Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:57 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
This year, in fact the last few years, have been much cooler than average along the entire west coast, but I remember some really hot years and hot summers a few years back too.
Oh really? Care to back up that statement... SF weather is very much close to long term average this year. Instead of imagining that it was nicer earlier just admit that the weather her always been sucky and will be in the future unless 'global warming' does some miracles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 PM

560 posts, read 581,542 times
You may want to consider moving as far south in the pennisula where the warmer weather is to your liking and live close enough where you can take the train to work. Personally I much prefer living in warmer climate and love the south bay. But as some have said here, there are alot of choices in the pennisula especially as further south you go for that warmer climate.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Oh really? Care to back up that statement... SF weather is very much close to long term average this year. Instead of imagining that it was nicer earlier just admit that the weather her always been sucky and will be in the future unless 'global warming' does some miracles.
So the six week stretch of beautiful weather in the 60s and 70s in January and early February was all in my head? It was rather unusual, so I'd think you'd remember it. It was 80 degrees in the Easy Bay in late January. People were talking about it quite a bite, and I even saw an episode of "Check Please, Bay Area" that was filmed in the winter and the restaurateurs were talking about how their patios were open.

Anyway, according to statistics at San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it should be about 65F on average IN San Francisco in April and May, and if you say it's been mostly in the 50s, then it's not close at all to long term average.

Also, it says that the temperature in SF exceeds 75F only 28 days a year, which in my book makes the climate in SF pretty chilly. I don't disagree that it's generally cool in SF, and I live in the East Bay in part because I don't like the climate, but it's just not AS cold as you like to say. The predominant temperature in SF for most of the year (save the warmest and coldest days) is in the low to mid 60 degree range.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Anyway, according to statistics at San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it should be about 65F on average IN San Francisco in April and May, and if you say it's been mostly in the 50s, then it's not close at all to long term average.
If you just get out for one hour during the warmest part of the day then it could very well be 65 in the parts of city with warmer microclimate. But pretty much every single day of the year before 11 AM and after 5 PM the temp is always in the 50s or even lower. The evening temp in the western part of the city can even get to high 40s in summer! Daily high doesn't mean anything... Daily average is a better measurement. Also there is always the fog and wind factor.

The weather here is good only during freak heat waves which would be less than 10 days/year. Its ugly and pathetic otherwise.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:47 AM

I still say: look at long term climate data to get an accurate long term understanding of climate. Short term climate observations have no significant and highly skewed statistical value. That's why moving averages go at least thirty years for climate data.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2011 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post

Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 PM

So here's the forecast for next 10 days and this is supposedly one of the best month in SF weather-wise:

10 Day Weather Forecast for San Francisco, CA - weather.com

So when does the temp hit 65??? BTW, all the partly sunny days will in reality will have a lot of fog along the coast-

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2011 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post

Old 05-26-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Short term climate observations have no significant and highly skewed statistical value. That's why moving averages go at least thirty years for climate data.
And that's the point you are missing. You pick few unusually warm weeks in winter and the average for the SF location with warmest microclimate to make your case. The fact is you need to wear a sweater/jacket every single day in this frigid city and anyone who has ever lived there knows that the temp is above 65 rarely and only for few hours. Its not like you will be dining a patio at 8 PM with nice 70 degree weather. That will NEVER happen!

Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 AM

31 posts, read 139,571 times
Okay, here's June of last year: History : Weather Underground
21 days were above 65

I took a random day above 65, June 17th (History : Weather Underground) and it shows being above 65 from 10am to 4pm.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 AM

Different years make up averages. This is not a year for nice weather. It's consistently been 10 to 20 degrees below average in the warmer parts of the Bay Area for months now. I'm in San Diego right now, and it's raining like it's December. The west coast has been weird for the past two years, not at all normal.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2011 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Different years make up averages. This is not a year for nice weather. It's consistently been 10 to 20 degrees below average in the warmer parts of the Bay Area for months now. I'm in San Diego right now, and it's raining like it's December. The west coast has been weird for the past two years, not at all normal.
Weather averages doesn't matter. Climate change is changing the long term weather patterns and this is the new normal! And few days of sunshine in January is not enough to compensate for months of rainy, cold, foggy, windy weather. Why anyone would like this non-stop annoying weather without any variation is completely beyond me!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2011 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: Edited out refererence to deleted comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland