Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 PM

159 posts, read 491,786 times

Advertisements

I'm 17, going to be 18 next month, and I live in Santa Rosa, an hour north of San Francisco. I've been thinking about moving to SF sometime soon, because I just don't really want to live here anymore. But I wonder if moving to SF is actually realistic for a person like me.

I'm enrolled at a junior college right now in Santa Rosa and I'm wondering if there are many jobs for young people in SF, or if it's possible for me to be a roommate at some residence somewhere in the city. I don't really mind what part of the city it's in, just not a real ghetto area, of course. But I wouldn't mind it if the place seemed a little sketchy, because I've always lived in places like that or near places like that, lol

And I'm just wondering, what will it be like to transition from living in the suburbs like Santa Rosa and then living in San Francisco? The main reasons why I want to move down there because it just seems more interesting there. A lot of character down there, and city life seems cool. Also, I'm half Asian, and here in Santa Rosa the Asian population is fairly small and I'd like a big Asian community like San Francisco. I'm an nonathletic nerdy looking Asian kid and the city I live in now just isn't the best place for a guy like me. Also, I'd like to use more public transportation and stuff like BART which lacks in the place I live in.

And if there's other places like in Oakland, I'd be willing to live there. Of course, somewhere like downtown Oakland maybe, where it's not extremely ghetto but actually somewhat livable. But still preferable actual SF.

Thank you,
Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,086,206 times
Uh, go to college then try to get a job wherever you want to live. You're not going to get a good job without a college degree or any work experience. Maybe transfer to SFSU when you get your AA and you can live in SF or near there.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,600,425 times
You're better off finishing college as quickly and cheaply as possible before going to SF. Unless your parents can afford to give you major financial help to support your schooling while living in SF, how would you expect to pay for everything while going to school full time?

My advice is do well at CC and transfer to the best university you can get accepted to, wherever it is, and study something serious like finance, accounting, or engineering. Then move to SF and get yourself a real job so you can actually afford to live there.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:51 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,467,452 times
do you have any relatives in SF? maybe you could stay with relatives, that would be the easiest way to live there at your age

Old 09-01-2011, 02:57 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,010,334 times
Finish your degree first and than apply for jobs. Since you are only an hour drive from SF, it will be easy for you to meet for interviews. Once you have a job lined up, you will know how much you can afford.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,700,365 times
Live at home for free, get your parents to pay for your education, take the train into the city on weekends.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 PM

159 posts, read 491,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
do you have any relatives in SF? maybe you could stay with relatives, that would be the easiest way to live there at your age
I have a relative or two living in San Mateo, but I'm not really close to them, and San Mateo is probably too far from SF for me.

So yeah I guess the best thing is to do really well at the JC here and then go to SF State.

What neighborhoods do you think are popular for somebody like me?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:36 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,010,334 times
Depends on your budget...but if you don't know many people staying in the dorms for one year is a great way to meet people and it's pretty fun. After a year, you'll want your own room, but for one year it's a fun experience.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:55 PM

23 posts, read 63,162 times
lol I think I also answered your question on yahoo answers. internet is a smaller place now...

Old 09-04-2011, 02:56 PM

23 posts, read 63,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Live at home for free, get your parents to pay for your education, take the train into the city on weekends.
What train? there is no BART in the North Bay...only a very inefficient bus system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland