Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 12:46 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I really don't understand the logic of trying to recommend that people new to the region move farther away from their job than necessary when traffic is absolutely terrible in the Bay Area- as if having A/C during the "summer" months is a worthy trade off? I just don't get it. I don't see where the OP said they'd be working fully remote and they seemed fine with being able to afford Alameda, so why recommend places that makes dealing with traffic a guaranteed nuisance?

Many people living in the Bay Area have no choice but to endure soul crushing traffic/BART because where we like living happens to be far from where we work, but telling people to move to Walnut Creek, and especially Fremont when they could live in Alameda sounds like such poor advice imo. Honestly I really think some people are just trying to rep their own city and not even bothering to read the OP.
Damn bro you are on a tear right now! This post is spot on. WINNING
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 09:44 PM

130 posts, read 159,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueengineer View Post
Hi everyone! I’m currently contemplating an offer for a job out by Oakland international Airport. I am looking at apartments and it’s kind of overwhelming. Currently my budget is between 3000- 4000 for rent. Where are some good places( safe, able to go on walks, etc) to live? I don’t necessarily don’t want a long commute but the job is a hybrid model so I could tolerate the drive if I like it. Thanks.
A few ideas to save on rent and live like a king.

Roomates and use a bike along with public transport to get to work and not have to find parking in your residence.

Or

Vanlife or Truck+Camper life haha

I wish you the best of success and welcome to California!

*Note if you live in the eastbay you wont have to pay or cross the bridge. Try to avoid SF, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties as they will require crossing the bridge.

Check out solvang, black sand beach with black sand haha, sales force sky park, etc

I wish you the best of success and welcome to California blueengineer!

Old 06-06-2021, 12:10 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,924,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Walnut Creek if you're willing to commute a little. Better weather, very safe, and plenty of apartments.
Walnut Creek is too hot!

Old 06-06-2021, 12:38 PM

124 posts, read 110,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I actually would second the vote for Walnut Creek over Alameda. I think Alameda is overrated, IMO. There are some areas there that seem a little bit rough to me (albeit not as bad as neighboring parts of Oakland). Yes, it's close to SF and Oakland (probably the best thing it has going for it), but it's often a little too chilly for my tastes. In my view, if you're not living IN SF to take advantage of everything going for it, there's a big drop off in general. I think Walnut Creek has the perfect mix if you're not living in SF. It has a great downtown with lots of restaurants/bars/stores, BART access, warm weather and most importantly, is safe.

This. I also feel that Alameda is overrated and never understood what was so great about it.

I like Walnut Creek a lot more than Alameda, the vibe of the city is so much better. I would prefer Walnut Creek, even if I worked in Oakland.

But then again, it's all personal preference. OP you can always drive through both cities and see what vibes with you the best.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:38 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
All I can figure by these comments is people like Walnut Creek because it is hot and very suburban. Reminds them of the rest of the U.S., perhaps? About the only thing you can get in WC that you can't get in Alameda is a Neiman Marcus. *shrug* In all seriousness, both are nice towns. But Bay Area traffic cannot be understated. No reason to select WC over Alameda unless budget or lifestyle really interferes, which in this case they don't. Save yourself the hour plus of extra commute time each day!

Old 06-11-2021, 12:42 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,924,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
All I can figure by these comments is people like Walnut Creek because it is hot and very suburban. Reminds them of the rest of the U.S., perhaps? About the only thing you can get in WC that you can't get in Alameda is a Neiman Marcus. *shrug* In all seriousness, both are nice towns. But Bay Area traffic cannot be understated. No reason to select WC over Alameda unless budget or lifestyle really interferes, which in this case they don't. Save yourself the hour plus of extra commute time each day!
i'm a native peninsula dweller and i've maybe been to alameda twice! rarely go to the east bay. and it probably has changed, but decades ago it seemed alameda/oakland used to be overcast until afternoon. then i didn't like it but now i sure would. i think those days are gone now anyway.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:31 PM

113 posts, read 54,112 times
I live in Park Regency apt, 4 min walk to pleasant hill bart. Never had any issues and safe here. Don't get fooled by the google review. I got 1bd apt for $1950 after discount when I signed the lease 1 yr back with updated kitchen and patio with washer/ dryer.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:58 PM

136 posts, read 105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp86 View Post
I live in Park Regency apt, 4 min walk to pleasant hill bart. Never had any issues and safe here. Don't get fooled by the google review. I got 1bd apt for $1950 after discount when I signed the lease 1 yr back with updated kitchen and patio with washer/ dryer.
I can get you a one bedroom in Fremont by bart for a similar price

Old 06-19-2021, 11:47 PM

113 posts, read 54,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHoover View Post
I can get you a one bedroom in Fremont by bart for a similar price
WC is much closer to SF than Fremont and also have to change 2 trains. WC has a nice little downtown and Fremont doesn't.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:10 AM

136 posts, read 105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp86 View Post
WC is much closer to SF than Fremont and also have to change 2 trains. WC has a nice little downtown and Fremont doesn't.
Fremont doesn’t hit 100 all summer long either and it’s about the same barting distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland