Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 AM

339 posts, read 516,355 times

Advertisements

If you buy in Albany or Alameda vs the good parts of Oakland for the same price you're an idiot. The food, nightlife and arts scene is taking off (and has been) in Oakland. Berkeley peaked in the 60s...SJ in the 90s...SF and OAK are the only culturally relevant cities currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 01:41 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,013,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Funny you should say that...

In 1957 two brothers both married... one bought a home near Bishop O'Dowd High School in Oakland with a panoramic view and the other bought a home in Lafayette for half the price...

The one that bought in Lafayette decided he couldn't afford the home he wanted in Oakland so he bought out in the boondocks because it was much cheaper... also turned out to be colder in the winter and hot in the summer.

Just trying to point out that comparing property is a snapshot in time... things change and Real Estate is very cyclical...

Look at South of Market in SF... there was a time when it was full of vacant industrial property and see how it has transformed...
Well, let's be honest, the two brothers weren't considering a city where 130 bodies got dropped on the street, with a sky rocketing violent crime rate. Oakland was a much different city 60 years ago.

Oakland may be a different city 60 years in the future, but how is that relevant for anyone able to post in this thread?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:54 AM

36,664 posts, read 67,591,134 times
L
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
If you buy in Albany or Alameda vs the good parts of Oakland for the same price you're an idiot. The food, nightlife and arts scene is taking off (and has been) in Oakland. Berkeley peaked in the 60s...SJ in the 90s...SF and OAK are the only culturally relevant cities currently.
About Berkeley, its interesting how Oakland has basically taken over the arts and nightlife and dining scene in the East Bay when for so long Berkeley was considered the hub for that-now its definitely Oakland, not that Berkeley is a slouch.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,672,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
L

About Berkeley, its interesting how Oakland has basically taken over the arts and nightlife and dining scene in the East Bay when for so long Berkeley was considered the hub for that-now its definitely Oakland, not that Berkeley is a slouch.
It really is...I think it has to do with demographics, size of each city, and the anti-business policies of Berkeley. Hopefully Oakland won't try to overvalue its newfound resurgence and start feeing and taxing people out the ying-yang to start a business in town, which is basically what ruined Berkeley.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM

861 posts, read 1,250,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsmithwick View Post
I just moved to SF and find this city to expensive and cluttered. I've only visited Oakland 3 times and found it to have less people and less traffic which gives it a nice slower pace. But i admit I havent been there during the night. I see on the news about all the killings and high crime. I read all about what the FBI says. But then again he media likes to focus on the negative and ignore the positive. Is there anyone here who has lived in Oakland for at least a year and can give me the 'real lowdown'?
My experience is limited to the Civic Center and waterfront. I never had a problem or felt in peril. But I'm a big white guy in his 50's and look like a cop. For what that's worth. And I never visited the city at night (except the waterfront, where I dined and stayed in hotels).

The news stories make it look like a third world country.

All that being said, the data is there to support it is a high crime area.

A few years ago, I was walking with my daughter through a unfamiliar area of SFO and not paying a lot of attention to our surroundings. Within one block, we went from "safe" to "we gotta get outta here now!'.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 AM

I had a grand time at Luka's with my bff frim Los Angeles who now desparately wants to move here because Oakland feels more "authentic" in his words.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,409,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It really is...I think it has to do with demographics, size of each city, and the anti-business policies of Berkeley. Hopefully Oakland won't try to overvalue its newfound resurgence and start feeing and taxing people out the ying-yang to start a business in town, which is basically what ruined Berkeley.
Sad but true. Berkeley today is having to face what it always wanted to avoid, letting the larger chains move in to fill the gaps. Compared to other cities though, it still has a lot of small businesses but not like it once did. Hopefully Oakland continues to do it right. If not, cities like Richmond are dying to steal that thunder. Richmond calls itself "the second chance city. If Oakland drops the ball Richmond will happily pick it up. I love what's happening in Oakland right now. It has even stolen Berkeley's thunder as an activist city.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Anyway my bff is going to be houseshopping here...I'll keep you all posted.

LMAO

Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,715,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Well, let's be honest, the two brothers weren't considering a city where 130 bodies got dropped on the street, with a sky rocketing violent crime rate. Oakland was a much different city 60 years ago.

Oakland may be a different city 60 years in the future, but how is that relevant for anyone able to post in this thread?
I bought several Oakland homes in the 90's and my friends told me I was throwing my money away...

Sold some around 2005 to invest in commercial... Oakland property enjoyed the highest appreciation in the Bay Area... homes that were selling for 100 to 125k were selling for 500k. It was the same city with the same crime Stats.

People said it would never happen in their lifetime and it did and the way Real Estate goes... I'm sure it will happen again.

You have identified the problem... in the eighties, I was in a neighborhood with a gang problem... ten years later... no gang problem... the neighborhood gang members either died, went to prison or had a come to Jesus moment...

Old 02-02-2013, 01:52 PM

Anyway, my besty from Los Angeles who is now planning on moving here asap, he really loved the food and the ambience of Temescal, Uptown, Downtown and Rockridge(the areas that we hung out in).

We had breakfast at Brown Sugar Kitchen(Brown Sugar Kitchen) before I dropped him off at the airport-the food was perfection....one thing about Oakland, its very easy to show visitors a great time.

#lmmfao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland