Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 AM

334 posts, read 1,066,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post

batransplant, I understand what you're saying. I'd say that in both LA and in SF it's been, generally speaking, people from other countries, who seem to be both the most tolerant of kids and who seem to not find it odd to have children in the city.

Thanks for getting what I mean. You explained it well.

Maybe that's partly why I really enjoyed the Richmond. It's a non-trendy neighborhood with a diverse population, lots of immigrants, lots of kids. I think it had that right balance of people (with and without kids) who acknowledged kids were part of the overall community, and parents who in turn raised their children to be responsible and polite members of the community.
This is where LA is different. You see tons of families IN the trendy neighborhoods like West Hollywoods grove/farmers market, Santa Monicas 3rd St. Promenade etc. mixing in right along the yuppie dinks, hipsters etc. You just don't see this in places like the trendy shopping/dining districts of the Mission, Union St., Hayes Valley, or Fillmore/Pac Heights areas, with the exception of the random dink couple who decided to tough it out with their first kid before getting squeezed out of the city after 2-3 years of living in condemnation from their so called community.

I actually had a random woman on Fillmore st. tell me to take my child to eat lunch at Elite Cafe, and definitely not to take her to Harrys grill across the street because they didn't want children there..even though the food would be more to the liking of a child, along with the outdoor seating.

Maybe Union Square to a degree, but it is telling there is no toy store, children clothing store, or child oriented store in Union Square anywhere! Even the Disney store closed! There are probably more homeless and drug addicts walking around Union Sq. than children, and people in SF are probably more tolerant of a druggie shooting up or taking a dump on the sidewalk than a child who is being pushed in a stroller on the same sidewalk.

Oh...this is my recent favorite example: they build a Disney family museum that doesn't allow strollers inside. They also emphasize that there is really nothing of interest for children at the museum on their website. LOL Ok. I see why they built the museum in childless SF vs. anyplace else in the country. The funny thing is...I think they didn't get the attendance they expected due to the anti family rules they had pre-opening, so now I noticed they started offering childrens workshops on the weekends. It doesn't surprise me that SF would get the only anti-kid Disney attraction in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
There are probably more homeless and drug addicts walking around Union Sq. than children, and people in SF are probably more tolerant of a druggie shooting up or taking a dump on the sidewalk than a child who is being pushed in a stroller on the same sidewalk.

As an SF native who has also worked in Union Square, i will tell you that you are wrong. Once again.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:37 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,395 times
relevant piece on the sf gate:

Michael Bauer: Between Meals : How children affect a restaurant's bottom line (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/mbauer/detail?entry_id=58056 - broken link)

Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
relevant piece on the sf gate:

Michael Bauer: Between Meals : How children affect a restaurant's bottom line (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/mbauer/detail?entry_id=58056 - broken link)
No, what's really eye opening are the comments under the article. Very telling of their hatred of children in general.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No, what's really eye opening are the comments under the article. Very telling of their hatred of children in general.
Comments on a newspaper site don't necessarily reflect general attitudes, though. I would agree that the open dislike of kids and the willingness to throw around terms like "breeders" is greater in SF than in many places, but wouldn't think for a moment that the people who comment in the paper can be used as any really useful barometer of the city as a whole's attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland