Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM

64 posts, read 107,577 times

Advertisements

Im currently in Sioux Falls, SD, and would be moving to San Diego. I would be working as a full time personal trainer and going to SDSU for Exercise Science. My uncle offered me a place at his house for 300-400 a month, until i gain instate and can live on campus at SDSU for a fair price. Is this a smart move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,581,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmac15 View Post
Im currently in Sioux Falls, SD, and would be moving to San Diego. I would be working as a full time personal trainer and going to SDSU for Exercise Science. My uncle offered me a place at his house for 300-400 a month, until i gain instate and can live on campus at SDSU for a fair price. Is this a smart move?
300-400 seems reasonable if you have the savings to offset your initial costs until you get on your feet. if you are young and single you should go for it

Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,605,000 times
If you already have your job as a full time personal trainer, then by all means go for it! If you don't yet have that job, be sure to have six or so months' cash to hold you over. Be aware that you'll be paying out-of-state tuition at SDSU until you establish California residency.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
If you already have your job as a full time personal trainer, then by all means go for it! If you don't yet have that job, be sure to have six or so months' cash to hold you over. Be aware that you'll be paying out-of-state tuition at SDSU until you establish California residency.
Yes, im currently working full time and planning to move out in middle of July. I plan to attened a community college part time in the fall and spring of next year to get my generals out of the way, than following fall enroll at San Diego State. My uncle says to have 4,0000-6,000 saved up before i move out just to have some back up cash incase some thing comes up. I will be living at my uncle's for the first year i am out there.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
300-400 seems reasonable if you have the savings to offset your initial costs until you get on your feet. if you are young and single you should go for it
Sure am, just recently single and i was looking to move before i got into the relationship, now that is over i feel as if its the right choice to move to San Diego.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,355,658 times
You'll need more than $4-$6000 saved up, though. I would say a minimum of $20K. Do you have a car? If you do, it can be expensive to transfer the registration to CA.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,389,900 times
$300-$400 in a good area is a GREAT deal so it's fortunate that you have family here. That will already put you head and shoulders above those that move here with no family/friends/connections.

Also, I think you misunderstood what people are getting at. Yes, it sounds like you are working full-time as a personal trainer there in Sioux Falls. But do you have a firm job offer to work full time here in San Diego? That's what people were asking you.

Being a personal trainer in Sioux Falls is quite different than being a personal trainer here in San Diego. Here they are totally a dime a dozen and literally everywhere. So you have to keep that in mind.

You have people that have already been in the business, lived here, have experience, have existing clients (and referrals from those clients) that you will be competing against. I'm not saying it will be impossible but you have to understand and appreciate the situation here as it pertains to personal trainers.

I'm not sure what kind of expense/debt obligations you have on a monthly basis but $4,000 to $6,000 doesn't sound like too much to me if you're expecting to find a job right away as a personal trainer. What are your monthly expenses like?

I think your plan to go to community college first is a wise one. Really the saving grace here is you have family to live with for very cheap rates and probably I'd imagine you'll mostly be eating there. Having family or friends to lean on when you move to a town like San Diego makes all the difference in the world.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:27 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,355,658 times
What earlyretirement stated above is all true. However, I've heard that 24HourFitness is always looking for personal trainers, though, because they keep opening more locations. I don't think that they pay that well, but it's just a suggestion.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,389,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
What earlyretirement stated above is all true. However, I've heard that 24HourFitness is always looking for personal trainers, though, because they keep opening more locations. I don't think that they pay that well, but it's just a suggestion.

Yeah, I was going to suggest 24 Hour Fitness. My wife goes there and uses a personal trainer. Man, these trainers charge a fortune there. I was just curious. How much of that goes to the trainer and how much to the gym?

Rmac, also do you work at a large national gym where you could maybe get transferred here?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,567,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Yeah, I was going to suggest 24 Hour Fitness. My wife goes there and uses a personal trainer. Man, these trainers charge a fortune there.
The Truth^^^^^
I take my daughter to Velocity Sports in 4s ranch for personal training.
They're can be way cheaper than 24 hours fitness when you catch their specials.
She plays high school sports so they tailor her works out around her sports.
Definitely something O.P. should look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: