Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,182 times

Advertisements

As many of the regular posters know on this forum, I am originally from San Francisco. I am looking to move back to the area in a few months. I realize that rent, in general, in SF is very high. I won't be making a ton of money if and when I do move back. Specifically, I am looking for an apartment with rent around or below $1000 a month. Somewhere in Oakland or the East Bay would be great. Although I grew up in SF, I am only vaguely familiar with Oakland and much of the East Bay as many San Franciscans are. What area would have the most bang for the buck in terms of diversity, overall neighborhood safety and, most of all, apartment affordability?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 05:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Grand Lake/Adams Point/Cleveland Heights/Lakeside Apartments district. These are all pretty close to each other. Have average to good transit. They are cheap and safe (as long as you don't decide to leave your ipad on the front seat of your car overnight). There is a little bit of property crime. These areas are among the densest in Oakland. Distance to BART varies, but generally each place is within a mile - 1.5 miles of a BART station at any point in the area. Apartment stock will vary: charming old buildings from the turn of the century to the soviet block style 60s buildings. Lakeside Apartments is the "least safe" and closest to BART and downtown Oakland. Some of the blocks are a little dark and deserted at night, there is a fair amount of retirement communities in the area. You just need to use basic common sense. Violent crime is pretty rare, and obviously avoid the dark streets at night. $1000 should get you a well appointed studio or average 1 bedroom in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland