Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 PM

484 posts, read 822,013 times

Advertisements

As a necessary counterbalance, I have decided to start a thread about what you hate about SF.

The thing I hate most about SF is the vast self-regard that San Franciscans have for themselves and their city. A few moments ago I looked at the first pages of the forums for New York City, Washington DC, Miami, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Not one had any sort of "aren't we just the greatest" type of thread.

Here in SF, however, we can't seem to get enough of telling each other how very fabulous this place (and, by extension, we) are. Do we have the best weather? Just what makes us so great? How can we possibly tolerate the fact that we have to share the continent with the great unwashed masses?

Anyone remember that South Park episode where the Broflovski family moves to SF? Boy was that accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:57 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,803 times
I only have about three or four gripes -

1. MUNI. We should do better with public transportation. Dirty, smelly buses filled with fare jumpers and freaks and late, slow, overcrowded trains.

2. The city is a homeless magnet and the vast majority come from some other part of the country. The filth in the streets and general unease they create isn't much fun. To the rest of the US - please keep your vagrants at home.

3. The Board of Supervisors. Self-serving bureaucratic loons constantly chasing after lost causes instead of concentrating on real city business - such as police, fire, schools and sanitation (I'm talking to you David "Sanctuary City" Campos).

4. Obnoxious dog owners. They've turned the parks and many sidewalks into canine toilets. Not everyone loves Fido they way you do.

That's pretty much it. When you cram 815,000 people in 45 hilly square miles surrounded on three sides by water there's bound to be things that grate on you. Still, I enjoy living here very much and its my hometown. I do get kind of tired of those who don't live here with an axe to grind constant picking at it.

Last edited by jeffredo; 06-21-2011 at 07:16 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM

175 posts, read 482,876 times
As an outsider the one thing that really sticks out is the amount of homelessness. I think the problem are the social programs in place there that don't really seem to work. I think if some adjustments were made it might help. But even with that said, I think in general a lot of homeless people have always been drawn to California because of the climate. So I really cannot say that is entirely the fault of San Francisco.
I cannot say I really hate something but I am more disappointed. Other than that I think San Francisco has a lot to offer. Besides I love visiting when it is 100 degrees here in Dallas Again I don't live there so I don't have the entire picture of day to day living etc...

Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
I'd say that the absolute very worst thing about the city is, I'm not there to enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
As far as cities go it sure seems like a pretty great place to me.

My neice lives there and she has some big high powered job somewhere in the city. She makes a fortune and recently the company said, "WE are giving you a promotion. You HAVE to go to Dallas.
She looked at them and said, "I quit, I'm not going anywhere, I just love this city tooo much".

Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,916 times
Commie ethos of the sleepy suburb/tourist-gvt town which can irritate the few taxpayers who choose to reside in SF (prob for better restaurants than PaloAlto and proximity to other yuppies)

Need better CHP enfcmt on 280 to get slugs out of left lane btwn Cupertino/Menlo and SF; perhaps 280 should be a high-toll, derestricted fwy (like OC's 73 or a German autobahn) to clear out inept drivers/poors who clog an otherwise scenic, fast, safe, efficient corridor btwn yuppie suburb of SF and offices in capitalist, industrial SV

Need smoothly paved roads in FinDt and up into PacHts: the rds used by SF's major taxpayers

Need more valet pkg spots in front of restaurants...even commie parts of LA like SM/Venice have more valet pkg in front of interesting restaurants which attract regulars from BH/Brent/Pali

On balance, QOL in SF's FinDt and PacHts for most taxpayers exceeds that of any other economically relevant place on planet, as SF Peninsula is fairly car-centric and civilized...closest rival is LA's Westside: more car-centric but less intellectually/economically interesting as lacks smart engineers and entrepreneurs of PaloAlto area (some of whom use SF as a bedroom suburb)

Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
1. homeless people everywhere
2. dirty, smelly streets
3. neighborhoods that don't accurately reflect the diversity of the area
4. summer weather (ahem the non-summer weather) where it is foggy, drizzling, windy and freezing

Old 06-21-2011, 11:51 PM

457 posts, read 756,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Commie ethos of the sleepy suburb/tourist-gvt town which can irritate the few taxpayers who choose to reside in SF (prob for better restaurants than PaloAlto and proximity to other yuppies)

Need better CHP enfcmt on 280 to get slugs out of left lane btwn Cupertino/Menlo and SF; perhaps 280 should be a high-toll, derestricted fwy (like OC's 73 or a German autobahn) to clear out inept drivers/poors who clog an otherwise scenic, fast, safe, efficient corridor btwn yuppie suburb of SF and offices in capitalist, industrial SV

Need smoothly paved roads in FinDt and up into PacHts: the rds used by SF's major taxpayers

Need more valet pkg spots in front of restaurants...even commie parts of LA like SM/Venice have more valet pkg in front of interesting restaurants which attract regulars from BH/Brent/Pali

On balance, QOL in SF's FinDt and PacHts for most taxpayers exceeds that of any other economically relevant place on planet, as SF Peninsula is fairly car-centric and civilized...closest rival is LA's Westside: more car-centric but less intellectually/economically interesting as lacks smart engineers and entrepreneurs of PaloAlto area (some of whom use SF as a bedroom suburb)
LOL you are amazing..I love reading your nonsensical posts and getting a good laugh...Do you get up in the morning, scan this board for opportunities to post the following words in some combination "commie, SF, Palo Alto, LA, NYC, engineers, capitalist" ? Makes no sense..

Old 06-21-2011, 11:52 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,087 times
fog

Old 06-21-2011, 11:55 PM

457 posts, read 756,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
As a necessary counterbalance, I have decided to start a thread about what you hate about SF.

The thing I hate most about SF is the vast self-regard that San Franciscans have for themselves and their city. A few moments ago I looked at the first pages of the forums for New York City, Washington DC, Miami, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Not one had any sort of "aren't we just the greatest" type of thread.

Here in SF, however, we can't seem to get enough of telling each other how very fabulous this place (and, by extension, we) are. Do we have the best weather? Just what makes us so great? How can we possibly tolerate the fact that we have to share the continent with the great unwashed masses?

Anyone remember that South Park episode where the Broflovski family moves to SF? Boy was that accurate.
I don't know where you are getting the impression that this board is full of SF worshipers. In fact, it is exactly the opposite - its a hate fest with trashing from one and all - Oakland lovers, suburban lovers, families, right wingers, anti-gay people, miserable losers etc. etc.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:19 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Crackheads doing smash-and-grab jobs on my cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland