Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 36,381 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

My family is moving to the San Diego area in August and I am looking for information regarding preschool programs for autistic/developmentally delayed students. Does anyone have any reccommendations or experience dealing with this issue?

Thanks
Carrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 PM

105 posts, read 299,141 times
Hi,

When we lived in California (Riverside County) 7 years ago, my son was diagnosed with autism, and we found help for him through the Regional Center, where he got in home lessons, therapy, respite care, and when he turned three, he was able to attend a preschool for special needs children. We moved to Maryland when he was four, and now we're back in SD.

I've talked to some other parents, and found out that there is a regional center in SD, so you would definitely want to start there. Also, contact the school district of the area where you'll be living in, and find out if they have a preschool program there. We were told that SD had some of the best programs for special needs children, and they have not disappointed us at all.

Good luck to you, and if you have any questions or want to pick my brain, please feel free to PM me.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 AM

250 posts, read 913,461 times
Poway has a great program and very qualified teachers. I know del mar does as well. PM me and I can give you specifics on what we had and how it was. There is also valerieslist@aol.com (email her and ask to be a part of her listserv) and ask this question there. You will get a number of people to comment with a wider base than I could. Alot of people are very happy and there are alot of people who still aren't happy even in the better districts. I think it depends on what your child needs and their functioning level. Do contact your regional center, paperwork takes a few weeks but they do offer alot of outside services beyond what the schools give.

san diego has a large autism community and everyone is very willing to help there (lots of parents/professionals/supports available. Best wishes to you.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,296 times
Smile Hello

Hi Carrie,
My name is Cristan and I have been a behavioral tutor for about 7 years now working for Carlsbad School District and also an Autism research company called CARES. I also do private tutoring/respite care in the home.
I will be off for summer durring the month of August and like to offer any help if you need. I know that moving can be somewhat stressfull!
Please contact me if I can be of any help to you durring the month or further on!
Thanks
Cristan
[EMAIL="cristan123@hotmail.com"]cristan123@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]
(760)533-2153
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego