Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:35 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,993,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghall00 View Post
I think city should charge for trash pickup. It's really silly that the city provides the service and doesn't charge for it. What other free services does the city provide?

The city also needs to get pension benefits under control before it ends up like GM.
Here is a 2007 KPBS article and video (http://www.kpbs.org/tv/full_focus;id=8142 - broken link) about San Diego's Free Trash Pickup.

I agree that San Diego should begin to charge for trash collection if we are facing budget deficits that can not be remedied through other cuts.

Maintaining a city ordinance from nearly 100 years ago (1919) is wrong. The city needs to update laws to reflect the situation for the current time period ... not for 100 years ago.

The city was also much smaller 100 years ago. Areas like Clairemont, Linda Vista, and Mission Valley weren't even developed until the late 1950's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:30 AM

50,412 posts, read 47,145,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
I have seen the make up of public schools, my children attended them until this year when we moved back East. I was very pleased with the job the teachers did on a small budget but we were in Poway school district.

Come volunteer at a school here in the City. NCLB and ESL students clash immensely. The Teachers do the best they can but when you combine those two things there are going to be huge problems.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghall00 View Post
I think city should charge for trash pickup. It's really silly that the city provides the service and doesn't charge for it. What other free services does the city provide?

The city also needs to get pension benefits under control before it ends up like GM.
Does anyone really think a "trash fee" is the magic bullet? The Pension system is eating up a much larger % of the general fund than any trash fee is going to fix.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:33 PM

786 posts, read 3,927,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Come volunteer at a school here in the City. NCLB and ESL students clash immensely. The Teachers do the best they can but when you combine those two things there are going to be huge problems.
I totally agree with you, that's why I said it is a reflection of not valuing children and education. The schools in Poway are so good in large part due to parent volunteers and monetary donations which I know just aren't there in the city. I'd love to come help out but I'm back East now (freezing btw).

Old 11-23-2008, 12:37 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,501,156 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you, that's why I said it is a reflection of not valuing children and education. The schools in Poway are so good in large part due to parent volunteers and monetary donations which I know just aren't there in the city. I'd love to come help out but I'm back East now (freezing btw).
PUSD residents have repeatedly voted to increase their parcel assessments for that district. Good luck getting the rest of the county to go that way.

Anyone see this today?
SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Metro -- Fire-prone, tax-wary

this county is nuts.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Down to 68 today

Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,696,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
PUSD residents have repeatedly voted to increase their parcel assessments for that district. Good luck getting the rest of the county to go that way.

Anyone see this today?
SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Metro -- Fire-prone, tax-wary

this county is nuts.

I could not believe that article when I saw it, I got me pretty damn mad! I cannot believe these people in East County. They CHOOSE to live in a very dangerous area, have experianced two CATASTROPHIC wildfires in the last 4 years, and now vote against additional fire protection and expect everyone in the city or along the coast to pay for it. And this is additional to suing SDGE for causing last years fire then getting all upset when they unveil a plan to prevent a power line sparked fire by cutting the power! It is absolutely unbelievable, honestly let those East County communities burn to the ground next time, just create a firebreak at the 15 and let everything east of it burn.

Hey apparently in East County they have discovered the secret to a free lunch and having cake and being able to eat it too!!

I really want to go off on some long rant about East County and its residents but I'll save the forum from those generalizations and stereotypes.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Some of those parcels have had the building burned to the ground 2 or 3 times. The tax payers shouldn't be on the hook after the second time. If they can't get insurance and it won't cover it........TOO BAD. Live in the City like everyone else.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:55 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,993,150 times
Talking Libraries are saved!!!

Libraries are saved !!!

(for now)

See this article:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...-bn24cuts.html

Old 11-25-2008, 11:21 AM

I really can't take that as good news as the deficit just keeps getting bigger. I've afraid it's just going to prolong it.

This is Sander's idea of strong Mayor? Just sit back and watch it get bigger? This is tough choice time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego