Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:32 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times

Advertisements

It isn't just news. I had Border Patrol doing helicopter flights over my place twice in the 5 years in La Mesa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 04:04 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I would imagine be some sort of rule on how long they can circle the same position.
I only fly fixed wing, so I'm not completely privy, but generally, nope, given a few conditions exist that are too boring to bother anyone here with.

Here's a link to San Diego's sectional chart:
SkyVector.com - Aeronautical Charts - Flight Planning

The class B airspace is quite complicated in the San Diego Area, as you can see. Many airports in little space. (To name a few, there's Lindbergh, Montgomery, Miramar, North Island, Gillespie, Imperial Beach, Brown, Ramona)... Mission Valley is a great corridor for traffic to use because you can stay below this congested class B airspace, as it bottoms out at 4800' in that area, so it's only natural that traffic's going to flow through there (and the immediately surrounding mesas, like Kensington) because if you can stay out of that congested Class B airspace, you do, hence why it seems that all sorts of traffic gravitates to that area. Plus, news and police go to where the action is, i.e. the city and freeways.

Last edited by tande1n5; 02-22-2008 at 04:16 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 07:54 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,262,232 times
Lived in Chula Vista off of Telegraph canyon and would hear Choppers at least once every couple weeks or so.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:00 PM

37 posts, read 169,317 times
If you are close to the freeway then the news helicopter is looking for traffic accidents. If you are in the "hood" then the ghettobird aka police helicopter is looking to solve a crime.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:46 PM

8 posts, read 81,236 times
My wife and I live in Rancho Penasquitos and we deal with quite frequent helicopter noise from Miramar MCAS along with all the airplane noise generated by the base. There are a few hours late at night when we don't hear anything, but for the most part it's pretty continuous during the day. It doesn't bother me *that* much, however, as I can think of many other noises (i.e. car alarms, blaring stereos, etc.) that are far more annoying than helicopter noise.

What I wonder sometimes is where are all of these choppers and planes going and why do they fly out so many of them each day?

Old 02-28-2008, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,943 times
Default Carfree Network: Air transportation working group needed

[This was written for the carfree network, but the main point is, let's share our stories and efforts to reclaim the peace from helicopter and other noise at SD County (+ SoCal) Coalition for Peaceful Cities (http://socalpeace.blogspot.com/ - broken link) ]

I think we somehow need to expand beyond the carfree focus to address the impacts of air travel on public space.

Around the world, in urban environments in particular, but in all environments, air travel is an area of transportation INjustice / poor design that the wealthy/powerful seem to be always trying to ram down the public throat.

There is excessive helicopter use. There is the continual push to expand airports. And there is the noise, air pollution, and destruction of space associated with these.

If we could have some sort of global response to / resource center for these injustices/design failures--that would be great. Here are some local examples of the issue:[LIST][*]Google News on [URL="http://news.google.com/news?oe=utf-8&um=1&tab=wn&hl=en&q=lindbergh+airport&btnG=Searc h+News"]Lindbergh airport[/URL] (San Diego)[*]Google News on [URL="http://news.google.com/news?q=heathrow+airport&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:es-ESfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wn"]Heathrow airport[/URL] (London)[*][URL="http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2008/02/19/an-exchange-of-souls/"]Monbiot on Heathrow[/URL][*][URL="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/anatole_kaletsky/article3448667.ece"]Kaletsky on Heathrow[/URL][/LIST]I'm not sure how we frame this. It would be good to have some idea of what the nature of air travel would be and what impacts we would be willing to accept in the world we are working for--so we can channel things that way.

Here's a page I started to help address this for Southern California, SoCal Peace (http://socalpeace.blogspot.com/ - broken link). Notice that many of the highest-ranked google pages for "[URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=helicopter+noise"]helicopter noise[/URL]" come from Southern California.

Peace,
Colin

--
Contribute to the blogs, calendars, maps, photos, videos & links at
[URL="http://sdtjdph.blogspot.com/"]SD/TJ Design, Plant, Harvest:
[/URL]nourishing our shared space, caring for the commons.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:24 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Ummmm It's the SDPD looking for someone to shoot.LOL
That's a joke(but could be a fact)
It is Urban Living and not just any Urban Living it's East San Diego.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:13 AM

31 posts, read 142,954 times
You can move out to Jamul, not much happens there and the only time there are helicopters is during fire season.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
San Diego has a small physical police presence and uses the police helicopter to make up the difference. They are all over the city and we get buzzed practically daily at my house.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
When we lived in the College area, we had choppers flying overhead daily - morning, noon, night. Some were news, some were police. Sadly, we would also get the choppers flying overhead announcing a missing child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego