Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,657 times

Advertisements

My husband is dying to move us to San Diego this upcoming summer. He was born there and feels extremely connected and passionate about moving out there. I, on the other hand, am not so passionate. We are from Wisconsin. I've lived here my whole life. I love the changes of season. I love cold weather, the leaves that turn colors in the fall, the woodsy areas... I even love snow! Towards the end of the winter I get sick of it, but for the most part, I like living here. My family is here and so are my friends. I can't imagine having Christmas without snow or Halloween without the smell of the leaves and the crisp air!

I do, however, understand that it is much more than just a move of excitement for my husband. He wants our son (14 months) to have a better place to grow up. He wants new opportunities. He feels he's hit a dead end here and looks forward to job opportunities there.

I'm not totally against the move, I hate to be someone that lives in only one city her whole life, because she was afraid to leave. I want a new experience, too. I also would like to have somewhere nice for my son to grow up and have lots of different things for us to do recreation-wise. WI is lacking there... no Seaworld, no ocean, no theme parks...

So what do you think? Tell me why I will fall in love with San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 PM

12 posts, read 20,280 times
Default Go there and you will see!

Hello there. All you have to do is spend some time there and you will understand why San Diego is a great city. I grew up there and sure it does have it's problems but the positives way outweigh the negatives! Infact I am in the process of moving my family back there next summer! Damn I miss my home town!!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
If you want more seasonal weather with cold and snow you could live in the mountains around the town of Julian. It's about 4,200 feet up so it gets more of that 4 seasons type weather with occasional snow. Or if you live in the city the mountains are about 45-60 min away and ski resorts about 2.5 hours away. SD is a great city with a good quality of life for the most part; low crime, great weather, lots of recreational activities year round, etc.... and its close to a lot of other great weekend getaways like LA, Orange County, Big Bear for skiing, deserts, Northern CA...

Old 10-15-2008, 12:35 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,764 times
I am too busy enjoying myself in San Diego to try to convince you that you would also enjoy yourself in San Diego. Just kidding!

Well... for starters, the weather is really lovely here. Every day is so lovely. The sun shines, and if you live in the right places it doesn't get too hot. There is this lovely breeze that blows over your skin.

Most nights, the sky is so clear you can see all the twinkling stars... the night has a very sacred feeling.

The people here are so nice, they usually say hi and smile at you. When you need help, they stop to help you.

And you can't forget about the beach.... La Jolla Shores-- simply beautiful. During certain months, it is like paradise.

At night, take a stroll along on the sand on the beach. Swing on a swing set while looking out at the sea. It feels safe and serene.

In my neighborhood, the kids play outside. Parents don't need to worry about keeping their kids locked up. There is so much room to roam.

People play soccer in the park and people walk their dogs. Some people ride bikes and Rollerblade.

And then on a Saturday night, head downtown to Dizzy's for some soulful jazz music. Or how about Little Italy for an authentic Italian dinner with an excellent glass of wine.

Then at the end of it all, you will think to yourself how a fairly big city like San Diego can still stay so pure.

What I wrote may sound corny, but it's true.

The San Diego Turtle Blog (http://www.sandiegoturtle.blogspot.com - broken link) - featuring videos of places in San Diego

Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 AM

786 posts, read 3,924,533 times
We lived in San Diego for 3 years and I never got over missing the change in seasons, so much so that I found my husband a job in Connecticut so we could move back! The weather is beautiful of course, but it just didn't feel like Christmas when it is sunny and 72 degrees outside. Some people like that but I found it depressing. The cost of living will be a huge difference compared to Wisconsin.

On the positive side, San Diego is a beautiful city and there is a lot to enjoy year round that most people only dream of visiting on vacation. The people are friendly. I loved my neighborhood and community. I think if I had grown up there and had family there I would never want to leave. Best wishes in your decision!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:07 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
The best part is calling everyone while watching the Super Bowl and asking them what the weather is doing back East ha ha The last few years it's been around 90 on that day.

You can be in snow within an hour and then come home and hit the beach for some waves. We've still got winter (and the forest) out here you just drive up to it like going out to dinner We'll be driving up to Nate's butt farm to get pumpkins with the kids in a week.

No nasty bugs, no hail, no pyscho crazy blizzards, no driving on black ice, no below zero temps. What's not to like?

Oh ya, the price of housing

From the UT, Mt Laguna

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080218/images/met-laguna280.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-15-2008, 01:29 PM

210 posts, read 498,821 times
San Diego has positive and negative sides as any city does. I am not so sure that it is the best place for children. You have a 14 months old son, and family in Wisconsin. My opinion, it is very important for your child to have family around him, much more important than ocean near by. if you stay home with him, than your husband has to earn pretty good money to live here. If you put your baby in a daycare, be prepared to pay a lots of money. Be prepared for crazy traffic all the time, price of gasoline, food and everything else. This summer was very hot. It is October and we had weeks of 90F and above. In addition to it, fires, dry Santa Ana winds.

We have been here for more than 14 years, and miss seasons, woods, fresh air. We live in a near ocean community and I make very good money, but you ll spend a long time in traffic. We bike and hike and to do so have to drive an hour or two to get out of city. City is bankrupt with a huge budget deficit, border violence and many illegals. It is mostly a safe city, but it has some specific problems due to proximity to the border. Schools are very bad with few exceptions. Recent stats said that more than 50% of children in schools have latino backround. If you want to get into good ones, you have to live around, which will cost you arm and leg. I repeat, I make a very good money and live in an exclusive part of the city. Of course, it depends what your husband will do here, but salaries overall are low. ocean and sunshine are good, but you have to pay bills and live here more often than you enjoy ocean and sunshine. In addition to it, as most of California, people tend to be a little show off, flashy with money, into fashion and spending, mall/spending culture, cars, things, status driven divisions, some areas are pretty snobish. Sorry if I sounded pretty harsh. I strongly believe that the availability of extended family around your baby will get him much more in life than illusive opportunity in San Diego. We are both from Europe and I would give up a lot to have my brother and his family, my parents and my friends visiting us on weekends. Just remember that majority of Americans live outside of California and they do have opportunities. All I am saying, of course, it is up to you, but think twice before you go.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,878 times
I think if you need to "sold" on any city, then maybe it's a mistake to move. All of the negatives will bother you, and you won't be able to appreciate all the positives because you'll be missing family, winter weather during Christmas, and a home that's affordable. There is a lot to love about this city, but home is where your heart is. My heart lives in Texas, and it sounds like yours is in Wisconsin. Vacationing here is fantastic. Maybe make a deal that the extra money you would have to put toward housing here go toward a vacation fund instead, and you guys can visit once or twice every year. You'll get to enjoy all that SD has to offer minus the downsides. That's a deal I wish I'd made 7 years ago . Good luck in your decision!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,764 times
I agree with the previous poster that home is where your heart is. That is why I moved back to California.

Actually, I was in a situation similar to yours. My partner and I were trying to move back to California, but to San Francisco. He applied to jobs up there, even had a couple of interviews. He also applied to San Diego as a hedge. But I was dismayed when I found out he did. I wanted us to focus only on moving to San Francisco, a place we both wanted to move to for a long time. At that time I had only visited San Diego 2 times, and both times I wasn't impressed. He ended up getting an interview and then a really good offer from a company in San Diego, which was better than the offer he got from the company in San Francisco-- but SF was where we really wanted to be. In the end, it turns out his career was more important than city to live in this dilemma and I didn't want to be one to hold him back so we chose San Diego. It was a difficult time, we even flew out for a pre-decision trip to get a current feel for the area, and I still wasn't impressed and was immensely unhappy. But we moved out here anyhow and at first it was really hard on me-- I became depressed and unhappy, unmotivated, and irritable at my partner. I even felt bitterness towards him. We had a hard time adjusting, he said he felt "depressed" a lot too from the city. Now it has been 9 months, and ever since a few months ago, San Diego has really grown on us. I still see it's shortcomings, but I am finding things I like about it. We took a trip to SF recently, and I saw how that place has really gone down in the past few years and was so glad we ended up San Diego after all. San Diego appears to be changing for the better in front of our eyes. And I am starting to feel like I could stay here forever. This place is truly special, I just couldn't see it before. I can say, now, I feel such a calm and happiness in where I am living that I haven't had before and each day it just gets better. Life in Los Angeles was fun but lacking in quality-- 2-4 hours in traffic daily is not really living. And NYC was just too fast-paced and ridiculously expensive (and dangerous! my partner got threatended with a knife on a bus) although that place is amazing in other ways. I am sharing my story with hopes it also gives you some insight.

We don't have any children ourselves, but San Diego (at least North County/North Inland County) is a great place to raise kids. Sometimes I feel like I am living in a giant baby-raising plantation. Haha

Old 10-16-2008, 06:55 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,806 times
^^^

it definately takes most transplants (not all, some are in love w/San Diego immediately) time to adapt. My dh is from the PNW (Portland/Seattle) and he didn't like San Diego at first. He complained that it was too dry, not enough trees, he missed the rain, etc...

What a difference a year makes. Now you couldn't get him to move back there. He would never do it in a million years even though I've suggested it. A couple winters ago we went back and he was so miserable w/ the horrible freezing rain and pumping gas w/sheets of cold ice rain running down his back. We had to pull off the freeway to stay the night at a lousy motel during our trip because the roads were so dangerous. He's also noticed that people are more friendly and laid back here. He loves the sunshine and lifestyle San Diego affords and says we can "visit the seasons" if the kids want snow or fall leaves. And, like another poster mentioned, you can always drive up to the snow and rent a cabin at Big Bear. A couple days of chains on tires, snowy roads and frozen toes and fingers from snowball fighting, sledding and building snowmen and then the kids are good till next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego