Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 6,915 times

Advertisements

I have searched a bunch of old posts too but thought I would ask directly as well.

My husband and I and our 6 month old are moving from Boston to work at UCSD. We are looking for a family friendly apartment complex that is within biking distance/public transportation. We only have one car and would like the option to commute separately if necessary. Since we have a baby, we really need a place that isn't going to be undergrad party central, hopefully, quiet in the evenings. We also want to be in a complex as we can't really afford to travel out to see it. Renting online/phone is probably a somewhat safe bet, although we do have friends that can take a look at a couple places for us. Looking for 2BR or 1BR+Den floor plans. Max budget ~1800.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 06:06 PM

233 posts, read 887,107 times
I would look into La Jolla Del Sol. It is right at the shuttle stop to UCSD. It is also next to a strip mall with a grocery store, pizza, chinese, bagel shop, nail salon, yoga, tanning, etc. There is even a Starbucks in the grocery store. There is a playground IN the complex but there is a larger one right across the street with baby swings. Many UCSD families live there. I live across in another complex but I see strollers coming out of there all the time. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:07 PM

Here is the link

ARCH Housing La Jolla del Sol Apartment Complex

Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,082,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda681 View Post
I have searched a bunch of old posts too but thought I would ask directly as well.

My husband and I and our 6 month old are moving from Boston to work at UCSD. We are looking for a family friendly apartment complex that is within biking distance/public transportation. We only have one car and would like the option to commute separately if necessary. Since we have a baby, we really need a place that isn't going to be undergrad party central, hopefully, quiet in the evenings. We also want to be in a complex as we can't really afford to travel out to see it. Renting online/phone is probably a somewhat safe bet, although we do have friends that can take a look at a couple places for us. Looking for 2BR or 1BR+Den floor plans. Max budget ~1800.
OH,well,if you are open to going a couple of exits north,Carmel Valley would be excellent for you. Many people who work at scripps,ucsd,etc. live in the area.
It's upscale,but there are complexes that are family friendly in your budget. The area is adjacent to Torrey Pines state park/the ocean is 3 miles.

Try The Lakes, and The Club at Torrey Pines,and do a search on rentnet for other complexes,as none are coming to midn off hand.
There are numerous parks w/in walking distance of any of the plexes,and all are walking distance to all the schools [not a concern for you,i know,but showing that it is a very family oriented place.]
UTC is harder,as is La Jolla,IMO,as it caters to students and professionals,and the area has grown SO much in the last 15 yrs,that it's not as 'nicely walkable' anymore,or even as safe,as Carmel Valley.

Carmel valley is walking distance from most of the plexus,from numerous grocery stores [including a natural foods store],movies,hardware store,cafes,restaurants,etc. There are children and families,everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. And there are many families from korean,india,china,in addition to caucasian,persian and other ethnic representation,as it were. People choose this area b/c the schools are one of the more desireable in SD district.
The area reflects that: family friendly with a focus on having an optimum environment for one's children. Many children walk to school daily;my son who is 9 plays outside with his friends alone on a regular basis. The sidewalks are wide,it's very clean,and is very convenient to north or south SD.

I personally find it much easier to get into or out of than LJ/UTC,yet it's only 10 or 15 min. from that area,which had additional shopping and amenities.

As well,like I said,the beach is 3 miles,and you do not need to go on a freeway to get to it. You can actually bike,as many do. And a couple of 12 yr olds in our neighborhood in the summer take their scooters and a back pack and spend the afternoon at the beach.

This kind of luxury is something my spouse experienced growing up in SD,but it is rare now,for sure. This neighborhood is one of the rarer ones.

And now the secret is out! lol
Don't tell too many people,seriously.
I have lived in multiple areas of SD over the last 10 years,and I do not pay more to live in CV,and it is by far the best area I've lived in. (It is thought of as very upscale,and out of most people's budgets,so most people do not look-but all of SD has gotten pricey now,and CV is not as high as people think....shhh...)
I currently pay 1460 for a 2/2 with w/d in the unit,(about 900 sq. ft.)and tennis courts,pool,etc. Management is excellent and responsive,and like I said,the lower -end complexes in this area will be no problem for 1800 max.
It's also a very treed area-lots of shade and nature for a suburb.

Good luck whatever you decide;I recommend at least checking out CV,though,for sure.
ps-I am originally from Boston!
pps-There are NO students and parties in this area. It is quiet,quiet,quiet. I know both this area vs. the one you are mentioning. Have your friends look in Carmel Valley,near Jimbo's market and Torrey Pines High School/Del Mar Heights Rd. They can take pics for you of the surrounding area,maybe? And you will see what I mean.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-13-2010 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,082,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDeb View Post
I would look into La Jolla Del Sol. It is right at the shuttle stop to UCSD. It is also next to a strip mall with a grocery store, pizza, chinese, bagel shop, nail salon, yoga, tanning, etc. There is even a Starbucks in the grocery store. There is a playground IN the complex but there is a larger one right across the street with baby swings. Many UCSD families live there. I live across in another complex but I see strollers coming out of there all the time. If you have any more questions, let me know.
YEs,this is an option,and is decent.
If you have a car,though,I still recommend Carmel Valley,b/c UCSD is not 'university' like Boston is a college town.
SD is not set up like a university vibe place,at all.
So 'being closer to the univ.' is not,at all,going to give you more of a 'college town' vibe. Unless you need to be closer b/c you don't have a car,then there are better options for your particular needs/family,IMO and in my experience.

And LJ/UTC has more traffic,more parties and more crime than CV,without necessarily having more amenities. UTC does have a big mall,and CV only has a few boutiques,and LJ/UTC has a trader joe's and whole foods. They are ten minutes drive from CV.,if you need to venture beyond your neighborhood for the extra amenities.

And the quality of life/serenity,is higher in CV.

I know I sound like a walking billboard for CV;lol.
I just know,as a parent with a child,and who also looked for something quiet without parties,clean,etc.
just how important these factors are in day-to-day living.
CV for sure,unless you need to walk or bike to ucsd. Then stay in that area.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-13-2010 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,915 times
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to bike from CV to UCSD (we will be at the Salk Institute)? Google maps says about 8-9 miles, not sure of the terrain so I don't know if this is a doable bike ride for an average person. I am only thinking that I would like the option for my spouse and I to commute seperately without having to get a second car. In case one of us has to work late and I don't want my kid to be in daycare for 10hours. Although, if the savings in rent justify a second car, its not totally out of the question.

If I had to choose, blasting music at 11pm and waking up my infant is a lot worse than a more inconvenient commute.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:56 PM

There is a HUGE hill on the coast highway past Torrey Pines that you would have to bike up to get to Salk. I do see people do it but you would have to shower before work.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,866,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDeb View Post
There is a HUGE hill on the coast highway past Torrey Pines that you would have to bike up to get to Salk. I do see people do it but you would have to shower before work.
Indeed, Torrey Pines grade stands in the way of biking to work for the average rider. Getting there would require some serious pedaling, but the ride home would be a breeze with a beautiful ocean view!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:26 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,565,122 times
My dad rides his bike to UCSD from the University City side. It's a MUCH easier ride. You sound like my family 30 years ago...

Old 02-16-2010, 10:51 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,541,931 times
I don't think Carmel Valley to UCSD on a bicycle is realistic.

If you are not having a car, you need to be very close to the university.

I would suggest University City (not UTC), look at houses instead of apartments. Living in an apartment complex around the University, you will have a mix of undergrads and older adults, but probably few families. I doubt anything around UTC will be "party central", but those older apartment complexes are guaranteed to be noisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: