Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 14,252 times

Advertisements

Hello there. My girlfriend and I are coming to visit your city and consider moving there from S. FL. We are going to be there for about 4 days and I am looking for suggestions on where we should stay.

I grew up on the beach here in FL and love to surf and fish. We also like hiking, boating, and basically anything outside and involving water. I know we are doing some cave kayaking thing while there.

Also we will be going to The House of Blues to see The Derek Trucks Band while there.

I would like some suggestions on places we should stay. We will be looking for a small house, condo/bungalo or someting of the sort, probably using craigslist to find it.

Thanks in advance and cant wait to see your wonderful city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 07:58 AM

8 posts, read 14,252 times
up for today

Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,802,235 times
What kind of community are you looking for? I would try hotels in Pacific Beach if you want a young, beach community to check out. There is Hotel Circle with a ton of hotels but you won't experiance the real San Diego if you stay in an area like that.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 PM

4,556 posts, read 12,453,782 times
Houses, and bungalows usually are rented on a weekly basis, not for 4 days. I would look for something in Pacific, Misison, or possibly Ocean Beach that is near the water. Yes it will be more expensive, but the water is what you have come for. No sense wasting your limited time here driving to get to it.

There might also be some places in Del Mar, Leucadia, and Solana Beach further up the coast, but I'm thinking you will be happier in the city in the PB, MB, or OB. Unless you and your girlfriend are a widow and widower in your 60s. Then maybe you might want some place other than the city.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,871,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Houses, and bungalows usually are rented on a weekly basis, not for 4 days. I would look for something in Pacific, Misison, or possibly Ocean Beach that is near the water. Yes it will be more expensive, but the water is what you have come for. No sense wasting your limited time here driving to get to it.

There might also be some places in Del Mar, Leucadia, and Solana Beach further up the coast, but I'm thinking you will be happier in the city in the PB, MB, or OB. Unless you and your girlfriend are a widow and widower in your 60s. Then maybe you might want some place other than the city.
So ... the gross mischaracterization of North County that is rampant on this board is alive and well. Good to know. Pardon me, but I have to go catch the early bird special at the Coco's with all the other blue hairs up here in Podunkville. There is life north of the 56, people.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 AM

5,319 posts, read 9,009,047 times
Check for hotels near Mission Bay. This is definitely where you will want to be.

Mission Bay is a huge water recreation area near Pacific Beach / Mission Beach. Plenty of water sports (kayaking, sailing, jet ski, fishing, etc.) are available on the bay.

A very nice hotel called The Bahia might be a good choice. It's right at the bay, and also very close to Mission Beach. There are kayak rental places right in the area of The Bahia.

You will likely be cave kayaking in La Jolla Cove, which is around 5 miles north of Mission Bay. La Jolla Cove is an incredibly scenic beach, so bring a camera.

While here, take a drive to the top of Mt. Soledad in La Jolla. It's an easy drive up a street in a residential section of La Jolla. The top has a large statue of a cross, a veterans memorial, and it has a spectacular 360 degree view of San Diego.

There are plenty of places to go hiking. I would just do a Google Search on hiking San Diego, and you'll probably find plenty of recommended trails. There are canyons to hike in right near the coast. Tecolote Canyon is one. It is just east of Mission Bay. Or you can hike along the beach, at Torrey Pines State Park just north of La Jolla.

Another place for boating/fishing is Point Loma. It's just south of Mission Bay.

Mission Bay is located right near the coast, between highway I-5 and the beaches. So when you arrive at the San Diego Airport,(which is right next to I-5) you can get on I-5 and drive around 5 miles north to the Mission Bay area.

There is a San Diego Visitors center located at Mission Bay, at the Clairemont Drive exit of I-5. You can get maps, discount coupons, etc. It's a round building with a dome roof.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-02-2009 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego