Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:13 PM

88 posts, read 169,032 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone want to live in LA? I hope you are not talking about the city- the county is OK. The bay area is in every way better then LA county. SF>LA city till eternity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:19 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,338,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I also am not a fan of LA living-wise, but OC and San Diego...thumbs up! My favorite city in California is La Jolla.
La Jolla isn't a city. It's part of San Diego.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,006,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I'm no LA hater by any stretch of the imagination, except for the Dogs. Screw them. Otherwise, I like the people I've met and always have a nice time in LA. I'm currently in West Hollywood for the week, as a matter of fact.

I have to say, every time I come down here, I like it a bit less and appreciate SF more. The ol' girl just has not aged well over the years--but it's not the same kind of urban patina as in SF. Here, it's just a kind of dirty, sun-bleached and graffiti-scrawled strip center aesthetic without much charm.

The lack of interaction on the street is also something I miss--yes, I know there are areas of LA that are lively and walkable, but they seem to be more planned, or tourist areas that you drive to--not organic neighborhoods with people (with very few exceptions, of course).

The air is also terrible here. I am aware that it is much improved from a decade or two ago, but it is still terribly smoggy to me and it smells pretty bad when there isn't much wind, as was the case last night. It gives me a sore throat and clogs my sinuses.

I do think the nightlife is more diverse and extensive here. I think that equals "better," though I have never been left wanting for entertainment in SF. And I suppose it is more affordable, though apples-to-apples, I'm pretty sure you're looking at near SF-level expense to live in more desirable areas of LA. I get that there are probably more lower-cost and still acceptable places in LA than in SF.

But relocating? Hmmm...I'd personally have to have an amazing opportunity lined up to do that. And if I did, I probably would move. I wouldn't necessarity chase an opportunity to move to LA, though. And just doing it for a change and to try my luck (as I did with SF) is not an option for me in LA.
The way I see it...

Orange County for your teens
Los Angeles for your early to mid-twenties
San Francisco for your mid/late-twenties and up
San Diego for retirement if desired

Old 03-12-2015, 12:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,164,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
The way I see it...

Orange County for your teens
Los Angeles for your early to mid-twenties
San Francisco for your mid/late-twenties and up
San Diego for retirement if desired
I so get this. I also think the San Fernando Valley would have been a good place for my teens, but that is heavily influenced by the media of my day (as well as an obsession with Oingo Boingo in my youth).

I actually think Sacramento might be a nice place to retire...if Sonoma (Glen Ellen, really) is financially unattainable.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:41 AM

3,980 posts, read 9,029,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I so get this. I also think the San Fernando Valley would have been a good place for my teens, but that is heavily influenced by the media of my day (as well as an obsession with Oingo Boingo in my youth).

I actually think Sacramento might be a nice place to retire...if Sonoma (Glen Ellen, really) is financially unattainable.
Ha! Oingo Boingo!! Dang--TOTALLY off topic but you reminded me of when I went to see their concert at Marriot's Great America in Santa Clara (which is now Six Flags). People were opening up those fluorescent glow in the dark bracelet things and swinging them around--some of that liquid stuff got in my eye and I had a glow in the dark eye for a while.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:48 AM

540 posts, read 657,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
If you like East Asian and Mexican girls, then SJ is the spot. If you like white girls, stay far away from SJ.
I like them so I like San Jose. They do have good looking white women too.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:20 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,569,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
I like them so I like San Jose. They do have good looking white women too.
Non-Hispanic whites make up 28% of the population in SJ vs 42% or so in SF, if you like to be around non-hispanic white people, then SF is a better choice, in a mixed setting you're 50% more likely to run into white people in SF, and less than half as likely to run into Hispanic people, 33% vs 15%

Los Angeles is similar to SJ in that regard, it is only 29% non-hispanic white, but the city is almost 50% Hispanic.

Ultimately in California, if you want to live around other white people SF and San Diego are your best bets, or you can move to the suburbs.

Though it should be said a very large percentage of Hispanic people are Catholic, and I think OP is not being prudent just summarily ruling these people out.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:55 PM

540 posts, read 657,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Non-Hispanic whites make up 28% of the population in SJ vs 42% or so in SF, if you like to be around non-hispanic white people, then SF is a better choice, in a mixed setting you're 50% more likely to run into white people in SF, and less than half as likely to run into Hispanic people, 33% vs 15%

Los Angeles is similar to SJ in that regard, it is only 29% non-hispanic white, but the city is almost 50% Hispanic.

Ultimately in California, if you want to live around other white people SF and San Diego are your best bets, or you can move to the suburbs.

Though it should be said a very large percentage of Hispanic people are Catholic, and I think OP is not being prudent just summarily ruling these people out.
What does that have to do with the fact there are hot white women in San Jose? I don't care about the percentage. Most of the women in San Francisco are not attractive. San Jose has a large College community and a different vibe than SF. I'm not that attracted to white women anyways. But I will have sex with them.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:01 PM

24,458 posts, read 27,275,455 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with the fact there are hot white women in San Jose? I don't care about the percentage. Most of the women in San Francisco are not attractive. San Jose has a large College community and a different vibe than SF. I'm not that attracted to white women anyways. But I will have sex with them.
I actually agree with your assessment of women in San Jose vs San Francisco. I never thought we would see eye to eye on a subject lol.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:04 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,090,180 times
Quote:
What vibe do you like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland