Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,660,960 times

Advertisements

I vividly recall the first time I visited San Diego--my heart melted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:39 AM

1,055 posts, read 802,926 times
Also want to indulge in hole-in-the wall Asian food on my nxt visit, something I neglected on this trip because generally the Asian food in the DC area is pretty darn good – but it’d be safe to assume that SD fares better

For "hole-in-the-wall" Asian, check out Convoy Street in Kearny Mesa. Huge selection of Asian eateries of all types here with regional Chinese, Japanese and Korean predominating. But also some Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Thai, etc.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 AM

6,897 posts, read 8,948,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Also want to indulge in hole-in-the wall Asian food on my nxt visit, something I neglected on this trip because generally the Asian food in the DC area is pretty darn good – but it’d be safe to assume that SD fares better

For "hole-in-the-wall" Asian, check out Convoy Street in Kearny Mesa. Huge selection of Asian eateries of all types here with regional Chinese, Japanese and Korean predominating. But also some Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Thai, etc.
also Saffron

Old 01-24-2014, 03:49 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,749,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post

mmm-yoso!!! is a great resource for ethnic hole in the walls in the area.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 AM

384 posts, read 596,700 times
The OP's story reminds me of when I moved to SD in the mid 90's. The first few days I was without a car and spent the entire time inland about 20 miles.

I remember thinking "what it the big deal about this area, it's basically like inland LA County".

On about my 5th day I finally drove into the city. The moment I saw the Harbor and that blue water I immediately experienced the "Aha Moment". I then knew what all of the fuss was about.

A good job opportunity pulled me away after a year and at times I still regret leaving. The cost of living is really the prohibitive factor that has kept me and 50 million others from moving (back) there.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:59 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,362,460 times
Time for round II!!!

Will be in LA for 3,4 days in mid-April. Definitely planning on driving down atleast for a day, possibly stay overnight.

CANNOT Wait!!

Old 03-21-2014, 11:54 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,585,298 times
I'd like to chime in as well. My wife and I recently returned from a 3 day-2 night vacation in San Diego, and we loved it! We stayed in Little Italy but rented a car and visited places like La Jolla beach/cove, Mt. Soledad, Cleveland National Park, San Diego Zoo, etc..
Having visited LA a few years ago for vacation and really loving that area as well, I'd conclude that if we ever were led to move to California, San Diego would fit the bill without a doubt! I liked the laid back atmosphere about it as I was pleasantly surprised coming from my home state of TX.
So, thank you San Diego for making a great first impression on us, we will be back to visit!

Old 03-22-2014, 10:35 AM

389 posts, read 664,049 times
Was doing some City-Data-surfing and happened upon this thread. I've visited San Diego probably a half-dozen times over the past 25 years and have always loved it. I like Fort Lauderdale and could not easily leave because of personal and professional commitments, but I've always felt San Diego is what South Florida could have been if it were cleaner, friendlier, better-planned and less politically corrupt.

Don't know if these qualify as "touristy" or not, but some of my favorite activities in the area are visiting the Point Loma lighthouse for the view of the city, hiking through Torrey Pines State Park and enjoying the terrain and views, and heading to the waterfront in La Jolla to watch the seals gather. The weather and natural beauty are always a winning combination.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:05 PM

31 posts, read 65,418 times
Default How does SD compare to NJ I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
The OP's story reminds me of when I moved to SD in the mid 90's. The first few days I was without a car and spent the entire time inland about 20 miles.

I remember thinking "what it the big deal about this area, it's basically like inland LA County".

On about my 5th day I finally drove into the city. The moment I saw the Harbor and that blue water I immediately experienced the "Aha Moment". I then knew what all of the fuss was about.

A good job opportunity pulled me away after a year and at times I still regret leaving. The cost of living is really the prohibitive factor that has kept me and 50 million others from moving (back) there.

You say "cost of living" in San Diego is prohibitive, but I wonder, is it possibly more than in New Jersey? I am a life-long New Jersey native and I have had enough on NJ and the East Coast. I am selling my house and moving to San Diego, at minimum, for the lovely year-round weather.

Does anyone recommend a site for SD newbies? And California newbies? My friend told me that real estate taxes in CA are somewhat regulated and that real estate taxes cannot be more than a certain percentage of the house value, but I don't know what that translates to.

What I can say is this: I live in a very modest home in NJ, in a Central County. It has 1.5 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms and I pay $7200/year in real estate taxes, almost what my mortgage costs. In addition, I still have to pay for water, trash, sewer and snow plowing.

Where can I go to find this kind of info about places in California, SD specifically? Any ideas besides this great site?

Thank you!

Old 03-22-2014, 09:24 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,485,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader_22 View Post
You say "cost of living" in San Diego is prohibitive, but I wonder, is it possibly more than in New Jersey? I am a life-long New Jersey native and I have had enough on NJ and the East Coast. I am selling my house and moving to San Diego, at minimum, for the lovely year-round weather.

Does anyone recommend a site for SD newbies? And California newbies? My friend told me that real estate taxes in CA are somewhat regulated and that real estate taxes cannot be more than a certain percentage of the house value, but I don't know what that translates to.

What I can say is this: I live in a very modest home in NJ, in a Central County. It has 1.5 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms and I pay $7200/year in real estate taxes, almost what my mortgage costs. In addition, I still have to pay for water, trash, sewer and snow plowing.

Where can I go to find this kind of info about places in California, SD specifically? Any ideas besides this great site?

Thank you!
SDLookup.com San Diego's Premier Real Estate Marketplace > Home is a good real estate website that will have Real Estae for sale, comps, sold etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego