Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 PM

119 posts, read 316,808 times

Advertisements

Hi - I have another post, but I was hoping to get specific info about the Gaslamp area. We are thinking of moving there. Has anyone lived there before? I am hoping to check out the following properties:
-Allegro Towers
-Broadway Lofts
-Market Street Village
-The Lofts at 707

Are any of these better than the others - am I missing any properties that might be better?

How close is the downtown farmers market to the Gaslamp area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:30 PM

195 posts, read 972,780 times
There is a farmers market IN the Gaslamp on Sundays... don't know what time though, but I do know that its walking distance from Horton plaza.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM

119 posts, read 316,808 times
Perfect! Thanks again.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Market Street Village is in a really bad neighborhood. You have homeless people everywhere. I used to live in that area, and would come out in the morning to go to work, and discover that someone had taken a dump next to my driver's side door.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Allegro Towers is more Little Italy than the Gaslamp. It's a highrise that faces the bay so that might be nice. Little Italy also has a Farmer's Market, which is better than the one in the Gaslamp, IMO.

Broadway Lofts is in a refurbished building I believe and looks prety cool. Lofts at 707 are new and in the East Village. Are you a male or female? East Village is grittier than both Little Italy and the Gaslamp, but I don't think it's dangerous, especially if you are a male.

Market Street Village has a full service supermarket at street level and is in the East Village, as well. Again, not dangerous, but it will have the most homeless people milling around.

Check out the properties in the Marina District (closer to Seaport Village) , too. A girl friend from DC used to live there and loved it.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 PM

The East Village is still really crummy, and will be for a while. I recommend living elsewhere.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,576,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The East Village is still really crummy, and will be for a while. I recommend living elsewhere.
I agree.Really rough and not much "good" going on

Old 05-28-2009, 10:30 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I disagree. I have friends who live (own) at Fahrenheit and M2I in East Village and it's not crummy at all. The Thomas Jefferson School of Law is being built now and will only make the area better.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:23 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,974 times
My wife and I lived in the Gas Lamp for a few months. It was OK for awhile.

Parking is atrocious. We stayed at the J Street Inn and enjoyed our walks to World Market for things. Otherwise, the food is bad in downtown San Diego. Much better ethnic food to be found along El Cajon Blvd.

Bassam Cafe and Cafe Lulu were a few personal highlights, otherwise, there's kind of a fake, Disney-like urbanity there in the Gas Lamp environs. I lived it and that's what I felt. But if you don't think too deeply about the context of things, then I think you'll enjoy it.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:07 PM

The East Village is being revitalized, but it's not happening overnight. Yes, the TJ School of Law will make things better, but it's nowhere near finished yet. The crummy part of the EV is the part across from Albertsons, on 16th Street, and around the areas where the constructions is going on. Try taking a walk or ride in the area some evening. Drive around all the side streets, and see all the people camped out on the sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego