Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:26 AM

98 posts, read 215,429 times

Advertisements

Wanting to snorkel in La Jolla Cove next week. Anyone ever go there and snorkle? Any tips? I having been looking at pictures online and it looks amazing, and seems like a popular place to snorkle. Are there any restrictions or can I just walk down to the water and hop in and start snorkeling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
I was snorkeling/SCUBA diving there this Summer.

My recommendation is to check water visibility online first. People with us said there was a site for this. Also check to see when the leopard sharks are around.

Some days it can be almost impossible to see underwater unless you swim far out. Others, it is very clear.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
I used to snorkel at the cove and other places when I was a kid all the time. That is something that I really miss....just kinda lost touch with it. Nonetheless, last time i went was with my grandson about a year ago.

Yep, not much to it, just walk right down and go. If you can find a parking spot. Somedays are better than others as far as visibility. The beach drops off quickly and gets deep fast. If you can, put your fins on in the water, if you can't walk in backwards.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
I've snorkeled the cove for years and it's great. As futbol mentioned, everything depends on the visibility, so check the conditions before you go in. The lifeguard on duty should be able to give you that info. I'll tell you that the water temps can change fast.....one day it will be 70, then the next 65 and vice versa.

In addition to the Cove, check out the area in front of the Marine Room at La Jolla Shores Beach to see the leopard sharks. I'm thinking they are still there?? Check out this video:

Snorkeling with the Leopard Sharks in La Jolla, CA - YouTube

Here's the map of the area the video was filmed in and as you can see, you don't have to venture too far from shore to see all the action. Have fun!

Old 09-04-2013, 03:55 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I've snorkeled the cove for years and it's great. As futbol mentioned, everything depends on the visibility, so check the conditions before you go in. The lifeguard on duty should be able to give you that info. I'll tell you that the water temps can change fast.....one day it will be 70, then the next 65 and vice versa.
For water conditions and visibility: 619-221-8824. Note that the water temperature is reported at Mission Beach, and La Jolla can be a couple of degrees warmer.

Also, for more accurate temps in a nice visual format: Terrafin SST-View Free SST Images - SoCal Regional

If the weather stays as it is the surface temp likely won't drop anytime soon.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
For water conditions and visibility: 619-221-8824. Note that the water temperature is reported at Mission Beach, and La Jolla can be a couple of degrees warmer.

Also, for more accurate temps in a nice visual format: Terrafin SST-View Free SST Images - SoCal Regional

If the weather stays as it is the surface temp likely won't drop anytime soon.
Awesome! Just called the number and water temp is 69 with good visibility to 15 feet. Might have to break out the snorkel gear this weekend!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:14 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Awesome! Just called the number and water temp is 69 with good visibility to 15 feet. Might have to break out the snorkel gear this weekend!
Wow...that's great temperature.... I went to Del Mar this past weekend and the water felt great! This weather can be uncomfortable but it's GREAT for the beach. The water feels so warm when it's this hot and humid.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Wow...that's great temperature.... I went to Del Mar this past weekend and the water felt great! This weather can be uncomfortable but it's GREAT for the beach. The water feels so warm when it's this hot and humid.
I went to LJ Shores last Saturday and the water was freezing....below 65? Then the next day I went to Moonlight in Encinitas and it was at least 70. What a difference 5 degrees makes.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bransonf View Post
Wanting to snorkel in La Jolla Cove next week. Anyone ever go there and snorkle? Any tips? I having been looking at pictures online and it looks amazing, and seems like a popular place to snorkle. Are there any restrictions or can I just walk down to the water and hop in and start snorkeling?
I've snorkeled at La Jolla Cove many times over the years, and it is a lot of fun.

The beach area is pretty small, so you may find it difficult laying your towel down if there are lots of people. Some people just lay down their stuff on the rocks behind the beach, wherever they can find room.

When the waves are strong, the water flows up to the beach and goes out pretty quick, so walking in with your flippers on can be somewhat challenging. I usually put on my flippers right near the water, and walk in backwards. Then the waves usually pull you right out into neck deep water, so you don't get much time to get used to the ocean temperature.

There is a lot of kelp growing near the shore so you need to swim through it before you get to the area where you can see the ocean bottom.

There are often lots of large orange fish swimming all around you. Not sure what species? I've personally never seen a shark in the Cove, but I never go out much more than around 100 yards from the beach.

Parking near the Cove can be a real challenge. If you can't find parking anywhere near the beach, try the smaller streets on the other side of Prospect Ave.

Here are a few pictures of snorkeling at the Cove:

Last edited by RD5050; 09-04-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
I went to LJ Shores last Saturday and the water was freezing....below 65? Then the next day I went to Moonlight in Encinitas and it was at least 70. What a difference 5 degrees makes.

Oh yeah, that 5 degrees is HUGE. We used to go to La Jolla Shores quite a bit before but we spend more time now in the N. County beaches as the water always seems warmer. The kids don't really like the cold water but this weekend they were both in the water quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego