Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 PM

9 posts, read 70,920 times

Advertisements

I live in Sunnyvale and work in Milpitas and was wondering how T-mobile cellular coverage in these area. I have terrible to zero AT&T reception at work and need to switch networks.

T-Mobile has some decent and cheap plans and I have an unlocked GSM smartphone which I want to use. Can any one please shed light on their experiences with T-mobile in and around Milpitas(near 880 & McCarthy Blvd), Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and San Jose?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
I had no problem using my old T-Mobile phone at Main & Weller in Milpitas, and there was a lot less call dropping than my new AT&T iPhone everywhere I went.. hate it!!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 AM

255 posts, read 514,143 times
I have T-mobile prepaid in north San Jose and no problem with reception.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 AM

6 posts, read 27,332 times
In Santa Clara my experience with T-Mobile was good. In Mountain View not so much - I had to switch companies.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 70,920 times
Hmm... Also, I heard that T-Mobile prepaid works only on T-mobile towers (In the normal postpaid plan, they automatically switch you to other available networks and you get coverage). This may turn out to be the deciding issue.

Anyway, I think I will try it for a month and see if I intend to keep it. Thanks for chipping in folks.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 14,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pps1981 View Post
I live in Sunnyvale and work in Milpitas and was wondering how T-mobile cellular coverage in these area. I have terrible to zero AT&T reception at work and need to switch networks.

T-Mobile has some decent and cheap plans and I have an unlocked GSM smartphone which I want to use. Can any one please shed light on their experiences with T-mobile in and around Milpitas(near 880 & McCarthy Blvd), Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and San Jose?

Thanks

My experience in Cupertini area is really bad. I purchased iPhone 4S from the apple store got Plan from T Mobile and the reception bar is almost dead in the house. It gets better when i am one the road But have great problem in the house.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,104 times
Since you are responding to a question asked over 8 months ago, I doubt that the OP (Original Poster) is going to use this additional information to decide whether or not to switch to T-mobile. But just in case somebody else might be thinking about the same issue (switching to T-mobile) ...

One can go here :
Unsupported Browser

and type in a zip code or city or even address to check what T-mobile thinks its coverage is.

My experience over the past several years has been that if you are close to a freeway in the Bay Area, T-mobile coverage is not a problem at all. (Their coverage map shows "Excellent" coverage between 880 and 680 in Milpitas, for example.) When you are further than a mile or so away from an interstate, it all depends if you are in a "pocket" of poor coverage or not. There aren't a LOT, but they do exist. Most of Sunnyvale shows "Very Strong" to "Excellent" coverage, but there are a few pockets of "good". "Good" coverage is just fine for me (no problems with phone reception, dropped calls, or voice fade-outs), but then my phone is >5 years old, and is neither 3G nor 4G, and isn't even a smartphone. I don't know how to check for "just" 4G coverage or WAN throughput.

I've never had a single problem using my phone in Cupertino, but there are some spots in southern Cupertino and north-west Saratoga with very, VERY poor reception.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Office is in Santa Clara/N San Jose and it's excellent. I also work "in the field" and travel all over the Bay Area and it's pretty good. No issues with dropped calls, but some intermittent issues with "fuzzy" calls (probably multipath interference or signal refraction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose