Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 32,060 times

Advertisements

At this very moment there are at least 2 helicopters flying repeated circles over my south-Kensington neighborhood. I can see that one is a News 8 copter. This has been going on for over 20 minutes and is not at all unusual given the proximity to "the 15". This is COMPLETELY maddening!!!

I would love to communicate with others that feel as ill as I do over this constant intrusion into our right to peace and quiet. I know I'm not alone in my feeling about this situation - just "Google" Helicopter Noise and you'll see the problem is apparently world-wide...ughhhh... with littel success at putting a stop to it.

What can we do????

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 06:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,470,312 times
Welcome to living in a populated area.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,128,778 times
As far as I know - not much. We get chopper noise all the time.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone has any useful info.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 PM

4,544 posts, read 12,414,343 times
I know what you mean steve, it drives me to distraction too.

When it happens in the summertime when the windows are open, I have to crank up the TV volume. Thank goodness for the remote which makes that fast and easy.

BTW, our councilwoman Toni Atkins will be attending the June Kensington-Talmadge Planning Advisory Board Meeting on June 13th - 6:30 p.m. Kensington Community Church. There will be a section devoted to public comment. You might bring up the issue to her at that time. But as the others have said, it's hard to see anyone being willing to cross the news media about regulating the amount and frequency of hover time.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:52 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,495,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevaboy View Post
At this very moment there are at least 2 helicopters flying repeated circles over my south-Kensington neighborhood. I can see that one is a News 8 copter. This has been going on for over 20 minutes and is not at all unusual given the proximity to "the 15". This is COMPLETELY maddening!!!

I would love to communicate with others that feel as ill as I do over this constant intrusion into our right to peace and quiet. I know I'm not alone in my feeling about this situation - just "Google" Helicopter Noise and you'll see the problem is apparently world-wide...ughhhh... with little success at putting a stop to it.

You live in the city, you have to learn to deal with it. It's part of the soundscape of urban life along with tire skids,buses,sirens, freeway noise, car alarms, airplanes.... loud motorcycles, loud bass'ed out cars, power tools, construction noise... and my personal hell... barking dogs.

News choppers are the worst, they can circle for hours. You should certainly complain to News 8 or I suppose even make a noise complaint with SDPD (but good luck getting it followed up on). You can also complain to your SD city councilperson. Maybe even the FAA?

I would imagine be some sort of rule on how long they can circle the same position.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:04 PM

840 posts, read 6,517,832 times
I didn't really mind the helicopter noise at all. I actually kind of miss it now.

If it's the news copter, they're either reporting the traffic or something happened.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 32,060 times
I think to just sit back and learn to deal with any bad situation instead of taking action to stop it is what's wrong with our society today. If people don't get involved and take action then it's business as usual and the culprits get away with whatever they're doing. I like the suggestion of talking to the city councilwoman - for what good that will do. Keep in mind I'm not complaining about the occasional helicopter flying over - not a problem! It's this constant circling over one area just to sensationalize some mishap for a live newscast - that's rude and inconsiderate beyond reason and degrades our quality of life. If I wanted to live in what sounds like a war-zone I'd join the military and go to Iraq!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:11 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,579,441 times
I love chopper noise
lol
from what i saw on the news it was a police chase that ended by CA-15

Old 05-18-2007, 08:41 AM

840 posts, read 6,517,832 times
I checked KMFB's website and it was a chase and pot bust.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:13 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,128,778 times
I was just at SDPD's Traffic Division HQ on Aero Dr to pick up a permit and I asked about excessive news chopper noise/hovering.

The officer told me that all news choppers have to fly within FAA regulations and that every news chopper in the air is tracked by flight towers out of Montgomery, Lindbergh or Gillespie (I think he said Gillespie).

When news coverage is for a prolonged chase or incident in one area, another set of regs comes into play - all still monitored by FAA and flight tower.

He said that any violation to the regulations in place is serious and that news stations are pretty cognizant of that. I said that news choppers seem to get a pretty wide berth - he smiled but didn't say anything.

He was sympathetic but said that even with complaints (which they receive all the time), you'd be having to fight not just the city/newstations/SDPD, but federal - FAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego