Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 03:21 PM

25 posts, read 113,198 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
This is my first post. Well I joined City-Data to get information on the San Diego area. I have visted there before and absolutely loved it! My husband, my cousin, and I are planning on moving to San Diego in about a year to a year and a half. We want to rent an apartment/condo in the downtown area (where you can walk to everything...gaslamp, little italy, marina, or somewhere around the park). We really arent looking for a house/duplex/or other small complex. We are looking for the big city feel/a larger complex. Now I know that sounds silly, but we are from a small town in Oklahoma (dont make fun of us! lol) and we have always wanted to live in a place like that, and we arent planning on living there forever.

So does anyone know of a good place?

Our perfect place would be/have
1. in the downtown (ish) area --no really scary neighborhoods though

2. 2 bed (hopefully 2 bath!) apartment (we dont really care how many sq ft at all)

3. a place that allows dogs--this is a must!--my dogs are very small..combined weight around 20 lbs (if any of you know a place that has a dog run, some grassy areas where we could walk them on a leash, or is really close to a dog park that is a definate plus!)

4. have a washer and dryer in unit (stackable is fine)

5. have parking...we will need 2 spaces

6. be close to public transportation (i will not have my own car)

7. have 6/mo lease terms (we will be paying the entire 6 months up front)

oh & our budget isnt very high...only up to about $2200/mo at the most (including parking and pet rent)..now I know its kind of a long shot but I have found a couple of places...like Il Palazzo and Koll Center that fit most of our criteria...

Does anyone know of another place??
Any advice on the move will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 06:10 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,382,573 times
Look on Craigslist, and you may find something that meets your specifications. Most high rise condos and apartment complexes have one assigned parking place per unit. Washer and dryers aren't a guarantee, and there are dog parks for dogs. If you live downtown, you'll be on the trolley line.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:23 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,757,668 times
The 3 of you should definitely be able to find a nice 2 bed/2bath downtown for $2200 a month. Chances for getting 2 spaces are better if you are looking at the newer places.

Might wanna check out the Archstone Harborview apartments in the Marina District. My friend (female) rented a studio there for about $1300 and enjoyed living there. You'll be happy to know that there are a zillion dogs living downtown. It's definitely the accessory of choice!

Don't limit yourself to downtown, though. Check out neighboring Bankers Hill and Hillcrest, since they are both along the bus routes.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 PM

25 posts, read 113,198 times
Thanks for the advice..I have been looking on craigslist a lot, but I havent found anything new..I'll keep looking though.

Every apartment rating site I have seen warns to stay away from anything and everything archstone....has anyone else had a good or bad experience with archstone harborview??

Old 07-07-2009, 10:08 PM

I've heard that the management is not good.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,377,477 times
Well, my response got lost, but Broadway Lofts (found in various Craigslist posting) is downtown, and I visited some people with 2 dogs that lived there. It is upstairs from House of Blues. They were on 5th floor, which was still close enough to hear street noise and drunk people, so close to the ground may be noisy. This place is mainly 1 bdr though I think, so the info is for reference.

San Diego California Apartments - Home - Broadway Lofts

Santa Fe station is the main station for bus, trolley, and train at downtown, and Horton Plaza is the main mall in the area. You may wish to be close to these places. Parking is not so simple though since you may have to pay to get it, as it's probably not always part of the condo. I heard it approached 100 there now, it's pretty nice in the 70's here.

Il Palazzo looks like it's in the landing path of the airport.

Last edited by f_m; 07-07-2009 at 10:51 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 AM

Broadway Lofts are very tiny, from what I've seen. Plus the noise wouldn't be good. Someone else posted about Broadway Lofts. Apparently they contacted them, and they never responded to the inquiry.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,757,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelleSaunders View Post
Every apartment rating site I have seen warns to stay away from anything and everything archstone....has anyone else had a good or bad experience with archstone harborview??
I'm always suspect of those apartment site reviews. It seems only disgruntled people post there, sorta like here sometimes

My other friend lived at the Archstone Mission Valley property and had no complaints. They are clean and had ample parking. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego