Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 8,844 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've been browsing through these forums for the past few months and taking a lot of notes. My husband and I are thinking of moving to San Diego from New York within a few months. We are in our early 30's. Before we make our final decision, my husband wants to visit San Diego one last time. I'm sold on it, but he's a bit more hesitant.

So, my big question is, where can I take him that well "sell" him on moving to San Diego? We will be there for 5 days! He loves scenic views, parks (smaller town parks vs. state parks), quiet remote spots, beaches...

Also, it's important to him to find a good place for (new york style) pizza as well as a bagel place Any really good Italian places?

We'll be renting and our max is $1500/month. After perusing these boards, I've narrowed it down to the following:
Pacific Beach, Golden Hill, Solana Beach, Mission Valley, Hillcrest, North/South Park, Parkwest/Bankers Hill, Normal Heights, Coronado, Ocean Beach, University Heights, Mission Hills.

I want to take him to a few walkable neighborhoods... and by walkable I mean, a town center with a few blocks of stores, restaurants, people out and about, like South Park I guess.

Also, where are the music venues/clubs?

Any responses on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 PM

15,150 posts, read 32,578,044 times
Where will you be working?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 PM

18,985 posts, read 32,930,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterafterhours View Post
So, my big question is, where can I take him that well "sell" him on moving to San Diego? We will be there for 5 days! He loves scenic views, parks (smaller town parks vs. state parks), quiet remote spots, beaches...
-Torrey Pines State Park
-Balboa Park
-Windansea Beach
-La Jolla Cove
-Mt Soledad (great views)
-Cabrillo National Monument (amazing views)
-Scripps Coastal Reserve by UCSD (great views, it's a bit hard to find though. Take La Jolla Shores Blvd and turn on La Jolla Farms Rd and there will be a gate on your left soon after you make the turn, it's behind the gate.)

Also browse the SD Photo Thread if you haven't yet, lots of good pics and ideas for great spots in there.

Here are some of my personal pics of some of these spots, some are from my phone so excuse the quality.

Windansea Beach:

This was taken near the Cabrillo National Monument:

Scripps Coastal Reserve by UCSD:

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,636,862 times
Best romantic view on a budget: Sunset Cliffs at sunset

Here's a map with comments: Sunset Cliffs - Ocean Beach - San Diego, CA

Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Where will you be working?
South of the Marine Corps Corps Air Station on Copley Drive... Near Clairemont.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
-Torrey Pines State Park
-Balboa Park
-Windansea Beach
-La Jolla Cove
-Mt Soledad (great views)
-Cabrillo National Monument (amazing views)
-Scripps Coastal Reserve by UCSD (great views, it's a bit hard to find though. Take La Jolla Shores Blvd and turn on La Jolla Farms Rd and there will be a gate on your left soon after you make the turn, it's behind the gate.)

Also browse the SD Photo Thread if you haven't yet, lots of good pics and ideas for great spots in there.

Here are some of my personal pics of some of these spots, some are from my phone so excuse the quality.

Windansea Beach:

This was taken near the Cabrillo National Monument:

Scripps Coastal Reserve by UCSD:
Thanks! I jotted these down and went through all of the SD photo thread. Much appreciated.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:34 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,906,573 times
I'd suggest driving up the coast from Del Mar to Leucadia, Take 5N to Carmel Valley Road (West toward the ocean) or Del Mar Heights Rd...at the end turn right which takes you into Del Mar and drive thru Del Mar, Solana Beach, Cardiff, Encinitas...it's ocean view most of the way and you can get out and walk around all those great towns. Stop by Cardiff Market in Cardiff and you'll get a real feel for beach town life...it's a great little market.

If that doesn't sell him, I don't know what will

Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,329,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterafterhours View Post
Hi All,

I've been browsing through these forums for the past few months and taking a lot of notes. My husband and I are thinking of moving to San Diego from New York within a few months. We are in our early 30's. Before we make our final decision, my husband wants to visit San Diego one last time. I'm sold on it, but he's a bit more hesitant.

Also, it's important to him to find a good place for (new york style) pizza as well as a bagel place Any really good Italian places?

We'll be renting and our max is $1500/month. After perusing these boards, I've narrowed it down to the following:
Pacific Beach, Golden Hill, Solana Beach, Mission Valley, Hillcrest, North/South Park, Parkwest/Bankers Hill, Normal Heights, Coronado, Ocean Beach, University Heights, Mission Hills.

I want to take him to a few walkable neighborhoods... and by walkable I mean, a town center with a few blocks of stores, restaurants, people out and about, like South Park I guess.

Also, where are the music venues/clubs?

Any responses on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much!
Might want to try another area for walk ability in regards to shops and restaurants besides South Park. Its not that South Park is bad, its just residential, so the people out and about might be minimal unless you went on a weekend.
Generally speaking, there are 2 areas within South Park to hang out (south, South Park near Golden Hill and north South park on closer to North Park) both of them are great and serve the locals well. However, I am not so sure this is an area that would "wow" someone, but they are chill. If he likes beer or you both do, go to Hamiltons in south South Park or The Whistle Stop in north South Park really laid back and nice beer selections.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,260,120 times
ill 2nd wind and sea beach. its pretty amazing there. tranquil. soooo.....how about this. I'll be your husband. im sold.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,886,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I'd suggest driving up the coast from Del Mar to Leucadia, Take 5N to Carmel Valley Road (West toward the ocean) or Del Mar Heights Rd...at the end turn right which takes you into Del Mar and drive thru Del Mar, Solana Beach, Cardiff, Encinitas...it's ocean view most of the way and you can get out and walk around all those great towns. Stop by Cardiff Market in Cardiff and you'll get a real feel for beach town life...it's a great little market.

If that doesn't sell him, I don't know what will
Dang, after reading this I'm ready to move here, and I already live here! I agree 100% by the way. It's a great corner of San Diego that many people don't know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego