Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 03:17 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,506,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I give a quadruple asterisk about the ocean! I love the fresh sea air, and the sound and energy of the crashing surf! Strolling along at the water's edge, barefoot in the sand, or walking along a promenade above the ocean, watching the waves break and splash high on the rock formations, is one of life's simple, yet great, pleasures. Surfers are fun to watch, too.
Look I get it. But they have the ocean in LOTS of places, not just San Diego. People who are willing to throw out any chance of retirement or home ownership to take walks adjacent an ocean need to get their heads examined! You can do that in FL, NC, SC for a fraction of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 03:28 PM

8,502 posts, read 6,921,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
who gives a **** about an ocean. Unless you are a fisherman or a surfer. If I never saw the ocean again I wouldn't even notice. The idea of moving somewhere so I can go to dinner and look at an ocean is absolutely ridiculous.
It’s been months or years since some of my relatives have been near the ocean. Last time I was at the beach was at least six months ago to see a sunset with my daughter. And actually living on or near the beach is mostly the domain of the wealthy.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:54 PM

21,765 posts, read 16,405,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
It’s been months or years since some of my relatives have been near the ocean. Last time I was at the beach was at least six months ago to see a sunset with my daughter. And actually living on or near the beach is mostly the domain of the wealthy.
... and the domain of people who live on boats ... wealthy or not.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:34 AM

815 posts, read 2,702,033 times
Boron

Old 02-25-2020, 01:18 PM

1,082 posts, read 835,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I give a quadruple asterisk about the ocean! I love the fresh sea air, and the sound and energy of the crashing surf! Strolling along at the water's edge, barefoot in the sand, or walking along a promenade above the ocean, watching the waves break and splash high on the rock formations, is one of life's simple, yet great, pleasures. Surfers are fun to watch, too.
Man people just keep saying it for me. All time good response!

Old 02-25-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
... and the domain of people who live on boats ... wealthy or not.
Or RVs...

And home ownership is ENTIRELY over rated by many nowadays. It doesn't fit into the conversation at hand.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:14 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,814,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Or RVs...

And home ownership is ENTIRELY over rated by many nowadays. It doesn't fit into the conversation at hand.
And its entirely smart nowadays given the long term appreciation of real estate and the yearly tax write offs.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:26 PM

14,365 posts, read 11,758,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Some of my friends and relatives east and mid-west respond to the observations about being weather-bound by saying things like: “no such thing as bad weather ... just bad clothes!”
If one's activity of choice is mountain biking, there is most certainly bad weather. You can't bike in a downpour or a blizzard, no matter what clothes you're wearing.

I would add that you can't mountain bike unless there are mountains, or at least significant hills!

Old 02-26-2020, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
And its entirely smart nowadays given the long term appreciation of real estate and the yearly tax write offs.
Depends on a lot of other factors and many would disagree with you, including myself. If that's what is important to you, by all means.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:17 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,814,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Depends on a lot of other factors and many would disagree with you, including myself. If that's what is important to you, by all means.
You are right. For instance, I would never suggest to buy a home for the newbies on here that want to relocate to SD even though homeownership may be what they are accustomed to and know best. Rent- look around- see if SD is you- if it is take time and find a neighborhood.

But many would also agree with this approach too...

Long Term: I'd like to retire at a decent age. I have money set aside for that, but the idea of cashing out the equity in our home and maybe moving in 25-30 years is appealing too.

Short term: I recently refinanced and I was able to improve my home with some of the proceeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego