Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 16,754 times

Advertisements

I think it's best that the OP trusted her instincts. If you feel some place is unsafe, always trust your gut (i.e., survival instinct) and not what you're "supposed" to feel about a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,292,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAborn&bred View Post
I think it's best that the OP trusted her instincts. If you feel some place is unsafe, always trust your gut (i.e., survival instinct) and not what you're "supposed" to feel about a place.
Well... yeah. To a certain extent.

But if someone is afraid of their own shadow, then no matter what, their fight/flight response is going to send adrenilin coursing through their veins, and make them freak out.

At that point, they need to see a shrink.

But if one person says something that no one else agrees with... there's also a good chance they are wrong.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,074 times
**** all of you monument bully bangaz c-town nikka c shyit or die biatch the hood the block south concord.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,986 times
Lightbulb ghettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Are you trying to imply that Nor Cali doesn't have any "real ghettos,"
No. I don't know where you read that?

lol...Cities in the Bay Area are overall more dangerous than anything in the LA area.

how do you know this?
have you lived in LA Area?

SF has a higher crime rate than LA and Oakland and Richmond are the two most danerous places in CA and both top 10 in the country.

Where do you get this information?

Although, Concord is far from ghetto.

Yes, and this was my point. Concord does not seem ghetto IMHO, compared to some other places in California.

And what the hell is 10/8 years loll??

How about you review the context of the text in question?
If you have any intelligence you will note that
(a) known/(b)lived preceeds the (c)10 years/(d)8 years...hence...a pattern...and a relationship. a/b and c/d therefore ac and bd or
a+c
_____
b+d

it is simply abbreviated like your "lol".

...Also I have no idea why you are bringing up Socal as the poster was asking about a Northern California city.
I was simply presenting an example of ghetto...Socal is a known example of ghetto in my experience.

The point of my post was to suggest IMHO that there are far scarier places than Concord.

It is unfortunate that you weren't able to comprehend my simple post. I hope medicine or self directed educational efforts on your part may soon free you from the fog of your dullness ..so you may enjoy fruitful conversations rather than the combative ones you now inspire in others.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:49 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,172,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganphinney View Post
**** all of you monument bully bangaz c-town nikka c shyit or die biatch the hood the block south concord.
this.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 PM

986 posts, read 2,511,560 times
Exclamation Concord is a lot more third-world than it used to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
So we decided to get some Christmas shopping done last weekend, and since it was raining, we opted for Concord due to having an indoor shopping center. I have never been there before, and heard mixed things about the area, but figured it just had a few rough spots, probably not near the shopping area.

When we exited the freeway, there were 4 women soliciting themselves at the off ramp! Then as we were driving toward the mall, we passed several able bodied looking young guys begging for change at every intersection.

When we got inside the mall, I would say 1/2 of the people there looked like gang bangers or punks. I actually felt scared since we had our little one with us, and decided to leave due to seeing very little security on the premises.

Is this an area just best avoided?
As someone who grew up in this town, I can tell you that it's gotten decidedly more "non-English speaking" since the 1980s when I last recall it being a mostly white suburb town. Various areas seem to have been taken over by our friends sotadaboda, e.g. the Willow Pass shopping center, the downtown area and Monument Blvd.

Whether or not this "browning" qualifies it as "ghetto" is hard to say, but you definitely feel like a minority being white in many parts of Concord. The old neighborhood I lived in has gone downhill with some rental units and scummy elements (boom cars, etc.), though the scummy element seems racially mixed.

I think you have to judge Concord on a neighborhood by neighborhood basis, but when you're out in public the thugs do seem to outnumber the decent folks. I don't recall ever seeing hookers in this town, so that's a new one. Are you sure that's what they were, not just the usual teenage girls dressed like tramps?

Last edited by ca_north; 04-13-2010 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 AM

286 posts, read 678,797 times
You people throw the GHETTO word around rather loosely,do you not? I grew up in the worst possible environment in the 1950's,a GHETTO without drugs and few guns,but the weapons of choice were knives,zip-guns,brass knuckles and the like......but there was constant crime.
I do not understand this "fear"of bad neighborhoods or what some of you term,dangerous.Perhaps if you got to know some of the people face to face..you would be pleasantly surprised.
The people who drop drugs and sell drugs into these areas are the culprits....they
are wealthy and do not live in the GHETTO.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,257,419 times
Concord has always been a bit rough around the edges, but it's not exactly Oakland.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM

5 posts, read 12,796 times
No, not in a dangerous sense. I was born and raised in Concord and it has its shabby areas and yes there are a few guys that look as if they belong in a gang, but they're mostly just posers. They just dress that way. There are ghetto-looking, somewhat urban areas in Concord, and their are suburban areas. But no particularly dangerous areas.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:28 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,391,649 times
If Concord is ghetto, then I grew up in Compton...well, maybe not the best thing to say, since North Hollywood during the late 90s-early 2000s wasn't exactly the shining star in the LA orbit, either.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf

219. Concord

Bay Area cities MORE DANGEROUS than Concord:

3. Oakland, CA
14. Richmond, CA
43. Vallejo, CA
93. San Francisco, CA
100. Berkeley, CA
110. Antioch, CA
113. San Leandro, CA
126. Hayward, CA

Really, get out of your shell people. Why does everyone say Concord is ghetto? Bashing Oakland and Richmond isn't satisfying enough anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland