Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 AM

122 posts, read 507,386 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the San Jose region but are concerned about air quality since my wife is sensitive to air pollution. From the research we have done, it appears San Jose and the surrounding towns vary widely in their air quality. Sometimes San Jose scores the best in CA, sometimes San Jose or regions within commuting distance score not so good.

My questions are:

Which parts of San Jose and within commuting distance have good air quality?

What areas in San Jose area should we avoid if sensitive to air pollution?

How does San Jose air pollution compare to San Diego or Colorado Springs if you are also familiar with those locales.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
The air often looks worse than it is. This is often a mix of smog and fog. The mountains across the valley will not be clear, but the haze will not be brown like you see in pictures on L.A. That tells you much of it is the marine layer which has seeped in over the hills and down the bay.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:02 PM

76 posts, read 419,894 times
I wouldn't worry about air quality in SJ. I lived here all my life and its not a problem. If you are concerned about air quality, I'd say move to one of these locations:

Morgan Hill
Almaden Valley SJ

Old 09-26-2007, 10:06 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
My questions are:

<<Which parts of San Jose and within commuting distance have good air quality?>>

Actually, I don't think there is a whole lot of variation in air quality around the valley.

But in general, the best air is located closest to San Francisco Bay. Problem is, most of the area immediately around the Bay is either industrial or non-residential. I know another poster recommended the Almaden Valley neighborhood (an upcale area in south San Jose) or Morgan Hill (a suburb further south). But I would think the geography of these areas (inland areas far away enough from the bay for air to stagnate) would make the pollution a little worse than average, not better.

Overall, the air quality in San Jose is pretty good. San Jose had 5 days of air pollution violations in 2006 for ozone (our most common pollutant). San Martin, (which is near the city of Morgan Hill) had 7...which confirms my idea that areas away from the Bay have worse air quality.

We've had 0 air quality violations for this year (a much cooler summer than last year, which usually means ozone pollution is low).

Here's the link to more detailed data below.

BAAQMD : Air Quality

<<How does San Jose air pollution compare to San Diego or Colorado Springs if you are also familiar with those locales.>>

I'm not sure, but I think San Jose probably has better air quality than either San Diego or Colorado Springs.

Here's the link to The South Coast Air Quality Management District data tables...which cover San Diego

Historical Data

In general, the air pollution trend in California is DOWN . But I think that's also true for the US as a whole.

Thanks!![/quote]

Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 9,494 times
Default San Jose Air Quality

I think the air quality in San Jose has declined recently. I have seen unhealthy for sensative people atleast twice this month and its December. Also, we have almost constantly been in the high moderate range. When you can't see the mountains that are only five miles from you,then your common since tells you it is not good. I even see a blur when looking at the mountains that are only two miles from me. I live in Los Gatos which borders San Jose. This last summer we had numerious forest fires and the air quality was deadly for people with lung or sinus problems. Personally, I want to live in a place with blue sky, mountains that can be seen and lots of stars. This is not the place for those things. Just trying to be honest here.

Last edited by soulmaker1; 12-05-2008 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Part of San Jose stinks because of the Alviso slough and the dump at Hwy 237/Zanker, but that's mostly a Milpitas problem. Only a few blocks of San Jose close to the Great Mall would be badly affected by that because the winds blow east. The air quality is mostly good, and we have an alerting system set up for days when the air quality will be substandard.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:10 PM

132 posts, read 627,888 times
I go to SCU and grew up in N. County San Diego. I'm SHOCKED at the smog/haze/whatever in San Jose! You can't even see the Santa Cruz mountains some days...and there only a couple of miles away!

I would move to the Santa Cruz Mountains/Los Gatos/anywhere up in the hills. It's beautiful up there, the air is CLEAN and it's quiet!

Old 12-07-2008, 03:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
The air is the same as in most of the region. On bad days, I've driven (not helping the problem) up to Oakland and could barely see Mt Tam across the bay. It just comes with living in a place with many people.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTeen View Post
I go to SCU and grew up in N. County San Diego. I'm SHOCKED at the smog/haze/whatever in San Jose! You can't even see the Santa Cruz mountains some days...and there only a couple of miles away!

I would move to the Santa Cruz Mountains/Los Gatos/anywhere up in the hills. It's beautiful up there, the air is CLEAN and it's quiet!
When did you start school? Are you referring to the summertime in particular? Remember the past summer we had those crazy wild fires which ruined the air quality. San Jose's air is relatively clean most of the time. Although I have to admit, it probably is the worst in the Bay Area since it is a valley and the winds from the ocean sweep southeasternly. But hey, it definitely isn't the Central Valley or Los Angeles.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:16 AM

9 posts, read 64,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Part of San Jose stinks because of the Alviso slough and the dump at Hwy 237/Zanker, but that's mostly a Milpitas problem. Only a few blocks of San Jose close to the Great Mall would be badly affected by that because the winds blow east. The air quality is mostly good, and we have an alerting system set up for days when the air quality will be substandard.
this is absolutely correct. i hate going to milpitas it smells so bad.
i used to work at the century 20 theatres at the great mall. at night when i got off work it would smell bad.

but yeah, san jose generally has good air quality. ive lived here all my life and i dont recall that much air pollution. i think it was one or 2 summers where there was a day that the air smelled a bit polluted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose