Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 PM

121 posts, read 210,196 times

Advertisements

I shared my plan to move to SF with a friend, and he expressed interest in moving and staying with me. His situation is that he is currently "stuck" in his career/life and wants a fresh start. He's a great guy and I'd like to help him, but I'm not sure if I have the means. I can house him if I have a 1br apt, but I don't yet know what kind of home I'll be able to get. It could end up being a room share.

But let's say I do end up with a spacious 1br apt. Realistically, my friend is totally broke, and I don't see him being able to afford his own place (including room share) for a while. So he would need to stay with me for a while. How would a landlord look at this situation?

My instinct tells me it's not a good idea to move to the most expensive housing market in the US when one has no income to start with. But would like to hear your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 PM

881 posts, read 1,816,022 times
If you value the friendship, just say NO. I have seen best friends end their friendship COMPLETELY after living together.

It's easier to become friends with your roommates, then turn a friend into a roommate. That is my opinion, WITHOUT factoring his financial situation.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
If you value the friendship, just say NO. I have seen best friends end their friendship COMPLETELY after living together.

It's easier to become friends with your roommates, then turn a friend into a roommate. That is my opinion, WITHOUT factoring his financial situation.
I totally agree, regardless of the financial situation. When I went to grad school, I moved in with my best friend from high school and it was the worst living arrangement that I've ever had. We moved out after a year and have maintained a friendship Both of us now agree that it was a pretty horrible idea to move in together.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 AM

64 posts, read 193,171 times
If you have the time, you can do a trial run where you live now, before making the move to SF.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 AM

121 posts, read 210,196 times
One thing I was wondering is whether he would need to go on the apt application as an official tenant, and how would landlords look at that. Would it make it even harder for me to find an apt?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,013,087 times
Yeah, it's not a good idea.

First off, he would have to be on the initial lease if he's going to live there. So that means he would have to have a credit check, etc. If he's unemployed, that could really dash your hopes for getting a place in the competitive S.F rental market.

Secondly, it's just a bad idea from a friendship standpoint. Imagine if he's unemployed for 8 months straight (some have been unemployed for much longer in CA's weak economic atmosphere). All the while he's lounging on your couch, watching TV, waiting for anyone to call with a job offer. You would probably get resentful after a while.

Best thing for him to do is find a job BEFORE he makes the move to S.F. Once he's stable and proven he's got some staying power, maybe you two could try a shared living situation.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,996,202 times
It could ruin your friendship because you guys will still go out to eat, bars etc and you'll be thinking after awhile why did he buy that shirt, why did he buy three shots, why did he blah blah blah yet isn't helping me pay for anything.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiler View Post
My instinct tells me it's not a good idea to move to the most expensive housing market in the US when one has no income to start with. But would like to hear your opinion.
You answered your own question.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM

46 posts, read 226,073 times
I don't think he would have to be on the lease or have a credit check done if you're planning on, and capable of, paying the rent on your own. You would need to be sure that it's okay to have a long-term guest stay with you. You should keep in mind, though, that if you get tired of having him stay with you rent free and you want him out, you would have to go through the eviction process with him if he refused to leave voluntarily. If your landlord did specify you couldn't have guests stay with you for more than 15 consecutive days and he found out your friend was living with you, he could give you a 3 day notice of correction, in which case your friend would need to be gone in three days or you'd both be evicted for cause.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:52 PM

460 posts, read 982,470 times
Deadbeat roommates are pain to kick out. I didn't find a new apartment with my roommate after he lost his job. Who wants to pay for 2?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland