Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 33,920 times

Advertisements

We've finally decided on an area in San Diego..Ramona, SDCE for sure. So give it to me. Tell me all the good, bad and ugly. I'm from a very small town in Wisconsin and this move has me a bit...ummm...freaked out! But am very excited. I've acceped a job in Escondido...but not sure about the drive. Any info would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,491,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay16 View Post
We've finally decided on an area in San Diego..Ramona, SDCE for sure. So give it to me. Tell me all the good, bad and ugly. I'm from a very small town in Wisconsin and this move has me a bit...ummm...freaked out! But am very excited. I've acceped a job in Escondido...but not sure about the drive. Any info would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks again!
The good:
Semi-rural, large lots, low crime, relatively low costs for San Diego County

The bad:
Long distance to amenities, Ramona schools

The ugly:
fairly serious wildfire danger

Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 PM

181 posts, read 892,435 times
ok, my parents lived in ramona for over 10 years and I spent most of my teenage years and some adult years there also. Sassberto is pretty much right. But the elementary schools inside the estates (there are two) are nice fairly new schools. the elementary schools in town are.....hmmm not so nice. The middle school is definitly over crowded. The high school is pretty nice, they did some major renovations on it about 6 or seven years ago. It is also a little crowded, from what Ive heard.

The estates is one of the nicest neighborhoods is SD I think. It is great for kids and families, you can have horses, and their are horse trails and hiking trails in the estates, as well as pools (in the summer crowded) and tennis courts and a golf course if your into that. Each house is on 1/2 an acre. (in the SDCE)

Ramona is rural for the most part, though not quite as much as it used to be! And you will see livestock driving into town. In the summer it gets pretty hot. But really only july and august are really really hot. It is nice and clear most of the time since it is above the smog of the city. The winters are a little bit colder than most of san diego....you will get hail and some ice in the winter.

The fires have definitly been a concern in recent years. In the last major fire no homes in the estates were burned (so I heard) but in the last major fire before that, the ceder fire, there were some homes that did burn....and then the evacuations were a major pain for everyone that lived their. But ramona has a pretty good sense of community and people do help each other out.

Sorry to say that the drive to escondido is not that great. It is on a very twisty highway that is the only way into escondido. I hated driving that stupid road. But on a good note, escondido is one of the closer places to ramona. And at least you dont have to worry about snow and ice!

The other bad things are the closest mall is north county....at least 25 minutes away if you drive fast. There are only about two good sit down resturaunts, (not counting sizzler) The k mart sucks. There is no wal mart or target. You have to go to poway for that. The only major chain shopping store is albertsons. But there are a lot of fast food places and like 4 gas stations. The closet hospital is in escondido...or maybe poway.

Overall: Ramona is a good place to raise a family. And it is less expensive then most of SD. There are a few things about it that keep it a little less expensive...so its give and take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego