Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:02 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
San Diego actually needs to be bashed until the outside perception of it matches up to the reality and naive people from other states stop moving to SD. It's just about the only thing we as citizens can do to improve it, stop the decline and get it back to what it once was.

As far as I know, other cities in the US don't have quite the disconnect between outside perception and reality that SD does.

The "America's Finest City" moniker is a complete piece of BS in 2017.

At least there's no immediate risk of a perfect-weather Superbowl broadcasted to the world like there was in '98 and '03. Lolol.
I think most people know DTSD is incredibly overrated. San Diegans know it. That doesn't change the fact that San Diego (the county) is a highly desirable place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Downtown S.D. has a tiny fraction of office space relative to the city/county overall. It is also a tiny fraction compared to cities of similar size to San Diego.

A larger concentration of companies/offices would add more vitality to downtown S.D.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:14 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I don't think most people travel to DT more then a couple of times a year.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:38 AM

3,081 posts, read 1,743,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
The patients in that state hospital back ward are the type of people who are now out walking the streets today...they are the homeless.
That's terrifying...

Old 01-02-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
People that run downtown are one evil group and are doing everything in their power to remove all the poor, and the property owners that aren’t willing to sell their old building or the land they own with the threats of eminent domain or through lawsuits that claims their buildings are inhabitable and are physically damaged due to age and lack of upkeep.
Despicable. When I lived there I'd get so pissed that they would keep building these friggin luxury apartments. I made good money and while I could afford those apartments, I really didn't want to pay 2500 for a one bedroom. It was annoying because sometimes you just need a clean, but modest apartment, but those days are gone. If it keeps up like this, we may see a huge inventory of uninhabited buildings. Then downtown will REALLY have problems...

Old 01-02-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Then you should comment on where you live now.
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize the you were the forum police.

Where I live now doesn't have as exciting content!

Old 01-02-2018, 09:48 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize the you were the forum police.

Where I live now doesn't have as exciting content!
Isn't that what you wanted? Topper is the only one that continues bashing downtown cities, so I guess it's going to continue. I really don't consider downtown San Diego exciting. I've lived in other cities, and the downtown areas are pretty much the same there.

Try living in downtown Washington, DC, you'll find plenty of homeless there, too.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Isn't that what you wanted? Topper is the only one that continues bashing downtown cities, so I guess it's going to continue. I really don't consider downtown San Diego exciting. I've lived in other cities, and the downtown areas are pretty much the same there.

Try living in downtown Washington, DC, you'll find plenty of homeless there, too.
Hey I actually said I liked San Diego downtown. I'm not bashing. I just said that some of the things he mentioned in that one post weren't untrue...

Old 01-02-2018, 10:21 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
Hey I actually said I liked San Diego downtown. I'm not bashing. I just said that some of the things he mentioned in that one post weren't untrue...
He has nothing better to do, bashing is his life. I lived in the EV from 2002-2008, and that was before it was built up. The lease on my place is up at the end of May, and I'm going to looking for another place as close to downtown as I can get. Since I work downtown, I'd rather be closer to work.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I think most people know DTSD is incredibly overrated. San Diegans know it. That doesn't change the fact that San Diego (the county) is a highly desirable place to live.
IMO, it's highly desirable by people who haven't lived there before. The weather and scenery is world class, but people see this and don't get the full picture - in large part because the city's reputation is almost entirely tied up in it's geography, and not too many people know about the people (not great) or the economic situation. For example, most people outside of LA know that Angelenos generally suck, but few people know about San Diegans (largely a lazier and dumbed-down version of LA people).

Hawaii, is a place highly desired by outsiders as well, but most people who live there aren't all that high on it.

If people knew about the situation on the ground in SD, you'd see less domestic in-migration. It wouldn't stop the foreign immigrants, legal and illegal, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego