Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2006, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,495 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband and I, and our two kids (2.5 and 4.5) are moving from Berkeley to San Diego this winter. I have been reading the questions and answers on your site, and am already very grateful for all the information.

I have a few specific question that I wonder if anyone can shed light on:

1. My husband is completing his Doctorate here, and has accepted a post doc position in UCSD. I hear the commute is pretty bad during traffic (I'm told 45-60 min). which hours are rush hours?

2. We saw a few houses online that would work beautifully for our family in Via Del Sud, some of them have been on craigslist for a while, and since we are going to fly over just for this, I thought it would be wise to check with you guys first. Is there anything "wrong" with that area? It looks so beautiful! is it too close to highway noise? considered less safe? Development anticipated in the next couple of years all around? anything?...

3. How essential is it to have an AC?

4. How is the daycare situation in penasquitos? Any recommendations, ideas or info would be great.

Thank you!!!

Reut.

reutsh@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2006, 10:16 PM

469 posts, read 2,341,796 times
1. Rush hour ais from 7am-10a and then again from 3:30pm-7pm. Unlesss your husband is a professional cyclist and has a death wish do not ride a bike in the La Jolla area, it's suicide.

2. I don't know Via Del Sud in particular but there are pockets of good and not so good in any area, always go check it out just in case!

3. A/C is really nice to have in Rancho Pen but not a necessity (unless this past summer's freakish heat becomes a re-occuring trend, pray that it doesn't!)

4. Day care in all of San Diego is difficult to find openings for, there is an extreme shortage. My daughter was on 5 waiting lists when we first started looking when she turned 2. Your children are old enough that it's not impossible though, infants are the hardest to find space for. You may find that there are better day care centers nearer to your husband's work than your home. Many are geared toward the UCSD professionals. Have your husband ask the people he will be working with also, word of mouth recommendations are always great.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:42 PM

360 posts, read 1,532,693 times
Default info on Via del Sud, etc.

Hi. I live in N. Penasquitos (about 3 mi. North of Via del Sud area), but I did look at homes on Via del Sud back in 1992 when I bought. Generally the homes are older (late 60s/early 70s) tract homes of average quality. That area was one of the 1st in PQ to be developed, so there won't be anything new going in, as it's long been built out. Penasquitos Blvd., the access road to the freeway, is heavily traveled, and you may get some noise, but that's normal for anywhere in PQ. You don't need AC but for about 7-10 days/year. I don't have it, and it usually isn't a problem. The commute to/from UCSD will not be fun, but now that hwy 56 has opened, that should help. The whole area around UCSD and UTC is a congested nightmare whenever I'm there (which is rare because I avoid it!). My next door neighbor runs day care out of her home; small operation with only 6-8 kids. If you end up here, I can email you her name & number.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 14,458 times
I live in Rancho Penasquitos by Ridgewood Park and my husband works at UCSD. His commute is not too bad but it helps if you can vary your hours slightly to miss the big rush. It is on average 20-30 minutes and there are 3 ways you can go to get there. We love Penasquitos. It is very kid friendly here but I don't know the day care situation yet since we just had our first (3 months old). I'm looking into it myself. AC is not necessary especially if you live west of Black Mountain. We get some nice breezes from the Ocean but we do occassionally use our AC during July/Aug time frame.

Good luck with the move. I think you'll like it here.
Kim

Old 10-29-2007, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 14,458 times
Can you email me her name and number? I live in Penasquitos and am looking for daycare for my baby. He will be 6 months old when we put him in daycare. My email is kkonotchick@yahoo.com

Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,793 times
HI. I recently moved to PQ back in september from the east coast. I have been able to make it thus far, but things are starting to get a little difficult being that I have absolutely no family or help here. I have been looking for a local sitter, close to home, close to school. My daughter is 10 years old. Does your neighbor still have slots open? My email is dioriolilian@gmail.com

Last edited by lili_dee; 01-19-2011 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
... That area was one of the 1st in PQ to be developed, so there won't be anything new going in, as it's long been built out. ...
Not entirely built out. There's empty space along a street that leads from the end of Avenida Grande (up the hill from Del Sud) over the top of the hill to the condos on Azuaga. I believe Pardee owns that land. I don't think it'll get developed soon, but it is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego