Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 09:24 AM

12 posts, read 10,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem316 View Post
Original post was from 4 days ago
No, I haven’t. Lol

Last edited by blueengineer; 06-01-2021 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Additional words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 09:31 AM

102,453 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaResiding View Post
At this point it doesn't really matter. The whole Bay Area is really really hot during the summer. I mean the past 5-6 summers have been around 90-100 degrees in most of the Bay Area.

At least Walnut Creek , most apartments and homes would have air conditioning.

Can't say the say the same for Fremont, San Jose, Oakland or Palo Alto. Welcome to the most expensive region in the country, where your 1.5 million dollar home won't even come with air conditioning.
You're pretty new here, aren't you? By which I mean, not only to C-D, but to the Bay Area as well. You can't just make things up and expect people to go along with it. Remember, daily weather in any city is a matter of public record. Anyone can look it up and prove you wrong. You mentioned Fremont in a post, so I chose that city for your reality check:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fr...2130?year=2020

But also, heat waves are becoming more frequent, due to that thing you've undoubtedly heard about, called "global climate change". Guess what? Most inner Bay Area homes, and quite a few on the other side of the hills in the East Bay, were built when your dad and grandad were in knee pants. A/C wasn't needed back then. Times are changing.

If you give yourself a chance to get to know the Bay Area and its history a bit deeper, you might actually come to like it...

Old 06-01-2021, 10:16 AM

4,374 posts, read 6,349,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're pretty new here, aren't you? By which I mean, not only to C-D, but to the Bay Area as well. You can't just make things up and expect people to go along with it. Remember, daily weather in any city is a matter of public record. Anyone can look it up and prove you wrong. You mentioned Fremont in a post, so I chose that city for your reality check:

But also, heat waves are becoming more frequent, due to that thing you've undoubtedly heard about, called "global climate change". Guess what? Most inner Bay Area homes, and quite a few on the other side of the hills in the East Bay, were built when your dad and grandad were in knee pants. A/C wasn't needed back then. Times are changing.

If you give yourself a chance to get to know the Bay Area and its history a bit deeper, you might actually come to like it...
Well, while I agree its inaccurate that all parts of the Bay Area get as hot as Walnut Creek, he does have some valid points:

-Almost everything in WC and other inland communities has A/C. Lots of part of the central and south bay do not.
-With heat waves becoming more frequent and extreme, this is making the comfort factor a bigger issue and its more of a problem for those who do not have A/C.
-Some people like the heat. I'm one of them. If its under 100, its actually quite pleasant/enjoyable to me, given that there's no humidity here. I can do most things outdoors quite comfortably and have the A/C to allow me to sleep at night.
-The number of days it gets extreme here (e.g., 105+) are only a handful per year. During those days, I could stay indoors during the heat of the day, hang out by a pool or take a day trip to Stinson Beach or SF to cool off. On those dates, it still cools off quickly to be very pleasant after sunset (not the case in most of the rest of the country).
-I've lived in different parts of the Bay Area, including SF. I loved most things about SF but hated the weather (and I lived in SOMA, which has the nicest weather in SF). I felt like only about 5 days per year would get warm enough and I longed for having nicer summers where I could wear shorts. Even during days that got warm, it got frigid by evening with temps and wind.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:54 AM

124 posts, read 113,440 times
Quote:

I am not new to the Bay Area at all. I am not making things up either. If you look at that Fremont chart you pasted, there was about a whole week in August where it was about 85 F to 98 F and that is just one instance. Of course the south bay and east bay are not as hot as Walnut Creek on average. I am assuming as we move forward, these heat waves will only become more frequent.

Let's not forget, every summer , there are new fires ,smoke and toxic air that we have to deal with. So on top of the 90 F day, we can't open our windows because of the toxic smoke coming in from the fires, out in the mountains somewhere.

I am just saying that if for example, you live in San Jose, dealing with the heat would be a lot more annoying than someone living in Walnut Creek, that has easy access to live in a home or apartment with air condition. People bring up window AC but not everyone can get window AC; due to different circumstances or a specific apartment building they live in.

I know that 40-50 years ago it probably never got hotter than 80 F in most parts of the Bay Area and most people didn't need air conditioning. You assume I don't like the Bay Area, which is false. I was making a sarcastic joke about housing prices in the Bay Area and the amenities you get when you purchase a home in the Bay Area; especially for people from other states.

Last edited by BayAreaResiding; 06-01-2021 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-01-2021, 11:25 AM

6,421 posts, read 8,324,930 times
I really don't understand the logic of trying to recommend that people new to the region move farther away from their job than necessary when traffic is absolutely terrible in the Bay Area- as if having A/C during the "summer" months is a worthy trade off? I just don't get it. I don't see where the OP said they'd be working fully remote and they seemed fine with being able to afford Alameda, so why recommend places that makes dealing with traffic a guaranteed nuisance?

Many people living in the Bay Area have no choice but to endure soul crushing traffic/BART because where we like living happens to be far from where we work, but telling people to move to Walnut Creek, and especially Fremont when they could live in Alameda sounds like such poor advice imo. Honestly I really think some people are just trying to rep their own city and not even bothering to read the OP.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaResiding View Post
I am not new to the Bay Area at all. I am not making things up either. If you look at that Fremont chart you pasted, there was about a whole week in August where it was about 85 F to 98 F and that is just one instance. Of course the south bay and east bay are not as hot as Walnut Creek on average. I am assuming as we move forward, these heat waves will only become more frequent.

Let's not forget, every summer , there are new fires ,smoke and toxic air that we have to deal with. So on top of the 90 F day, we can't open our windows because of the toxic smoke coming in from the fires, out in the mountains somewhere.

I am just saying that if for example, you live in San Jose, dealing with the heat would be a lot more annoying than someone living in Walnut Creek, that has easy access to live in a home or apartment with air condition. People bring up window AC but not everyone can get window AC; due to different circumstances or a specific apartment building they live in.

I know that 40-50 years ago it probably never got hotter than 80 F in most parts of the Bay Area and most people didn't need air conditioning. You assume I don't like the Bay Area, which is false. I was making a sarcastic joke about housing prices in the Bay Area and the amenities you get when you purchase a home in the Bay Area; especially for people from other states.
You may not realize how extreme the statement was that you made earlier. And btw, the Fremont weather calendar I posted was for July, not August, and in July, there were only a few scattered days between 80 and 85.
Here's what you said, to which I and another poster responded:
Quote:
The whole Bay Area is really really hot during the summer. I mean the past 5-6 summers have been around 90-100 degrees in most of the Bay Area.
This is a very broad, generalized statement, characterizing "the whole Bay Area" as having been "really really hot" all summer, even "the pst 5-6 summers" as "around 90-100 degrees". That simply has no bearing on reality, which Isi why you're getting the responses you have. If you didn't mean to say that the entire Bay Area has been between 90-100 degrees all summer for the past 5 years, you should have worded your statement differently. As it stands, it comes across as very fanciful, not truthful at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101;
.-Almost everything in WC and other inland communities has A/C. Lots of part of the central and south bay do not.
-With heat waves becoming more frequent and extreme, this is making the comfort factor a bigger issue and its more of a problem for those who do not have A/C.
I already addressed these points in the post to which you responded. The reason homes in the inner Bay Area don't have A/C is that it was never necessary back when most of the homes were built. As heat waves become more frequent, that is changing. It's easy enough to update the old furnaces in 20th Century homes to include A/C. Some homeowners have already done that, but the OP wouldn't know which "million-dollarhomes" have updated climate-control systems. He hasn't knocked on everyone's door to take a survey.

IDK what new construction is like in the inner Bay--whether A/C is now becoming the norm in new homes or apartments. In Seattle, it definitely is. That's probably where the Bay Area is headed, but it depends on each household's tolerance level, the length/frequency of heatwaves, and individual budgets as to the pace of conversion of home heating systems to include A/C.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I really don't understand the logic of trying to recommend that people new to the region move farther away from their job than necessary when traffic is absolutely terrible in the Bay Area- as if having A/C during the "summer" months is a worthy trade off? I just don't get it. I don't see where the OP said they'd be working fully remote and they seemed fine with being able to afford Alameda, so why recommend places that makes dealing with traffic a guaranteed nuisance?

Many people living in the Bay Area have no choice but to endure soul crushing traffic/BART because where we like living happens to be far from where we work, but telling people to move to Walnut Creek, and especially Fremont when they could live in Alameda sounds like such poor advice imo. Honestly I really think some people are just trying to rep their own city and not even bothering to read the OP.
This, too. I got the impression the WC suggestion was more about someone's personal preference in weather. A lot of people feel, that Alameda has ideal weather, though.

Anyway, the OP I'm sure is watching these "weather wars" play out from a safe distance on the sidelines. This tends to happen on Bay Area relo threads. Kind of a "my microclimate is better than your microclimate" competition.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:10 PM

12 posts, read 10,113 times
Quote:
This, too. I got the impression the WC suggestion was more about someone's personal preference in weather. A lot of people feel, that Alameda has ideal weather, though.

Anyway, the OP I'm sure is watching these "weather wars" play out from a safe distance on the sidelines. This tends to happen on Bay Area relo threads. Kind of a "my microclimate is better than your microclimate" competition.
Correct. I’m from Michigan, lived all over the south, mid Atlantic and northeast. Weather doesn’t bother me. I’m just looking for a safe place to live as i get my bearings. Alameda is fine but other options are good since I might not find a place there that I like.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueengineer View Post
Correct. I’m from Michigan, lived all over the south, mid Atlantic and northeast. Weather doesn’t bother me. I’m just looking for a safe place to live as i get my bearings. Alameda is fine but other options are good since I might not find a place there that I like.
Fair enough, though there do seem to be plenty of options there. But the point some of us are trying to make, is that you should take into consideration the length of your commute; it can make or break a livable life in the Bay Area. I would suggest looking in Albany and El Cerrito, if you need additional options to Alameda, or heck, you could even afford Berkeley. (Scope out rentals in north Berkeley, Elmwood (south Berkeley--easy walk to BART), Claremont (also S. Berkeley) and Berkeley hills.)

And the reason I suggest those is that they're on a continuous BART line through Oakland. Walnut Creek is not; the commute from there would require switching BART trains in north Oakland. And in case you were wondering, don't even think about a driving commute, unless your schedule at the airport is a swing shift or something that keeps you out of the worst of the typical commute hours.

We only have your best interests at heart, OP.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:49 AM

4,374 posts, read 6,349,485 times
I actually would second the vote for Walnut Creek over Alameda. I think Alameda is overrated, IMO. There are some areas there that seem a little bit rough to me (albeit not as bad as neighboring parts of Oakland). Yes, it's close to SF and Oakland (probably the best thing it has going for it), but it's often a little too chilly for my tastes. In my view, if you're not living IN SF to take advantage of everything going for it, there's a big drop off in general. I think Walnut Creek has the perfect mix if you're not living in SF. It has a great downtown with lots of restaurants/bars/stores, BART access, warm weather and most importantly, is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland