Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 04:09 PM

400 posts, read 449,116 times

Advertisements

I've been hiking with my dog numerous times in the North Bay and it seems no matter what he always comes out with multiple ticks on him. I found one on myself the other day. I used to live on the east coast and while we had some ticks, they weren't as bad as here in CA.

Why is this? The ticks here seem so numerous even in areas that aren't thick backwoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 04:40 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
They've been gradually moving out toward the West Coast from the east for decades. IDK, you might be able to find an article explaining the proliferation of them, online. Warmer winters? But the E Coast has always had very cold winters, and they survived there, so IDK.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:48 PM

308 posts, read 467,194 times
In the Oakland hills, it wasn't unusual to pull a tick off the dog on an almost weekly basis. Stay away from Crockett Hills in the spring. Two years ago, we decided to try it and our dog picked up over 300 ticks on our hike. I pulled/scrapped/pushed over 50 off of me, sometimes up to 5 at a time climbing up my legs. We spent hours cleaning that mess up. We were so inundated, we gave up on the tick puller and started using our fingernails because it was quicker. Thinking we got them all off our dog before we left the park, she brought them into the car, and then in the house, where we pulled another 20 off of her in the shower. I haven't been back to that park since ;-)

The next weekend, we were back at the Oakland Hills, just 10 miles away, and no ticks. Crockett Hills was mostly a grassy area, not a lot of trees or 'woods'. I don't know what really attracts them. Just nasty.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:51 PM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Ticks like warm-ish and wet. East has more ticks and more tick species, but has winters that keep them in check. You are hiking in a climate that has nearly no cold season. We have also had good rains. This assault you have experienced was predicted:
https://abc7news.com/health/sfsu-stu...eason/3387776/

Hateful little buggers, ain’t they?

Old 12-10-2018, 04:52 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Climate Change’s Role in Tick Migration

Disease cases from infected mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas have tripled in 13 years

Old 12-10-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Ticks like warm-ish and wet. East has more ticks and more tick species, but has winters that keep them in check. You are hiking in a climate that has nearly no cold season. We have also had good rains. This assault you have experienced was predicted:
https://abc7news.com/health/sfsu-stu...eason/3387776/

Hateful little buggers, ain’t they?

True but I've lived in Louisiana and they really don't have a cold season either. I still didn't experience as many ticks as I have here. My dog is on tick prevention meds but man those buggers still show up EVERYWHERE on him!

Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
In the Oakland hills, it wasn't unusual to pull a tick off the dog on an almost weekly basis. Stay away from Crockett Hills in the spring. Two years ago, we decided to try it and our dog picked up over 300 ticks on our hike. I pulled/scrapped/pushed over 50 off of me, sometimes up to 5 at a time climbing up my legs. We spent hours cleaning that mess up. We were so inundated, we gave up on the tick puller and started using our fingernails because it was quicker. Thinking we got them all off our dog before we left the park, she brought them into the car, and then in the house, where we pulled another 20 off of her in the shower. I haven't been back to that park since ;-)

The next weekend, we were back at the Oakland Hills, just 10 miles away, and no ticks. Crockett Hills was mostly a grassy area, not a lot of trees or 'woods'. I don't know what really attracts them. Just nasty.
They seek ankle to thigh high brush mostly. They don’t ‘jump’ as myth says. They hang on brush branch tips and ‘snag’ as you / dog / deer walk by and inadverdently come in contact with the scrub and bushes.

Few things more disgusting and infuriating than a tick.

Good news: the various infections, such as Lyme disease, they can transmit do not pass from them to your blood stream when they first bury their heads into your skin. It’s something like 12 + hours and more before you’re in danger typically. So you have time to pick them off after a hike without much concern.

Hateful ****ers. Kill them all with joyous celebration.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
True but I've lived in Louisiana and they really don't have a cold season either. I still didn't experience as many ticks as I have here. My dog is on tick prevention meds but man those buggers still show up EVERYWHERE on him!
Depending on the rx, they will climb aboard and dig in and then die in hours. Not all tick meds really work well. The ingested ones that are expensive as all f**k mostly do though.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:45 PM

Another thought ... have you heard of permethrin? Spray on your hiking clothes. Infuse them through soaking. Or buy permethrin pre-infused clothes.

Amazingly effective. Here’s an article. You can look for products on the net.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ived-from-mums

Old 12-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
They seek ankle to thigh high brush mostly. They don’t ‘jump’ as myth says. They hang on brush branch tips and ‘snag’ as you / dog / deer walk by and inadverdently come in contact with the scrub and bushes.

Few things more disgusting and infuriating than a tick.

Good news: the various infections, such as Lyme disease, they can transmit do not pass from them to your blood stream when they first bury their heads into your skin. It’s something like 12 + hours and more before you’re in danger typically. So you have time to pick them off after a hike without much concern.

Hateful ****ers. Kill them all with joyous celebration.

Lyme transmission usually takes 36+ hours. When the tick detaches from you/your dog after feeding they secrete an enzyme that the Lyme spirochetes live in. That's where the disease moves from them to you.

I'm not sure about other tick borne disease but imagine it is a similar timeframe for transmission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland