Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM

17 posts, read 57,140 times

Advertisements

Where can I get it, and how do I use it? I've seen it used on BART, but how does one use it on the muni, trolley, or those rail thingys on fishersmans wharf? I mean is there a machine on the bus too like BART stations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,106,507 times
They hand them out for free sometimes at Muni stations. Go to the Clipper website and it should tell you how to get one.

To use it you put it near a scanner. I have a Translink card (now replaced by Clipper but I think it's the same thing) that I keep in my wallet and to get it to scan I put my wallet on top of the scanner for a second or so then it beeps and lets me go through.

On Muni buses and trains there are scanners at all the doors, so theoretically you could get on a back door and scan it. Just put it up to the scanner and it beeps. Seems like the ones on buses don't work a lot so the driver just lets you go on without any trouble.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:48 AM

129 posts, read 405,619 times
Default How do I get, and use a clipper card?

Hello!

The gal who has been subleting the Berkeley apt. that I am going to sublet beginning Aug. 6th, emailed me about the clipper card. Here is what she had to say about it:

"My first day here I walked into Walgreens Drug Store and bought something called a Clipper card. (https://www.clippercard.com/ClipperWeb/index.do) It's pretty new and a lot of locals are still unfamiliar - but basically, you put money on it and it works on all the public transportation - BART, AC transit (the bus system in the East Bay) MUNI (the bus/trolley system in SF) and a few more. I have had no problem with it and have used it on everything".

Hope that helps you!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:10 PM

227 posts, read 539,668 times
www.clippercard.com

It's the same thing as the TransLink card (was) but re-branded. You can travel on AC Transit, Golden Gate Transit/Ferry, Muni, BART, CalTrain using one card. You can load passes or cash value on the card and, once tagged on a Clipper card reader, will deducted from the appropriate pass or value for the transit system. Eventually, Clipper will be on all 26ish transit systems in the Bay Area.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 PM

5 posts, read 37,305 times
in case if you haven't seen this.

YouTube - ‪Clipper introduction (English)‬‎

Old 08-05-2010, 11:19 PM

17 posts, read 57,140 times
ok a few more questions, i know you have to use the clipper card twice to get on and off BART, but what about muni? someone above did say muni bus drivers just check the card since the scanners don't work.

and what about those tram thingys i see that go up and down fishermans wharf?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 AM

227 posts, read 539,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo1991 View Post
ok a few more questions, i know you have to use the clipper card twice to get on and off BART, but what about muni? someone above did say muni bus drivers just check the card since the scanners don't work.

I'm not sure about the trams, but if they're Muni, then there is likely a reader on the tram, and you will need to tag your card against it. IF the Clipper readers are working on Muni (and they should be) you will only need to tag once. If the readers aren't working or if Muni drivers are just waving folks through--than yeah, you got a free ride (if you only have cash on your card). You have to tag twice on BART (once at each station) so Clipper knows the correct value to deduct from the card, as BART prices based on distance traveled. On buses and ferries, you just tag once. I'm not sure about Caltrain--if they have different fares depending on the station (distance based pricing) then you'd probably have to tag twice there as well.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,707,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
I'm not sure about Caltrain--if they have different fares depending on the station (distance based pricing) then you'd probably have to tag twice there as well.
Yup.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,106,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo1991 View Post
ok a few more questions, i know you have to use the clipper card twice to get on and off BART, but what about muni?
Only once.

Quote:
someone above did say muni bus drivers just check the card since the scanners don't work.
They don't check the card because they don't have scanners to do so. If the scanner by the bus door doesn't work I just tell the driver it's not working and they tell you not to worry about it and wave you past.

Quote:
Those are the F Market streetcars. They have scanners at the door too.

Also if you are on a Muni Metro train and the fare inspectors come by and ask you for your ticket, you show them your card and they have a bulky scanner to check it. The bus drivers don't have these scanners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland