desireable city of the cities mentioned. It's the only city out of the three with a downtown area (small, but nice). Mountain View is a nice community and tends to be more of an upscale area, but not really in a pretentious sort of way. It borders Palo Alto and Los Altos which are very expensive. Although not as expensive as Los altos or Palo Alto, MV is still somewhat pricey.

I'd say your best bet for finding an apartment is going to be in MV or Santa Clara. Milpitas is mostly single family homes and doesn't have a ton of apartments. Santa Clara and Milpitas apartments will be cheaper than MV apartments usually. Mountain View probably has the largest selection of apartment complexes to choose from though.

As far as demographics go, Mountain View is somewhat diverse but has a lot of white residents and also has a sizeable Latino population. Santa Clara is probably the most racially diverse of the three cities. Milpitas was very diverse when I grew up there, but is now predominantly Asian. Milpitas is one of two cities in Santa Clara county (the other is Cupertino) that have a minority-majority population.

All three of these cities would be good choices, and you'd probably need to explore them a little bit to see which would fit you better. They are all mostly safe and well-kept communities. It will probably come down to personal preference. Mountain View is probably overall the nicest city and has more of a small community feel to it. Santa Clara is nice as well and really just feels like an extension of San Jose. Milpitas (especially the eastern half of town) has some very nice parts, but as I mentioned previously, there aren't many apartment choices. Most of the apartment complexes in Milpitas are pretty dumpy.

Given the choices, you really can't go wrong. It will just come down to personal preference.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM

How does Sunnyvale compare to these three?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueslily View Post
How does Sunnyvale compare to these three?
Without discussing specific neighborhoods, I'd say that the following applies in terms of desireability:

Mountain View > Sunnyvale > Santa Clara > Milpitas (the last two are open for debate and can be flip flopped)

Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Mtn View, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara are neighbors, there's only four or five miles from one to the other. Santa Clara is nice and it's a little cheaper. All three are pretty similar, except Mountain View and Sunnyvale seem to have more trees.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
SC actually does have a down town. But it's not in an central node orientation, it's more in the old Spanish style (it developed around a large square). It's certainly a sleepy CBD compared with wild Mt. View. Try finding parking anywhere near Castro on a Fri or Sat night!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 AM

Can anyone recommend a safe and clean apartment complex in the Sunnyvale or Santa Clara for $1,100 or less per month for a studio? $1,100 is my max. I've read on here that rent is expensive, but I'm hoping to at least find a studio for that price.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:59 AM

677 posts, read 835,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueslily View Post
Can anyone recommend a safe and clean apartment complex in the Sunnyvale or Santa Clara for $1,100 or less per month for a studio? $1,100 is my max. I've read on here that rent is expensive, but I'm hoping to at least find a studio for that price.
You can probably find a studio in those cities for that price but it probably won't be a nice one nor in a great neighborhood. Rents have always been expensive in Silicon Valley but they have really gone ballistic over the past two years.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:10 PM

12 posts, read 22,947 times
Santa Clara is the most convenient because it's in the middle of the 3 geographically. Milpitas is better if you're outdoorsy because it's right by the foothills; you can go hiking or hang-gliding in Ed Levin park or drive 10 minutes to Mission Peak in Fremont. Or take a drive up the hills on Calaveras Blvd (it's a beautiful drive in spring!)

Mt View is more expensive but it's not safer than the others; I think its price reflects its proximity to Palo Alto and Los Altos. If it were me I'd pick SC or Milpitas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose