Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 15,440 times

Advertisements

Well, I just moved into a new house in Browns Mills, NJ... have a nice big fenced in yard... and i see the occasional tick on my dog, and remove it right away, most of the time they are still just walking around on her hair (she's a borzoi so she's got lots of hair)... Well, today she got out of the yard, and was running around town (and in the woods) for about 4 hours... well, once we found her, we also found many MANY ticks... put her right in the bath to make it a little easier to see them, i pulled off about 10, but still there were a few more... i'm afraid she's gonna get really sick now from this... i'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow, anything specific i should go right out and buy her? it's almost midnight and i'm sure no big pet places are gonna be open, or should she be alright till tomorrow when she goes to the vet...? Thanks to anybody who responds... this is kinda creepin me out a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
She'll be fine, but you might want to pick up something from the vet's office to clean out the wound you pull the ticks from. I've been using Dermachlor for multiple dog issues and it is wonderful!

Also, if you don't have one, you might want to invest in a tick puller. It's a little plastic fork-looking-thing that pulls ticks out easily and perfectly (much better than tweezers).

You could pick up both of the above at your vet's office for less than $20.

Ticks are nasty, and that is a lot of ticks, but getting them out is the key and you've done that already .

Old 01-11-2008, 10:30 PM

Yes, I was just looking around on the net and I see something called a tick twister.. makes it look pretty simple. I need to get started w/ my step dad at cleaning up the yard because there is just branchs and leaves EVERYWHERE... nobody has lived in the house or taken care of the yard in a long time. Anything you suggest to maybe spray in the yard or put on the grass to keep them away? and how is that Frontline Plus for the dog and cats that I see ads for on TV.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:16 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
You don't administer flea/tick medication to your dog? You better start, you don't want your dog or you to catch Lyme! Is he getting Heartguard?

Home Depot or Wal-Mart would sell stuff to treat yard for ticks, fleas or other stuff.
Frontline is OK, i use K-9 Adventix, or you can exchange them on monthly bases. Neither works very well for my dogs, so i use Preventic tick color, it works pretty good.
I would suggest you treat your house as well, ticks hide everywhere, baseboard, cracks, etc. They can stay there for up to 3 month without needing any "food"

Old 01-12-2008, 02:42 AM

Well,honestly i'm not 100% sure what my mom has given to the dog before, we only just moved out here like 3 days ago... don't even have all of our stuff here... but i'll look into everything you said. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2008, 07:40 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,101 times
psykobrat, first, congrats on your move! Having just relocated to NC in July, I can appreciate your situation--hope it proves to be a good fit for you! As for your Borzoi (wow, they're beautiful dogs--a former neighbor had one), I bet she had the time of her life off running for 4 hours--thank goodness she found her way back home!! That sounds very scary to me, with you just having moved there (hope all of her ID details are up-to-date). As for tick treatment, I use Frontline Plus for my dogs--my Standard Poodle actually tested positive for Lyme Disease last spring, and the treatment was long....many, many pills (with a mishap making it even longer ) And since moving here, with the year-round weather and ticks-aplentiful, I've been ever so diligent, 7th day of the month, for all three. BTW, Care-a-lot-Pets, an online store, sells products a bit cheaper than most vets, supply places, etc. (cost of Greenies can't compare!!). I know that doesn't help you for the immediate situation of all those ticks, but you totally have my sympathies...not many things do so, but ticks totally creep me out! When we walk in the woods here, the dogs always manage to be free and clear, but it's *me* the little buggers want to crawl on...ugh!! Best of luck to you, on all counts!

~PudelPie

Old 01-12-2008, 09:02 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Even on a preventative you might still see a tick. Shadow must have wallowed in a hatching nest this summer. I pulled 60+ ticks off of her in 48 hours. My vet gave me a Preventic collar, specific for ticks.

If you use Revolution your vet should provide one of those tick collars at no charge. Revolution is a little slow in the tick category and they know it, so they provide the tick collars to the vets.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:32 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I loathe ticks.
My dogs get a monthly application of Frontline. They will still occasionally get a tick if we walk in the woods. Of course, if there are any bites that look infected, the vet will probably do a course of antibiotics.
Your dog should certainly get Lyme disease vaccination, too.
I loathe ticks. Skankly ugly parasites.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:44 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykobrat View Post
Yes, I was just looking around on the net and I see something called a tick twister.. makes it look pretty simple. I need to get started w/ my step dad at cleaning up the yard because there is just branchs and leaves EVERYWHERE... nobody has lived in the house or taken care of the yard in a long time. Anything you suggest to maybe spray in the yard or put on the grass to keep them away? and how is that Frontline Plus for the dog and cats that I see ads for on TV.
That's the one! They key is to twist before pulling - don't just pull. The twist action makes the tick release and that way you can be sure to get the entire tick out - head and all.

With a dog running around in the backyard and maybe chewing on sticks, eating grass, etc., I'd be real careful about putting poisons on the lawn. In addition, over time, those poisons will damage the health of your lawn and will lead to other issues. There are organic solutions - check out a company called Gardens Alive - they have some products.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:09 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I use Frontline SPRAY I live in the woods in NE GA and I apply it about twice a month....the spray works better for those of us who live in tick infested areas. The spray lets you get ALL the places on the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs