Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:39 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,977,066 times

Advertisements

You live before 6:15 AM so that your commute will only take 25 minutes and that's a good thing?

My advice is live where you work. And once you put down roots, only select jobs that are a short drive away.

What good is a white picket fence and back yard if you only get to see it on your days off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,605,877 times
Zombie thread. Shmoov ... where's the animation ...

Old 03-24-2012, 10:28 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,282,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Zombie thread. Shmoov ... where's the animation ...

ahh right....asleep at the wheel

Queue stick figure zombie

Old 03-29-2012, 03:52 AM

90 posts, read 106,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I totally agree with you socketz! We ended up buying a house in Santaluz last year which is adjacent to RPQ and we LOVE the area. Personally, I'd rather live here than any other area in San Diego. We literally looked at houses in La Jolla, Del Mar, Carmel Valley, Rancho Santa Fe and we absolutely LOVE Santaluz and the area.

Objectively I don't think the quality of life gets much better than this in San Diego, with the possibility of maybe being on the beach front. The location is great as you aren't far from anything and we can literally be at the beaches/ocean in Del Mar in 15 minutes from our house.

I'm not in RPQ or Poway too much but both are fine areas. I prefer the location of RPQ better than Poway as I find the temperature differences are much greater between the areas.

There are literally days when I can leave my house and go to Poway and it can be 10 degrees higher in Poway. No exaggeration.

The school district is amazing in the area. Everyone that visits us is blown away by the area/development. Many are really surprised that something like this (Santaluz) exists so close to the coast.

I'd take this area over most other areas any day of the week. Most days we see hanggliders going off the side of the mountain at Little Black Mountain in RPQ and we have hot air balloons most nights above our house. It's amazing.

We absolutely love the area!
Ha!!! I grew up in Scripps Ranch when there was really nothing much north of there and then PQ when east of the I15 opposite the north end of PQ was a ranch with some cattle there. It's a great place and since it was closer to the ocean it got a lot of moderating ocean air which left it cooler than Poway.

Here's another tidbit; you could walk down into the canyons near Rolling Hills Elementary and be into scrub brush that went on for miles and miles north. The little reservoir is still there though. Heck, I remember when the only connecting road from PQ to Del Mar was a dodgy dirt road that I nearly died on several times going surfing. I miss that.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,914,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverres View Post
Hi,
I am looking for help here. We are moving from Denver to San Diego this month and are looking to buy a home. I have two kids (2 and 5) and a good school district is important to us. Even though my husband works downtown we decided on Poway/Rancho Penasquitos because of the Poway school district. I read some posts here that said Penansquitos was a bad place to move but no reasons were given. Can anyone shed some light? Also is it much hotter here? Ideally we would love to live by the coast but cannot afford to as we need a good school district and do not want to spend more than 700k on a home. How bad will our commute be to downtown?
Appreciate any feedback. It is difficult to decide sitting so far away. Any other area recommendations?

Thanks.
It's not bad at all. The houses are nice and fairly newish (late 90's to early 00's) the schools are good since it is part of Poway Unified School District though some people wrongly dislike it as the population is ~50% Asian-American. Personally, I don't see why that would matter but I guess some people are racist.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,183,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It's not bad at all. The houses are nice and fairly newish (late 90's to early 00's) the schools are good since it is part of Poway Unified School District though some people wrongly dislike it as the population is ~50% Asian-American. Personally, I don't see why that would matter but I guess some people are racist.
6 yr old thread......

Mike

Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 AM

43 posts, read 87,460 times
Default Moving to san diego this month

My family needs some advice too. I have read a few of the post, but still looking for answers. I will be working in La Jolla, but don't think we can afford the area. We don't want to spend more then 675,000. While we are looking for a home we will be staying with some friends in Rancho Penasquitos. We have read that the schools are very good in this area... This might be an option... We are hoping to buy somewhere where it does not get too hot.

We are looking for decent schools, shopping, parks, and not too far from the ocean. Thanks for any suggestions

Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocndvr View Post
My family needs some advice too. I have read a few of the post, but still looking for answers. I will be working in La Jolla, but don't think we can afford the area. We don't want to spend more then 675,000. While we are looking for a home we will be staying with some friends in Rancho Penasquitos. We have read that the schools are very good in this area... This might be an option... We are hoping to buy somewhere where it does not get too hot.

We are looking for decent schools, shopping, parks, and not too far from the ocean. Thanks for any suggestions
How long are you staying with your friends? It sounds like staying near your friends might be the best option based on budget, job and schools. But there are a few regular posters that are n this area and could be more specific.

What do your friends think that live here?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 AM

43 posts, read 87,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
How long are you staying with your friends? It sounds like staying near your friends might be the best option based on budget, job and schools. But there are a few regular posters that are n this area and could be more specific.

What do your friends think that live here?
We can stay as long as we wish, or that is what they have told us, but we don’t want to overstay our welcome, so hopefully we can find a home quick. We have three children, and they have two, so if might get crowded fast. We stayed with them for a few days a while back the weather was very nice. What about La Mesa, or Carlsbad?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocndvr View Post
We can stay as long as we wish, or that is what they have told us, but we don’t want to overstay our welcome, so hopefully we can find a home quick. We have three children, and they have two, so if might get crowded fast. We stayed with them for a few days a while back the weather was very nice. What about La Mesa, or Carlsbad?
Wow, just curious how you came up with those two cities? Two different worlds between Carlsbad and La Mesa. I have heard nothing but good things about Carlsbad from a family lifestyle point of view. I live near La Mesa and while we like it, its not 'coastal' San Diego like Carslbad is and a lot of the reason why people move here.
While there is an older Carlsbad, all of La Mesa except one development called Serramar off the 94 is older and more established generally speaking.

Basically the main differences between new Carlsbad and La Mesa will be housing stock. If you like the idea of having a larger lot and no HOAs, the La Mesa is more likely your choice.
But really, you have to see for youself between what you get in HOA communities vs non.

If you are unfamiliar with HOA living, for us, it was a shock when we did the house tour in all areas of the county. Because in the northeast (NY/NJ) finding the gated communities like you get out here are few and far between unless you go to eastern PA or areas where they built like crazy in the last housing boom.

I cant say anything about the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego