Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:39 AM

32 posts, read 163,544 times

Advertisements

We currently live in West Marin (near Pt Reyes) approx 30 miles north of San Francisco and the Golden Gate. We're from Hawaii and although it's beautiful here (stunning redwood trees and mountains) we really miss the ocean life, warmer water, walking on the beach (and not freezing), boating and surfing. We're considering the beach communities north of San Diego becuase they're less crowded (1.2 m people in SD is a bit daunting for us!)

Looking for recommendations for a beach community to live in and raise our almost 1 yr old daughter (access to montessori school). In addition to above, we enjoy having access to the typical California "granola" way of life (organic foods, progressive forward thinking, recycle, etc.)

Thanks for any recommendations!

Last edited by dawneel; 06-30-2008 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: added context
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 12:58 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
The most "granola" like NC beach community I think would be Encinitas. Although you won't find the same level of progressiveness as you might in Marin County or other parts of the Bay Area. Aside from the granola factor, La Jolla and Del Mar tend to be the best and most expensive beach communities in North County. Carlsbad and Solana Beach are all good to. Coronado is pretty upscale but not granola really and it's in central SD but isolated for the most part.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:14 PM

812 posts, read 4,084,210 times
Overall, nothing's going to be quite like Marin, which although progressive, is still quite fancy and monied... some of the beach communities that have the earthy vibe do so at the expense of fanciness (Ocean Beach), but you'll be able to find both in places more like Del Mar and La Jolla which definitely have that element... but be forewarned that being in socal, you'll also be sharing that area with a certain amount of fake, "omygod!" type of folk as well... nowhere near like what you'd see in Orange County... but it's there. Carlsbad and Encinitas have fewer of those types, but it won't be quite as fancy (west of the 5, that is).

Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM

365 posts, read 1,419,528 times
Cardiff-by-the-Sea and Leucadia are other areas to look into besides the aforementioned Encinitas and Carlsbad. Just watch out for the cyclists. They come in droves

Old 06-30-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkllars View Post
Cardiff-by-the-Sea and Leucadia are other areas to look into besides the aforementioned Encinitas and Carlsbad. Just watch out for the cyclists. They come in droves
Thanks for the comments! Speaking of cyclists, we live near Fairfax, the original home of the mountain bike! There are more cyclists than cars on the weekends -- it's down right scary trying to drive around them as you have to go over the center divide in mountainous areas. Don't get me wrong, I'm a "share the road" kind of person, but a lot of riders around here take a bit too much of the road... must be all of those endorphins after their "epic" rides...

Old 06-30-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Overall, nothing's going to be quite like Marin, which although progressive, is still quite fancy and monied... some of the beach communities that have the earthy vibe do so at the expense of fanciness (Ocean Beach), but you'll be able to find both in places more like Del Mar and La Jolla which definitely have that element... but be forewarned that being in socal, you'll also be sharing that area with a certain amount of fake, "omygod!" type of folk as well... nowhere near like what you'd see in Orange County... but it's there. Carlsbad and Encinitas have fewer of those types, but it won't be quite as fancy (west of the 5, that is).
You call out a definate problem ... don't know if I can handle the "like, OHmygod, I'm so sure.." Although these days, maybe it's more like "text...omg...text text tap tap tap" on the cell phone?

Thanks for the tip on Ocean Beach, will check it out. Have heard great things abount Encinitas -- fancy is not required -- earthy vibe is a must!

Last edited by dawneel; 06-30-2008 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 AM

812 posts, read 4,084,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawneel View Post
Thanks for the tip on Ocean Beach, will check it out. Have heard great things abount Encinitas -- fancy is not required -- earthy vibe is a must!
Makes sense, I didn't mean to pigeonhole you with requiring fanciness, but I realize that a lot of folks in Marin love with the fact that progressiveness and fanciness come wrapped up in a little bundle there.

If Fancy's not a must, the job just got easier. You can pretty much look from south Carlsbad, through Encinitas and to Solana Beach (I love Encinitas and Solana Beach), probably skipping Del Mar (it's great but NOT earthy), and skipping the "OMG" factor in La Jolla (I'll still add the disclaimer that they're a minority and nothing compared to OC because UCSD does add a studious, progressive vibe, but it's your call on how much is too much) and skipping the bro scene in PB, and then can pick back up in Ocean Beach (the real pinnacle of granola, but gritty in parts) and possibly even Point Loma.

The Northern stretch is going to be more surfer dude, where OB will be more like the Haight style of granola. Here's a guy, Eric Bidwell, that ran for mayor just recently, and spends a lot of time in OB, and I think sums up much of the "OB look":

In the north county area, the beachy vibe you desire will dissipate very quickly on the East side of the 5, away from the historic beachy downtowns, and becomes Orange County-like almost immediately... so when up in north county, stay west of the 5 mainly for what you desire.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Makes sense, I didn't mean to pigeonhole you with requiring fanciness, but I realize that a lot of folks in Marin love with the fact that progressiveness and fanciness come wrapped up in a little bundle there.
No worries about the fanciness comment. I couldn't say much b/c it really is true around here... you pretty much nailed it.

Thanks for the run down on the areas - this really gives me something to work with.

Oh, and by the way, isn't that the guy from American Idol? Seriously, this is awesome ~ I love how a new generation is breaking the mold! What happened with his bid for office?

Old 07-28-2009, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,686 times
Ocean Beach/Sunset Cliffs is the best spot in San Diego! I am originally from the northwest and after moving around a few times within the beach communities, this was the place I felt most at home. They have a fantastic farmers market every wednesday and they shut down the main street in OB. The people are fantastic, it really has a great community feeling if you get into the right parts of the neighborhood. We moved back up to the NW to be with family and we dearly miss it down there (

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM

434 posts, read 988,384 times
Quote:

If Fancy's not a must, the job just got easier. You can pretty much look from south Carlsbad, through Encinitas and to Solana Beach (I love Encinitas and Solana Beach), probably skipping Del Mar (it's great but NOT earthy), and skipping the "OMG" factor in La Jolla (I'll still add the disclaimer that they're a minority and nothing compared to OC because UCSD does add a studious, progressive vibe, but it's your call on how much is too much) and skipping the bro scene in PB, and then can pick back up in Ocean Beach (the real pinnacle of granola, but gritty in parts) and possibly even Point Loma.

The Northern stretch is going to be more surfer dude, where OB will be more like the Haight style of granola. Here's a guy, Eric Bidwell, that ran for mayor just recently, and spends a lot of time in OB, and I think sums up much of the "OB look":

In the north county area, the beachy vibe you desire will dissipate very quickly on the East side of the 5, away from the historic beachy downtowns, and becomes Orange County-like almost immediately... so when up in north county, stay west of the 5 mainly for what you desire.
It's more OC-like in Vista and Escondido?!? Or are you talking about Carmel Valley/Golden Triangle (San Diego's tribute to OC)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego