Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 03:34 PM

11 posts, read 40,483 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am considering a job-related move to San Diego and one of my concerns is to find a high school with good orchestra program for my daughter. We have pretty good orchestra program in our high school here (Western MI) and she is actively involved in it as well as local youth orchestra. Does anyone have experience with music programs in SD public schools and can comment on their overal quality and which ones are the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 03:48 PM

745 posts, read 1,567,734 times
I have experience with Poway schools music program. The band at Poway high was so prestigious that they wouldn't let kids with intradistrict transfers play band the first year to discourage people from transferring just to be in the band. My daughter was in the orchestra. I thought it was great. Mind you I am not a music expert so that's just a mom speaking. They played their concerts the Poway Center for the Performing Arts on the Poway High campus so they performed in a professional theater setting.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:02 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
It will depend on the school district. San Diego City Schools has been cutting programs, and some may include music. You'll just have to check with the district that you move into.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM

9 posts, read 81,592 times
I guess I'm a bit biased, but I believe the orchestra at Mira Mesa High School to be pretty wonderful. It's a small but close-knit group, and the school itself has the amazing and hard-to-find trait of being an open-arms environment for just about everyone. It's one of the more on-a-budget schools, but as of now the choral/orchestra program is safe. Plus, it definitely seems like a good school for a transfer student to come into, because it is almost guaranteed that she will find a group friends as soon as she gets there. I've visited other high schools and I've never seen another that seems as much like a family as this one does.

Sorry, I got off on a tangent. But you might consider contacting the orchestra director?

Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 AM

14 posts, read 68,321 times
Last school year, due to the financial crisis, the Terminator and other powers that be, felt it appropriate to to allow California school districts to take funds from groups such as Band Boosters and were even allowed to take grant money designated for the arts programs. Our Band Boosters were relieved of $14,000.00 that we needed for transportation, new uniforms (ours are over twenty five years old and there aren't enough to go around), enrichment camps, and competitions. We still do not know if we will recoup that money. Our marching band cannot attend away football games this year.

I taught elementary music under an arts grant last year but the program was cut halfway through the year under the "emergency" funds decree to be used for "more important" things. Last year I was VP and this year I am president of Band Boosters and we are having to scrape money together just to keep instruments in repair. Fund raising in the best of times is not easy. Trying to do so in the current economy is even more challenging, to say the least.

Our High School Principal decided not to replace an outgoing band director (without bothering to tell the parents or students) so the middle school teacher stepped up to save the program. He now works two jobs. We have an assistant to the band director whose stipend is paid out of the Band Booster's account.

The High School did not hire a new teacher, they had to cut band from the regular class line-up so that any student who wishes to continue in band must do so as a seventh period class. Students now attend school from 7:55 am until 4:45 pm and then get to come home to do homework. That's a long day for what, in my opinion, ought to be the glory days of childhood as you pass into adulthood. What do I know? I'm just a parent who would like to enjoy a little more time with my kids before they go out into the big bad world.

My point here is this:

Be sure you find out the philosophy of the school district and administrators from the elementary, middle school, and high school levels as far as music is concerned.

Do they truly have a concept of and appreciate the value of music education?

Talk to the band teachers and make contact with booster clubs members to gage the enthusiasm and dedication to the music program(s).

Don't be afraid to make phone calls and ask direct questions like:

Where do you see your music program two, three, five , or more years from now?

Will they replace a music teacher if one retires or moves away?

Is the music program growing throughout the district - from the elementary schools and up?

How is their program funded and is it budgeted for, no matter what the economic crisis?

What supplemental funding is provided?

How many fund raisers are students expected to participate in within a school year?

Do parents end up picking up the slack if their child does not bring in an expected amount per fundraiser?

What other expenses are parents expected to incur?

Is there solid community, parental, and staff support for music?

Is there a designated classroom and acoustically designed band or music room?

Does the school district award music scholarships?

Can students participate in an orchestra or other types of music productions in a work experience capacity?

How many and what events do they typically perform in a calendar school year?

Are there open lines of communication between teachers, administrators, students, and parents? Are parents regularly kept informed of changes, schedules, and opportunities? Are their ideas and suggestions valued and seriously considered or is this a rigid regime? Which do you prefer?

Also, a teacher's "glowing credentials" does not a good teacher make. Try to attend a function and observe how the band or orchestra teacher relates to students and how they relate to the teacher. Music should be fun, not a miserable ordeal to be endured under Attila the Hun.

Best of luck to you and your blossoming musician. Always keep the music in you!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,262 times
I've been attending concerts around town and went to many music festivals. The BEST High School Orchestra Program in the San Diego County is without a doubt Rancho Bernardo High School under Gary Horimoto. They have a HUGE program with over 90 kids separated into 3 class periods.

The best youth orchestra program in San Diego is the San Diego Youth Symphony. However, the current conductor Jeff Edmons has made the program very commercialized and the repertoire choices he makes is very conservative (centers heavily on Russian Romantic Blockbusters). SDYS under the late great Louis Campiglia was miles better than the current one and the music was much broader, bolder and more daring.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,855 times
Default Music department!

Hello,

Looking to relocate to Poway Rancho Bernardo area. How would I know which high school has better band ???

Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 13,127 times
Both bands are great.
I've worked with both, although I would say that Gary Horimoto at RB is the best director i'Ve ever worked under.
I went to Poway High, so there's a soft spot there.
You won't go wrong with either one

Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
If Tom Cole was still around, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you RB. My wife and I both played under him (that's how we met) and he was/is truly one of the best conductors/teachers/mentors a willing musician could have. Sadly, he retired not too long ago. I couldn't tell you who runs the program now or what state it's in. Whoever stepped in had big shoes to fill, and I hope they're up to the task. FWIW, I never played for Mr. Horimoto but did have a lot of interaction with him during my time at RB. He's a GREAT guy and, from what I hear, a great teacher as well. He's also one of my first 'drinking buddies' (hooray 18yr old drinking age laws in the UK on band trips!!! lol).

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: