Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 23,448 times

Advertisements

I was walking in an area next to a golf course in Fort Ord CA an old Army Base where there are old trees and bushes, very dry area, and let my dogs run free. When I got home I did not think or never though I would have to check my dogs for ticks. So, I drove to the corner store and came back home. After an hour I seen something on my dog and it was a tick and then I looked her all over. I then rushed to my other dog and one was on him. I started freakin out and booted up the computer to get information on the different types and was wigging out as I researched on the computer. I am very confused because they never had a tick on them so now I am worried if any fell off in the house. Is it possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 PM

48,128 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Our dogs are on the monthly tick and flea prevention.....that systemically kills ticks if they get on the dog and bit him.....we have found dead ticks on the bed where the dogs sleep....so a live tick got on them...bit them and then died and dropped off.

There are lots of ticks in the woods here....if we walk on the path out back of the house we are almost certain to get a tick on us never mind on the dog.

I did see a public health posting in my doctors office that Lyme Disease is very rare in Maine....so rare that it not recommended to get the vacination.....the incidence of infection is so small. Like I say......we have lots of ticks....lots of deer....and very little Lyme Disease.

The ticks give me the creepy crawlies but they dont scare me......much.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:42 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
I think many people get sick from tick bites and the dr.s think it is something else like joint desease .

I would check the dogs when they come in .

Old 05-31-2010, 05:59 AM

592 posts, read 1,814,220 times
I live on Long Island a tick and Lyme Disease haven. I've got a creepy story for you. First I'll qualify that this happened probably 65 years ago well before Lyme Disease was known or prevalent. My father used to hunt with his Irish Setter, so of course they were often in the woods. The dog picked up lots and lots of ticks on these frequent hunting excursions. Eventually, they infested the house and lived in the molding around the floors and would climb up their walls! I believe they got rid of them by leaving the house for about a week and filling it with a moth ball type powder (that is now illegal to sell) on carpets, around the edge of the floors at the molding, etc. before they left. Soooo, it is possible for ticks to breed indoors.

But, before you get completely creeped out let me say that it's highly unlikely for this to happen. I've never heard of it since and DH and I had dogs who have gotten ticks on them for the past 40 years, our entire adult lives, that we just dealt with as they got them. Coincidently, my DH was just telling someone about two nights ago how he used to get creeped out from them, but that I had a knack for getting them out and that I'm a wiz at it! (It's no longer an issue, because we use monthly drops on the dog now.)

Old 05-31-2010, 06:24 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
The story above me is going to give me nightmares.

We live in a wooded area, and have a lot of ticks around here, both dog ticks and deer ticks which carry Lyme Disease. I have to put monthly topical meds on our dogs and cats. The ticks do fall off the animals in the house, no doubt about it. It's pretty gross finding those big dog ticks on the floor. Step on them, and blood squirts everywhere. When my youngest was a toddler, he once picked up a dog tick on the floor and went to put it in his mouth. We yelled, "NOOOOO" in horror, and thankfully he put it down. Not only was I worried about the obvious gross factor, but the ticks have been poisoned if they bit the animals, and I certainly wouldn't want a young child to eat one. (I'm starting to feel slightly sick here-lol)

I am not sure what kind of tick-borne diseases are prevalent in California, you would have to research that. Maybe they aren't much of an issue there. But the topical meds do work, I'd just be cautious about using them if you have young children.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:34 PM

889 posts, read 2,712,819 times
I walk a country road daily with my lab/standard poodle mix. He runs freely. I apply a monthly topical med called "Advantix," which is supposedly for heart worm, fleas and ticks. I found three ticks in my house a week after I applied his meds. I watched one fall to the floor that had obviously sucked a gallon of blood. I called the vet and asked why would this happen when his meds were recently applied?? She said, "Oh, that medicine only kills one kind of tick that's prevalent in our area. If you want more protection, come buy a tick collar." Wish I had known that earlier! He is hard to go over and check for ticks because he is a big ball of curly fur. I decided to walk him on a looong leash, and keep him out of the ditches. Best wishes. Check your meds!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:41 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
so far, frontline plus is still working well for us..... have pulled 2 of the nasty little things off of ME this spring.... but none have been on the dogs yet......

Old 05-31-2010, 12:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
. have pulled 2 of the nasty little things off of ME this spring.... but none have been on the dogs yet......
Ditto.
This was a first for me.
But isn't late spring when the ticks are really hungry?
We've been in the woods on hikes a lot this past month, but I think we'll just stick to the beach at least for awhile.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:34 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
My dogs are on frontline so that takes care of the ticks biting them and attaching to them but frequently after we have been out on hikes I will find a tick on the floor or on me ( I can feel them as they are the larger ticks thus pick them off before they bite). I think because of the frontline they drop off the dogs and then I must look quite tastey to them. Jazz has always been good at spotting them on the floorsor the bed and she watches them and whines at them like she knows just how evil they are so I usually find the ones on the floor or bed. She actually seems to understand the word tick and I can have fun looking at a freckle or spot on my arm or leg and saying" Is that a Tick?" Jazz will rush over for a closer look. It is importantto get a 2nd opinion from an expert

Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Ticks

Flea Busters also does a good job with this (for the house). Also, if you have your home sprayed monthly, mention it to your technician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs