Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 4,464 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone... I originally posted this in the San Francisco forum, but received a message that posting here might land me some good results as well. I'm considering taking a job in Palo Alto, relocating from Philadelphia. Where should I be looking for a somewhat affordable apartment, that doesn't include a terrible commute? Could you provide some ball-park numbers for what a large studio and/or one bedroom apartment would cost in any of your suggested areas? Appreciate any advice in this matter you could provide. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Try craigslist and apartmentratings.com for Palo Alto and surrounding area. Skip East Palo Alto if you have a safety fetish.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,793 times
As a former Philly resident, let me warn you that there's no way you can possibly be prepared for the cost of renting here. Imagine a stupid number, and rent here is probably higher than that. Renting in Silicon Valley/SF is on the level of renting in Manhattan.

On the other hand, quality of life is so much better that most of us gladly pay the extra money for the privilege of living here! Even the 'ghetto areas' people tell you to stay away from pale next to, say, K+A or Diamond and 16th.

The real questions you need to ask are : where exactly will I be working, how much commute do I want, will I own a car, will work provide shuttles from either SF or the nearest commuter rail station (many tech companies do), and do you need to live in an urban area or are you OK with the burbs?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 4,464 times
Thanks for the responses!

@ gone down south - I'd actually be working for Stanford Hospital. And while I would prefer an urban area, (or something along the lines of Northeast Philly), I wouldn't mind something suburban, as long as there was easy access to the city. I would prefer my commute be 45 minutes or less... and I do have a car, and would most likely be bringing it with me.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,726,986 times
If you don't mind something suburban, check out Mountain View or Redwood City. You would be within 20 minutes of Stanford Hospital. Palo Alto itself is expensive. Rents run about $800-$1000 for a studio and about $1200-$1500 for a one bedroom.

San Francisco would be about a 50 minute drive with no traffic. Caltrain runs a commuter train between all these towns and San Francisco. caltrain.com Maybe an apartment near any of the train stations on the peninsula would work for you.

There is also a free shuttle bus service from the Palo Alto Caltrain station that goes all over the Stanford campus and to the hospital.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 AM

If you want to stick close, you'd be happy in Palo Alto/ Mountain View/Menlo/Redwood City area. Those towns are Mainline-ish, in the sense of small towns with vibrant walkable downtown/main street areas.
Prices are still going to be an issue though, you're looking at $1600 as a minimum for a 1-BR apartment in most of those places.

SF and San Jose both have good Caltrain / shuttle connections to Stanford Hospital if you really need to live in a city. San Jose is smaller, but more affordable overall.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,041,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
If you want to stick close, you'd be happy in Palo Alto/ Mountain View/Menlo/Redwood City area. Those towns are Mainline-ish, in the sense of small towns with vibrant walkable downtown/main street areas.
Prices are still going to be an issue though, you're looking at $1600 as a minimum for a 1-BR apartment in most of those places.

SF and San Jose both have good Caltrain / shuttle connections to Stanford Hospital if you really need to live in a city. San Jose is smaller, but more affordable overall.
San Jose is actually bigger...much bigger than SF. It's just more suburban and spread out. SF is actually somewhat small.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
San Jose is actually bigger...much bigger than SF.
San Francisco is taller, but not bigger.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
San Jose is actually bigger...much bigger than SF. It's just more suburban and spread out. SF is actually somewhat small.
OK Nerdheimer How about we say that the 'downtown core' of San Jose, which is what the OP was asking about, is much smaller than SF's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose