Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,606 times

Advertisements

I lived there for a brief time but took my kids out of the school district when I learned of a particular problem. Maybe not a problem for you but you may want to read this:

[URL]http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/education/20080909-1326-bn09banners.html[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:27 PM

19 posts, read 96,728 times
PQ is a good affordable choice if you wish your children to go to schools under the PUSD. This would be a smart move for the middle class families. Poway is an excellent choice also if you don't mind the heat in the summer.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,050 times
I graduated from Westview high school this year with a 4.0 GPA, and was ranked %15 in my class, which is ridiculous. The PUSD school system is absolutely the best school system if you are looking for academic results, and they routinely send kids to Harvard, MIT, as well as Berkeley and UCLA in the dozens.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:13 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,545,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housebroken View Post
I lived there for a brief time but took my kids out of the school district when I learned of a particular problem. Maybe not a problem for you but you may want to read this:

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Education -- Judge rules for teacher in classroom banners case
Thanks for sharing this. It is so nice to see someone respectfully offer their perspective, while understanding that not everyone may share that perspective. Well done!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,506 times
Broken link to the article...
here is the new link San Diego Magazine - July 2006 - San Diego, California
if people would like to read/verify it

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/medi...zine/July-2006

Last edited by asimthakker; 08-20-2010 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: link did not show correctly

Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,433 times
Default Rancho Penasquitos is a GREAT Place to Live

Hello. I have lived in the Rancho Penasquitos area for almost 10 years now and can tell you it is one of the best places you can live in the San Diego area for a number of reasons. It is centrally located, it is a great place to raise kids - good schools, good community involvement with sports, schools and social activities. 50% of PQ is designated park space (very unusual in So Cal) and the home prices are very reasonable compared to other areas ($700k will go far). [mod]No advertising.[/mod]

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverres View Post
Hi,
I am looking for help here. We are moving from Denver to San Diego this month and are looking to buy a home. I have two kids (2 and 5) and a good school district is important to us. Even though my husband works downtown we decided on Poway/Rancho Penasquitos because of the Poway school district. I read some posts here that said Penansquitos was a bad place to move but no reasons were given. Can anyone shed some light? Also is it much hotter here? Ideally we would love to live by the coast but cannot afford to as we need a good school district and do not want to spend more than 700k on a home. How bad will our commute be to downtown?
Appreciate any feedback. It is difficult to decide sitting so far away. Any other area recommendations?

Thanks.

Last edited by JustJulia; 02-20-2011 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: No advertising.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:09 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverres View Post
Hi,
I am looking for help here. We are moving from Denver to San Diego this month and are looking to buy a home. I have two kids (2 and 5) and a good school district is important to us. Even though my husband works downtown we decided on Poway/Rancho Penasquitos because of the Poway school district. I read some posts here that said Penansquitos was a bad place to move but no reasons were given.
If I had to guess based on the information given then my guess would be racism. The truth is the housing stock is very nice in PQ (built in the 80's and 90's), it's almost entirely owner occupied, and the schools are great. The population is about 50% Asian-American so some people think if everyone isn't white then it is a bad neighborhood but the truth is Asians are great people just like everyone else so look beyond ethnicity.

The neighborhood has almost no crime and great schools and the only thing I can think to say bad about it is that it's typical suburbia even though there is a lot of open space and parks for families there isn't any night life or exciting restaurants. The good news is you're a short drive away from all that if that's what you're looking for.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,202 times
Just for the record RB and CMR are also considered San Diego!! Poway def has some shady areas if not more than PQ.. All the Poway Unified Schools are awsome.. Its just a pride thing, everyone thinks their area is better than the other!! RB and CMR are very over priced for what you can get. Poway and PQ run about the same!! Just like anywhere you live whether it be Cali or another state very city has its own crowd of no good!!

Old 02-19-2011, 05:09 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,325,190 times
PQ is fine. It has a large Asian community so the only reason I can think of that someone would bad mouth it is because they're racist but the reality is the neighborhood was built in the late 80's to early 90's, the schools are pretty good, and the community is clean with no crime problems. It is suburbia but then again so is Poway so there is no differences there; PQ is slightly to the west of Poway though so in the summer time it can be 5-10 degrees cooler.

Edit: Ha Ha. I didn't notice I had already responded to this thread.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,390,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
"It's clean, suburban dullsville with sterile crackerbox housing and soccer moms galore."

My favorite kind of places. Little to no crime to speak of, all the shopping you'd ever need, 10 mins from Del Mar/Beach, best schools in San Diego and other friendly boring people that watch your back and keep your hood a desirable place to live.

Yep, boring rocks.

I totally agree with you socketz! We ended up buying a house in Santaluz last year which is adjacent to RPQ and we LOVE the area. Personally, I'd rather live here than any other area in San Diego. We literally looked at houses in La Jolla, Del Mar, Carmel Valley, Rancho Santa Fe and we absolutely LOVE Santaluz and the area.

Objectively I don't think the quality of life gets much better than this in San Diego, with the possibility of maybe being on the beach front. The location is great as you aren't far from anything and we can literally be at the beaches/ocean in Del Mar in 15 minutes from our house.

I'm not in RPQ or Poway too much but both are fine areas. I prefer the location of RPQ better than Poway as I find the temperature differences are much greater between the areas.

There are literally days when I can leave my house and go to Poway and it can be 10 degrees higher in Poway. No exaggeration.

The school district is amazing in the area. Everyone that visits us is blown away by the area/development. Many are really surprised that something like this (Santaluz) exists so close to the coast.

I'd take this area over most other areas any day of the week. Most days we see hanggliders going off the side of the mountain at Little Black Mountain in RPQ and we have hot air balloons most nights above our house. It's amazing.

We absolutely love the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego