Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 02:13 AM

241 posts, read 715,597 times

Advertisements

Feb 9-12.

There are so many hotels to choose from in this district.

I have never been to SD before and am looking for a hotel with a great rooftop pool and a great rooftop lounge/bar with a great view to relax at during the trip.

I have read really bad things about the noise at the Andaz.

I have read varying things about the train noise at the Hilton.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 02:49 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,490,283 times
I have stayed at a bunch of Gaslamp area hotels as I travel to San Diego for Business weekly and often overnight there.

I have heard good things about the Marriott Gaslamp and I know it has a high/top floor bar/night club. I only stayed there once and it was too brief a visit to form a solid opinion on the property, but some coworkers stayed there and really liked it.

There are two hiltons, the Gaslamp (roight by the train) and the newer Bayfront which is across the street from the gaslamp just at the south end of the convention center I stay at the Bayfront all the time. Neither the pool nor bar are roof top, but it is a nice new propert. There is a surprisngly good restaurant (Aqua-something or other) and a nice 2nd floor lobby bar right on the water (Outdoor/balcony seating is available). Nice pool on the waterfront with a big screen TV.

The Marriott Marina is on the the north side of the convention center on the water as well next to the Hyatt. Both of these a great properties. One tower of the marriott is older and not fully rennovated ( I think its the north tower - but check tripadvisor.com to be sure). Again no roof top bar, but right on the water with a nice pool and a Roy's restaurant on property. The Hyatt is next store. I have'nt been there in a decade, but have always heard very good things about it. It also has a high floor bar/club, not sure about the pool.

The Omni next to Petco Park has a roof bar, but is right next to the train tracks. BTW,about that train, only one or two loud frieght trains goes through downtown, usually before 11 pm. The rest of the traffic is Trolley's you wuld barely notice unless your next to the tracks on a low floor. Its also next to the Hard Rock Hotel (never stayed there) which has a great restaurant (NOBU) and a couple good night clubs/bars (so I hear, I'm not a bar/club guy myself but whenever I go to NOBU their are always lines and I've heard good things from younger folks at work about them)

BTW - you should manage your expectations about the weather. February in SD can be cold by CA standards - 50's and 60's. And right by the water you can knock another 5-7 degrees off that. Plus we are having a very wet winter this year. So I would'nt let the presence of an outdoor bar or pool drive your hotel choice. You may not be able to use either of them.

I hope the weather delivers for you and you Enjoy your trip!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:29 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,342,146 times
Hard Rock! There's a lounge and pool on the roof.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:20 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,412,287 times
The Hard Rock is great, if you're looking for a big hotel - and the pool area is beautiful.

But my favorite hotel with a rooftop pool/bar is Hotel Solamar - it's beyond fabulous! Best of San Diego, in my opinion. The photos on their website don't do it justice, it's much more impressive in person! Especially at night, up on that roof, by the pool... San Diego Gaslamp Quarter Hotel - Luxury Hotel Solamar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego