Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 29,683 times

Advertisements

"Say No to Slow"???!!! Who are you kidding?!

The I-15 Fastrak April-try-it-out-experiment barrier machine where they are giving Southbound drivers - in the morning - THREE lanes in the Fastrak and Northbound drivers only ONE lane really doesn't work. If anyone from SANDAG or Fastrak reads this, please realize that maybe in the morning when we Northbound drivers only get one lane might work when there is a little bit less traffic, but in the afternoon when we again only have one lane, and are now going south, it does not work.

This afternoon, for instance, One lane of traffic, with 10 cars behind me and 5 cars in front of me, sitting patiently behind the guy in the front of this lot, who is not only swerving back & forth AND, by the way, only driving 57...yes, 57 mph...and we cannot pass...DOES NOT WORK!!!

As I was driving the I-15 Fastrak Southbound this afternoon, I noticed that the THREE open Fastrak lanes going north had very few cars. Why, oh why, can we not have two lanes each going each direction? That way, the ones who want to drive 57, below the speed limit, can take their time and the rest of us can go 65, the speed limit?!

The REGULAR, non-fastrak traffic going 65 was passing us all.

Sorry, but this experiment doesn't help at all!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Wouldn't it have made more sense to actually e-mail SANDAG about this?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM

9 posts, read 29,683 times
Possibly...was trying to see if anyone else had similar experiences.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by use your blinker View Post
"Say No to Slow"???!!! Who are you kidding?!

The I-15 Fastrak April-try-it-out-experiment barrier machine where they are giving Southbound drivers - in the morning - THREE lanes in the Fastrak and Northbound drivers only ONE lane really doesn't work. If anyone from SANDAG or Fastrak reads this, please realize that maybe in the morning when we Northbound drivers only get one lane might work when there is a little bit less traffic, but in the afternoon when we again only have one lane, and are now going south, it does not work.

This afternoon, for instance, One lane of traffic, with 10 cars behind me and 5 cars in front of me, sitting patiently behind the guy in the front of this lot, who is not only swerving back & forth AND, by the way, only driving 57...yes, 57 mph...and we cannot pass...DOES NOT WORK!!!

As I was driving the I-15 Fastrak Southbound this afternoon, I noticed that the THREE open Fastrak lanes going north had very few cars. Why, oh why, can we not have two lanes each going each direction? That way, the ones who want to drive 57, below the speed limit, can take their time and the rest of us can go 65, the speed limit?!

The REGULAR, non-fastrak traffic going 65 was passing us all.

Sorry, but this experiment doesn't help at all!!!!
Why would you use the lane at all if traffic is moving freely in the regular travel lane? The fastback lanes are to ease travel when there's congestion. That means going South in the morning and North in the afternoons. I, like you, drive the opposite direction of traffic every day (North in the morning, South in the afternoon) and only ever hit a snag some afternoons near the 8 when i'm almost home. we don't need the fastrak lanes when there's no traffic, and that's not what they're there for. If you get stuck behind some slow person in the single fastrak lane while the regular lanes are moving freely, that's your problem.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:14 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I've seen that on the way to LA. When you can't get around some slowpoke and can't get back over into traffic going faster. I don't know why someone would take the diamond and drive slow.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've seen that on the way to LA. When you can't get around some slowpoke and can't get back over into traffic going faster. I don't know why someone would take the diamond and drive slow.
I saw someone doing that this morning. She was holding up people in the fast lane (on the 15, where left lane speed averages 80 mph) doing like 63 mph before she merged into the diamond lane. I just don't get it. There's no reason to use that lane unless you're in traffic and wanting to go FASTER than everyone else, and using it when you should be driving in the slow-ass right lanes is just douchey.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 AM

321 posts, read 541,214 times
I think people find the diamond lanes "safer" in that there's typically less traffic and there's a separation, frequently with a barrier. Furthermore, in areas around North County Fair and Rancho Bernardo, entering/exiting via the diamond lanes in the middle transit centers can save a driver up to 10 minutes. It's no wonder to see "douches" using the lanes when normal freeway speeds are in effect.

Regarding the moving barriers, I don't support them. The rare times the diamond lanes are jammed (like last Friday's overturned semi mess) are when it's jammed everywhere.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjimbob View Post
I think people find the diamond lanes "safer" in that there's typically less traffic and there's a separation, frequently with a barrier. Furthermore, in areas around North County Fair and Rancho Bernardo, entering/exiting via the diamond lanes in the middle transit centers can save a driver up to 10 minutes. It's no wonder to see "douches" using the lanes when normal freeway speeds are in effect.

Regarding the moving barriers, I don't support them. The rare times the diamond lanes are jammed (like last Friday's overturned semi mess) are when it's jammed everywhere.
I'm referring to people traveling at slower than average freeway speeds holding people up behind them in the single diamond lanes. It's inconsiderate at best.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
The 15 fast track is a joke!
I can't wait to get one of the flying cars like George Jetson

Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
The 15 fast track is a joke!
I can't wait to get one of the flying cars like George Jetson
I saw a guy commute from Sorrento Mesa to North County inland using a single person hot air balloon. Not sure how he got there in the first place, unless the wind changed.

A friend and I drove to watch him cruise right over the canyons and all. This must have been 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego