Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,036,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I've snorkeled at La Jolla Cove many times over the years, and it is a lot of fun.

The beach area is pretty small, so you may find it difficult laying your towel down if there are lots of people. Some people just lay down their stuff on the rocks behind the beach, wherever they can find room.

When the waves are strong, the water flows up to the beach and goes out pretty quick, so walking in with your flippers on can be somewhat challenging. I usually put on my flippers right near the water, and walk in backwards. Then the waves usually pull you right out into neck deep water, so you don't get much time to get used to the ocean temperature.

There is a lot of kelp growing near the shore so you need to swim through it before you get to the area where you can see the ocean bottom.

There are often lots of large orange fish swimming all around you. Not sure what species? I've personally never seen a shark in the Cove, but I never go out much more than around 100 yards from the beach.

Parking near the Cove can be a real challenge. If you can't find parking anywhere near the beach, try the smaller streets on the other side of Prospect Ave.

Here are a few pictures of snorkeling at the Cove:

The orange fish is the Garibaldi. It is the state fish of California and protected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 08:01 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,264,886 times
I'd recommend Catalina Island as well. The water is calmer and clearer, and it feels more remote and exotic. La Jolla can be crowded, as evidenced by the parking.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,254,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bransonf View Post
Wanting to snorkel in La Jolla Cove next week. Anyone ever go there and snorkle? Any tips? I having been looking at pictures online and it looks amazing, and seems like a popular place to snorkle. Are there any restrictions or can I just walk down to the water and hop in and start snorkeling?
I spent my entire childhood and a good part of my adult like in So Ca. I also love to snorkel, but when I think of good snorkeling and good water conditions I think of the Caribbean or maybe Catalina Island, not La Jolla. I guess it depends on where you have spent most of your snorkeling time. Those pics do make it look awfully tempting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego